THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

35 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

OBJ will end up showing up a week late in Chillicothe, not Canton.

DPJ only caught two balls today.  He was out a couple of weeks.  OBJ, he's held out or 'limited' in practice most of the time.  How do you get that QB/WR chemistry when they hardly ever practice together?  Today is the last day OBJ will be listed on our gameday box score (as 'Not Active' today).  It's too bad that he just wasn't a reliable receiver here.  I mean, we could use a good receiver, like him.  Today, aside from DPJ's 2 catches, Landry had 3 for a whopping 11 yards, and Schwartz had 1 catch.  We WILL be playing games in the future where we're going to need WR production.

But this is a Mayfield thread.  Good game Baker!  Keep playing well and we'll draft you a WR next year.

1 minute ago, Orion said:

DPJ only caught two balls today.  He was out a couple of weeks.  OBJ, he's held out or 'limited' in practice most of the time.  How do you get that QB/WR chemistry when they hardly ever practice together?  Today is the last day OBJ will be listed on our gameday box score (as 'Not Active' today).  It's too bad that he just wasn't a reliable receiver here.  I mean, we could use a good receiver, like him.  Today, aside from DPJ'2 2 catches, Landry had 3 for a whopping 11 yards, and Schwartz had 1 catch.  We WILL be playing games in the future where we're going to need WR production.

But this is a Mayfield thread.  Good game Baker!  Keep playing well and we'll draft you a WR next year.

For a 6th round pick in his second year, DPJ looks like he has a place as a starter in this league. But yes, we are going to need some more pieces at wr.

Z

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

DPJ only caught two balls today.  He was out a couple of weeks.  OBJ, he's held out or 'limited' in practice most of the time.  How do you get that QB/WR chemistry when they hardly ever practice together?  Today is the last day OBJ will be listed on our gameday box score (as 'Not Active' today).  It's too bad that he just wasn't a reliable receiver here.  I mean, we could use a good receiver, like him.  Today, aside from DPJ'2 2 catches, Landry had 3 for a whopping 11 yards, and Schwartz had 1 catch.  We WILL be playing games in the future where we're going to need WR production.

My theory on why Baker/OBJ didn't work out (I posted this earlier, not sure where) is that Baker is playing under Stefanski's system, which seems somewhat regimented, and OBJ did not. So basically, for example, Baker fakes to Chubb on the left, rolls right, and expects OBJ to run 8 yards downfield, then run an out. Problem was, OBJ decides to run a 10 yard in. Baker eventually stopped looking his way, because OBJ wasn't where he expected him to be. 

This offense isn't designed for a WR who wants to put up huge numbers. Like Stefanski said this week, it is designed to get the ball to the open guy, regardless of who that is. I do not think Andrew Berry would have traded for OBJ or anyone like him at all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Zombo said:

For a 6th round pick in his second year, DPJ

Yeah, so far good value.  Felton is this year's 6th.  Both contributed.   

I like the way DPJ catches and holds onto the ball when getting hit hard.  He's shown this ability/durability at least a couple of times already this year.  And THAT was his knock entering the draft.  He disappears in games though.   

Yeah, so far good value.  Felton is this year's 6th.  Both contributed.   

I like the way DPJ catches and holds onto the ball when getting hit hard.  He's shown this ability/durability at least a couple of times already this year.  And THAT was his knock entering the draft.  He disappears in games though.   

He's only in his 2nd year... So I expect him to make a huge jump next season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

My theory on why Baker/OBJ didn't work out

I've heard that theory.  If true, I'd stop looking OBJ's way too.  I wanna know what my receiver is going to do...and that he'll actually DO it.

Did Higgins play today?

4 minutes ago, Orion said:

I've heard that theory.  If true, I'd stop looking OBJ's way too.  I wanna know what my receiver is going to do...and that he'll actually DO it.

Did Higgins play today?

Yes I think he had 2 catches..

7 minutes ago, Orion said:

Did Higgins play today?

Now that I think of it, I honestly can't say one way or another.

I know he had a hamstring issue during the week, and he had no catches today.

Just now, Neo said:

And this team is loaded with guys that can make the play. Bryant made plays, Hooper, DPJ, even Chubb. 

Honestly, and guys who were around in the 80s will remember, this offense when it is really working reminds me of Lindy Infante's offense under Kosar.

No one guy stands out, but everyone gets involved in the passing game.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Are you using some Star Wars bullshit to explain why Baker and the Browns blew up your beloved Bungles and Burrows?

Z

Quiet, my Padwan Learner...  (that's Yoda to you)....  Game balls to Ward, Newsome, Chubb, DPJ, and oh yeah- that Ewok midget game manager who managed to not screw up.   :D  :D :D 

There were no less than FOUR major upsets this Sunday- and if you had put $1,000 bucks on them as a parlay- you'd be retired. 

Shit- I don't love the Bengals- in fact- I hate them. Probably worse than the Steelers and Ravens. Football history would have been a lot different if Paul Brown had taken the Baltimore sweetheart deal instead of Schmodell.  

You may have missed me saying whenever I have a strong feeling about a Browns game , usually the opposite happens. It's a nice step in the right direction.  Now beat the New England Belichicks.  

33 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Now beat the New England Belichicks.  

A must win game.  Same record as us.  A playoff spot rival.  We cannot lose to them.  (and I live in New England. please don't lose to them)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Orion said:

A must win game.  Same record as us.  A playoff spot rival.  We cannot lose to them.  (and I live in New England. please don't lose to them)

All AFC games are must win at this point.

The NFC games are important but not as important as the AFC games

Looks like there could be 5 or more teams looking at 10-7 or even 9-8

8 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

All AFC games are must win at this point.

The NFC games are important but not as important as the AFC games

Looks like there could be 5 or more teams looking at 10-7 or even 9-8

Everyone is beating everyone else.  It's early yet- but the Titans minus Henry- are beating the Rams. Upset Sunday.  

Just now, Browns149 said:

Damn Aaron. He would’ve killed the Chiefs

What the heck is wrong with Mahomes?

Any decent team is going to kill the Chiefs. In theory, they have the toughest remaining schedule in the NFL.  

Just now, hoorta said:

Any decent team is going to kill the Chiefs. In theory, they have the toughest remaining schedule in the NFL.  

They look like a team that has made a deep playoff run for years and the opponent has figured them out

2 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

That’s good for the Browns

The AFCW and AFCN have almost identical records from 6-2 to 5-4 top to bottom. It will be a wild wild card race.

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The AFCW and AFCN have almost identical records from 6-2 to 5-4 top to bottom. It will be a wild wild card race.

And they all play each other. Browns need to beat the Raiders for sure. And the Patriots. Gotta win those AFC games

I had this link saved yesterday.. but never tossed it out...  https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/cleveland-browns-alex-van-pelt-174489402/  AVP knows (t)his team..  

Baker has had his struggles with outside sideline passing with some touch on his ball... I figured, shoulder related? But...Damm.. 6 dropped some beauty's in there today!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

What the heck is wrong with Mahomes?

Perhaps the early success gave Pat a sense of security [Rodgers was benched for years, Brees was on a bad team then got traded and was bad for a couple more yrs, TB12 was a 6th round] and so his lack of adversity in his career means that he never has actually had to dig deep to become as good as he should be able to be? 

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

My theory on why Baker/OBJ didn't work out (I posted this earlier, not sure where) is that Baker is playing under Stefanski's system, which seems somewhat regimented, and OBJ did not. So basically, for example, Baker fakes to Chubb on the left, rolls right, and expects OBJ to run 8 yards downfield, then run an out. Problem was, OBJ decides to run a 10 yard in. Baker eventually stopped looking his way, because OBJ wasn't where he expected him to be. 

This offense isn't designed for a WR who wants to put up huge numbers. Like Stefanski said this week, it is designed to get the ball to the open guy, regardless of who that is. I do not think Andrew Berry would have traded for OBJ or anyone like him at all. 

There is a lot of merit to your point of view. OBJ is not a system or a team player. He gets off on doing his own thing. The reason he has to make crazy circus catches is probably because he's never where he's supposed to be. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Orion said:

DPJ only caught two balls today.  He was out a couple of weeks.  OBJ, he's held out or 'limited' in practice most of the time.  How do you get that QB/WR chemistry when they hardly ever practice together?  Today is the last day OBJ will be listed on our gameday box score (as 'Not Active' today).  It's too bad that he just wasn't a reliable receiver here.  I mean, we could use a good receiver, like him.  Today, aside from DPJ's 2 catches, Landry had 3 for a whopping 11 yards, and Schwartz had 1 catch.  We WILL be playing games in the future where we're going to need WR production.

I think there were 14 completed passes out of 20 something.  Unless I made a mistake when I looked at the stats there were eight players that caught passes. The most was Jarvis with three. Whether we like it or not stefanski spreads the ball around.

WSS