THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

I’d say Baker is above average when the team around him is playing well

But he is way below average when the team isn’t playing well

• Upvote 1

Plan A is paying Baker.  We are Looking at around 30M….if we are lucky.  And that will result in talent falling off the next couple years.  I think you will still have a competitive team…and I think tortured Browns fans are mostly okay with that after dealing with the team and all its failures the past 20 years.

Plan B is kicking the tires on a few of these names that were popping up this offseason (Rodgers/Russ Wilson).  This is the three year stop gap tremendous upgrade “all-in” move.  In that window you take advantage of some of these Prime years we’ve extended Nick Chubb, Teller, Bitonio, Garrett. You groom the next guy sometime at the end of this window or you rebuild one year.  Are we okay with losing some picks? 

Plan C is doing nothing and keeping Baker. Hopefully he’s fully healthy next year and he either surprises and plays well or he is what he is a 15-20 type QB in the league.  If he’s better you pay more- if we determine his play has leveled off…2023 who knows what is out there to replace him.

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

He just doesn't. He is fine when the rushing game and D are kicking butt, but, he cannot save the day when they aren't, and a top QB often can. He is an average QB at best. 

Anyone besides me tired of him in his robe doing insurance commercials ?       :(

As far as Baker Mayfield and his future contract and where,  he's already set for life it's just a matter of where he wants to play and for how much.

He is a top half and maybe top one third quarterback for sure and should have not much trouble finding work.

Will it be in Cleveland or elsewhere and for how much ?

The three most secure jobs in sports NFL starting QB,  MLB LHP closer,  NHL top goalie....... maybe a first round NFL DE also.

22 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yes…add the Raiders this year.  They attacked the mesh point.  I remember watching that game thinking okay if the Raiders can do this why can’t we.

Good article here on it too. Raiders went cover 3 with the secondary having eyes in the backfield too 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.silverandblackpride.com/platform/amp/2021/9/17/22678276/raiders-defense-ravens-lamar-jackson

Watching some of the Raiders - Ravens.   It's interesting seeing the various looks the Raiders gave in their 4 man fronts on 3rd down. No stunts, absolute lane discipline, fair amount of C3 and a lot of eyes looking back at Lamar.     

On their first 3rd down conversion, 3rd and 6, the Raiders rush 3 and drop the 3tech (after a slant over the RG) into a spy right over what would have been the A gap(s).   

On 3rd and 13 it's a 5115 look.    Edges are parked outside but both IDL are occupying either side of the center, forcing the guards to pinch their inside shoulder.   Allows the edges to attack 1 on 1 and most importantly, occupies space on said interior 3 with no where for Lamar to escape straight up.     Maxx Crosby does a good job with inside jab, double swipe and then bend around the edge to get Lamar.   That initial slow play means that if Jackson felt pressure and tried to escape immediately to that B gap, Crosby might have been able to recover.

Going to watch this further, but it's fun to see what kind of yardage situation certain D-coords are willing to play with when they get the Ravens to 3rd down re: the various fronts they deploy.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Plan A is paying Baker.  We are Looking at around 30M….if we are lucky.  And that will result in talent falling off the next couple years.  I think you will still have a competitive team…and I think tortured Browns fans are mostly okay with that after dealing with the team and all its failures the past 20 years.

Plan B is kicking the tires on a few of these names that were popping up this offseason (Rodgers/Russ Wilson).  This is the three year stop gap tremendous upgrade “all-in” move.  In that window you take advantage of some of these Prime years we’ve extended Nick Chubb, Teller, Bitonio, Garrett. You groom the next guy sometime at the end of this window or you rebuild one year.  Are we okay with losing some picks? 

Plan C is doing nothing and keeping Baker. Hopefully he’s fully healthy next year and he either surprises and plays well or he is what he is a 15-20 type QB in the league.  If he’s better you pay more- if we determine his play has leveled off…2023 who knows what is out there to replace him.

I've often wondered that if privately Stefanski and Co. believe his offense is one that can be manned by the "right guy who fits this system"... that it doesn't take a 1st round stud, just the right guy who fits their profile. (Kind of a QB version of how the Shanahans plug and play RBs in their offensive system to great success)

3 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Not really. What I'm tired of is that when a commercial  comes on,  it's always Shaquille O'Neal pushing something.

Im tired of his shitty Papa John Shit commercials.. Papa Johns is bottom of the barrel shit pizza... Its not even real pizza.. I know.. I grew up on real Italian pizza.. The shit this asshole sells is pure garbage...

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Plan D   Bring back Clipboard Jesus!!!!!

• Haha 1

I can't believe people haven't figured it out yet. When people talk about our "Super Bowl window", Baker is that window. Who do you bring in that can quickly pick up the offense while we still have a lot of our core players that's not named Brady or Rodgers? 

What are you gonna do? Draft another unknown player and wait and hope that he's the right guy? We have the pieces now to win it all but it's not going to last long. 

Right now,  in my mind, it's ride or die with Baker.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

He just doesn't. He is fine when the rushing game and D are kicking butt, but, he cannot save the day when they aren't, and a top QB often can. He is an average QB at best. 

This a team sport. Do you want the Browns to become the next Cavaliers where you watch Lebron James drag a bunch of dead beats to the finals as they stand around and watch him? Baker isn't perfect but this team is set up perfectly for him to be great. 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ah yes, but advertisers don't care that you and others don't like it. They only care that it makes you remember it.😂

Ya but them i wanna buy sneakers and can't even remember what they are really trying to sell.... Kinda backfired on em cause I don't think it's a Nike commercial

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Anyone besides me tired of him in his robe doing insurance commercials ?

Umm, I think he does a real nice job in those commercials.  He's kind of a natural.  Perhaps he missed his calling.

I've been modestly vocal this year of not being certain that he's the long term answer.  The QB's gotta carry you to victory, sometimes.  He doesn't seem to be the carrying QB.  But he's about the best we've had in the last 20 years.  And so is the HC and GM.  The team is built for this window.  Neo is correct.  There's no other QB to plug in and play...unless you wanna screw with the team chemistry and go with Keenum.  Or trade for Stafford. :)

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Well we may need a savior 

Might be true.  Baker looks like he's really playing hurt and for how long ?   Can he gut it out for 6 more games with a bye.  Well they are a 10 point favorite vs Detroit.

And Keenun then who next......if needed.

........... edit, a healthy Chubb + Hunt  would greatly help !

Edited by mjp28

6 hours ago, Orion said:

I don't see Baker getting a new contract This year.

Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him....  The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good.  And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning.  Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons.  However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100...   Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.  

Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports..  Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?  

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-cleveland-browns-may-need-to-mull-quarterback-options-beyond-baker-mayfield-010932894.html

Given our wr situation - I refuse to blame Baker. He has plenty of intangibles, a hell of an arm, very accurate on a good day, and he inspires this team.

The replay analysis clearly showed no te's/wr's getting open vs the Patriots.

Like last night - The niners have a first round pick, a second round pick, and an UDFA as their #3.

The Browns have a 2nd round pick, two sixth round picks, and an UDFA, and Schwartz, who isn't ready for prime time yet.

Now, the Patriots Jacobi Meyers - UDFA.

The Browns have got to find a star #1 WR. Baker is struggling at times this year.

But to say he is only average etc, is a crock, I think.

BTW, did anybody notice obj running stop and go routes for the Rams tonight?

all of a sudden he isn't hurt any more?

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him....  The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good.  And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning.  Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons.  However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100...   Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.  

Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports..  Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?  

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-cleveland-browns-may-need-to-mull-quarterback-options-beyond-baker-mayfield-010932894.html

I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.

A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose".  I'd always say duh! but now I get it.  The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game.  These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson.  I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes.  Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness.  I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness.  I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines.  As we know many many of these selections do not pan out.  I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools.  May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt.  The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.  

6 minutes ago, Hunter33109 said:

A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose".  I'd always say duh! but now I get it.  The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game.  These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson.  I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes.  Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness.  I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness.  I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines.  As we know many many of these selections do not pan out.  I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools.  May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt.  The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.  

So your busy polishing all of those Vince Lombardi trophies that Lamar Jackson helped you guys win?