THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker to Carolina

ATOM

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Mayfield is the enemy now, screw him.

Apparently didn't play in their loss to the Patriots. First time in a long time I was actually rooting for the Patsies...   

But hey!!! How about Rashard Higgins catching two passes for 11 yards, and our old pal Shane Gonzalez going  1\1 on field goals!!!  Gotta keep track of those other ex-Browns on other teams...   :D 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Apparently didn't play in their loss to the Patriots. First time in a long time I was actually rooting for the Patsies...   

But hey!!! How about Rashard Higgins catching two passes for 11 yards, and our old pal Shane Gonzalez going  1\1 on field goals!!!  Gotta keep track of those other ex-Browns on other teams...   :D 

Pancake Cam got pancaked at least once playing RT.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

A friend reminded me that teams are now using starters more in the scrimmages and less in the games with the teams they are about to play in the preseason games.  He's right though, and that means a lot of fans in attendance hoping to see important players getting a few series in - are paying to park, eat and drink on top of the game tickets.  With the NFL already dropping 1 preseason game per team/fan base - that's shittay!

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Pancake Cam got pancaked at least once playing RT.

I got a chance to catch part of the game here locally.. My NFL network was a blackout..

Did the NFL broadcast show the Panthers broadcast feed? (Steve Smith jr, is already eating some of his plate of Mayfield crow.. Smith also named Baker as the starter)

Our local media is convinced the starting QB choice was made in 2 inter-squad practices with the Pats..No need to risk either QB in PS2..

I've talked to fans that have been to Carolina camp..The coaching & Carolina starting OL spells doom for the CP..  McCaffrey & DJ Moore are the studs at camp... but, I will certainly hate seeing Higgy in Teal & Black :(   

15 hours ago, Flugel said:

A friend reminded me that teams are now using starters more in the scrimmages and less in the games with the teams they are about to play in the preseason games.  He's right though, and that means a lot of fans in attendance hoping to see important players getting a few series in - are paying to park, eat and drink on top of the game tickets.  With the NFL already dropping 1 preseason game per team/fan base - that's shittay!

Lovely!! I'm in town, I needed to check up on my Mom, and a lifelong friend who's recuperating from neurosurgery. (among other family things)

So heck, why not head down to the stadium to watch the scrubs play in crap weather, 50% chance (or more) of thunderstorms. If you're taping, I'd add extra time, in case there's a lightning delay.  If it hasn't been mentioned- Garrett isn't even in town, close family member is seriously ill. BTW- if you're willing to hike, parking can be had for $10 bucks, and of course I'll have my Port-a-Cellar in the trunk for a few glasses of wine before we head over to the stadium.  :)  

I didn't check face value, but my pal was lucky enough to get $40 bucks each for his pair. 

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

And Baker knows the Browns, so who really has the advantage?

Ultimately advantage is determined by whom and what position group is able to overcome their weaknesses more consistently. 

The weakness for the Browns defense is on the IDL.    

The weakness for Carolina is their OL.  Their pass protection is spotty at best, and their IOL really doesn't move bodies.

It's also pretty well known, at least by my pointing it out, that Baker struggles with his post snap processing, progression and decision making.   So while he does have something of an upper hand with a detailed knowledge of the Browns personnel, deployment and favored coverages in downs and distances, that would also mean Woods' has an upper hand of his own should he go against tendency.   Because he would be asking Baker to see one thing pre-snap, but to interpret a completely different picture post snap.   That plays into processing speed vs the Browns pass rush and Baker having less time than he's used to.

Reverting back to the position group weakness.  Can the Carolina OL move the Browns IDL enough, and hold up well enough in pass pro to allow Baker a chance to minimize his greatest flaw?    Early observations say no.     This doesn't account for my belief, which is that McCaffrey can be something of a cure-all for the Panthers offense.  At that point is boils down to execution and turnovers.

I think Browns defense against Baker and a so-so offensive line tend to weigh in favor of CLE.   Much more heavily so in straight drop throws and downs/distances that McCaffrey would be less involved in the screen game.    CAR is a team built almost the exact opposite of the Browns.   They went sexy at the skill positions, but their offensive trenches are a serious work in progress.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Ultimately advantage is determined by whom and what position group is able to overcome their weaknesses more consistently. 

The weakness for the Browns defense is on the IDL.    

The weakness for Carolina is their OL.  Their pass protection is spotty at best, and their IOL really doesn't move bodies.

It's also pretty well known, at least by my pointing it out, that Baker struggles with his post snap processing, progression and decision making.   So while he does have something of an upper hand with a detailed knowledge of the Browns personnel, deployment and favored coverages in downs and distances, that would also mean Woods' has an upper hand of his own should he go against tendency.   Because he would be asking Baker to see one thing pre-snap, but to interpret a completely different picture post snap.   That plays into processing speed vs the Browns pass rush and Baker having less time than he's used to.

Reverting back to the position group weakness.  Can the Carolina OL move the Browns IDL enough, and hold up well enough in pass pro to allow Baker a chance to minimize his greatest flaw?    Early observations say no.     This doesn't account for my belief, which is that McCaffrey can be something of a cure-all for the Panthers offense.  At that point is boils down to execution and turnovers.

I think Browns defense against Baker and a so-so offensive line tend to weigh in favor of CLE.   Much more heavily so in straight drop throws and downs/distances that McCaffrey would be less involved in the screen game.    CAR is a team built almost the exact opposite of the Browns.   They went sexy at the skill positions, but their offensive trenches are a serious work in progress.

I tend to agree. Aside from that the Browns have the better team overall, so yes advantage Browns.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

So while he does have something of an upper hand with a detailed knowledge of the Browns personnel, deployment and favored coverages in downs and distances, that would also mean Woods' has an upper hand of his own should he go against tendency.   Because he would be asking Baker to see one thing pre-snap, but to interpret a completely different picture post snap. 

And since we play Baker in game 1 that gives Woods ample time to prepare his strategies for Baker.  Plus, knowing that Baker is a bit selfish, and he wants to show up the Browns to no end, Woods can play towards that end of things also.

5 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Baker named starter

images.jpg.fb51626c9b30d7b1f98d804c4d13941f.jpg   gonna be a fun watch !

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/07/14/former-browns-coach-freddie-kitchens-reacts-to-baker-mayfield-trade

Former Cleveland Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens now has a new job. Kitchens is heading to the college ranks, South Carolina to be exact. Kitchens will work as an off-the-field senior analyst, per ESPN

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 11:15 AM, FY56 said:

And Baker knows the Browns, so who really has the advantage?

We’ve spent four years game-planning to protect Baker and his weaknesses.  This is either something you all want to not believe or you lived in ignorance way too long.  It is time to eat.  Advantage Browns. 

Give the fact that he doesn’t have the line he had in front of him- and it’s needed as he doesn’t process coverage at an adequate level-  Advantage Browns.

22 hours ago, Orion said:

And since we play Baker in game 1 that gives Woods ample time to prepare his strategies for Baker.  Plus, knowing that Baker is a bit selfish, and he wants to show up the Browns to no end, Woods can play towards that end of things also.

Woods had three seasons what is another three weeks 

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

This thread should be fun after the Browns-Panthers game. lol

One way or the other. 

GO BROWNS,  what a game 1.

This is why I'm glad he's gone:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/08/baker-mayfield-says-of-browns-im-going-to-expletive-them-up-sideline-reporter-shares.html

I keep waiting for him to grow up, but he's still this dude... but with more money.  

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

This is why I'm glad he's gone:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/08/baker-mayfield-says-of-browns-im-going-to-expletive-them-up-sideline-reporter-shares.html

I keep waiting for him to grow up, but he's still this dude... but with more money.  

Same here.  Hope Garrett and Clowney have a field day.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Same here.  Hope Garrett and Clowney have a field day.

I hope he draws them both offsides :P

• Haha 4