THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson Suspended for 11 Games and Fined $5 Million / and a bit OT and back.

mjp28

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

And let’s get something straight Baker is the reason we are here.  he couldn’t take an excellent roster to the next level and we are ready for the next level.  

Very fair assessment. 

I have no problem with the Browns upgrading from Baker.

The problem is the guy they upgraded with is an absolute trainwreck. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

The problem is the guy they upgraded with is an absolute trainwreck. 

The thing is, he was the only train in sight.  

We couldn't draft a Baker replacement this year...even if we traded up.   We couldn't get Aaron Rogers...and this Watson talent, was available, and somebody was going to get him.  In theory, he is the type of talent that can quarterback a team to a super bowl.

When, do we think, would be the next time that we'd be able to acquire the type of talent at QB that could compete with the AFC QB's?  Knowing that the team is built to win now.  - Remember, the team knew, that they didn't want to extend Baker's contract before the start of last season.   And obviously, this past season wasn't going to change their minds.

..............so, Yes,  they sold their soul to the devil to try and bring a football championship to Cleveland.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

We couldn't draft a Baker replacement this year...even if we traded up.   We couldn't get Aaron Rogers...and this Watson talent, was available, and somebody was going to get him.  In theory, he is the type of talent that can quarterback a team to a super bowl.

When, do we think, would be the next time that we'd be able to acquire the type of talent at QB that could compete with the AFC QB's?  Knowing that the team is built to win now.  - Remember, the team knew, that they didn't want to extend Baker's contract before the start of last season.   And obviously, this past season wasn't going to change their minds.

..............so, Yes,  they sold their soul to the devil to try and bring a football championship to Cleveland.  

Well guess what... It's not coming... Book it!

The Browns Super Bowl title wouldn't really count because they had a scumbag on their roster? 

Yes, an asterisk would be appropriate. I can't imagine any of the Super Bowl teams before have had a scumbag on their roster. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Orion said:

The Browns front office and coaching staff were in a "hard place and a rock" type situation, for sure.

They did not want to hitch their front office/coaching future to Baker, and I get that. 

But turning to Watson might end up getting them all fired too. I totally get what you are saying, it wasn't like top-level QBs were or are available very often, but they paid an absolute king's ransom for a completely toxic "face of the franchise". A totally guaranteed contract, three first rounders, a third rounder, and two fourth rounders for a player looking down the barrel of a one year suspension, coming off him sitting a full year. 

It's not optimal. 😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

And let’s get something straight Baker is the reason we are here.  he couldn’t take an excellent roster to the next level and we are ready for the next level.  Which is okay but in the meantime he could have acted like a mature professional and we would have accepted more of his inefficiencies at this level like reading a defense. 

Josh Allen would have done it.  We’d have no need this season 

And Darnold or Rosen we’d be picking Burrow or Herbert after we realized the mistake and went 2-14 in 2019. 

Umm, Baker was our QB when Cleveland scored 48 points in a playoff game at Pittsburgh in January fo 2021.  The next week he had what should have been a TD pass to Higgins fumbled 2 inches shy of the goal line for a Touchback in a game Cleveland lost by 4 or 5 points.  They were THAT close to advancing to the AFC Championship Game.  While 26 TD passes to 8 INTs in that regular season wasn't elite - it wasn't exactly the ship sinker (considering OBJ was hurt again and Landry played on a hip that needed post season surgery and a bad knee).

BTW, did Baker draft himself #1 overall?  If Watson is your hero today - are you at all aware the Browns didn't want to draft him #1 overall in 2017 (coming off 1-15 football)?  So, they took Myles Garrett and went 0-16 the next year.  Then, they could have drafted Josh Allen instead of Baker following 0-16; but the worst QB you think you've ever seen here just broke the rookie QB record for TD passes and WON some games.  As fans we can get that wrong; but those in charge of our franchise have to draft the best prospect for the future. 

I think you're really misplacing your hostilities all to just 1 guy.  Ask yourself, outside of the Supplemental Draft in the mid 80s that gave this franchise Bernie Kosar - when is the last time this franchise has drafted a QB that led us to the playoffs and won post season games?  Name 1.  When you're done taking inventory, you'll see it has always started at the top (who hires the FO that drafts the QBs and the surrounding cast). Since they CANNOT do this right - we're waiting on a suspension while we've given THREE 1st round picks and more to Houston.  Yay?

Edited by Flugel
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

They did not want to hitch their front office/coaching future to Baker, and I get that. 

it wasn't like top-level QBs were or are available very often, but they paid an absolute king's ransom for a completely toxic "face of the franchise". 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Since they CANNOT do this right - we're waiting on a suspension while we've given THREE 1st round picks and more to Houston.  Yay?

Time for me to jump on a plane 🛫 and leave this ____________ transaction action for 10 days  🥳 (i may miss nothing? 😂)

I'll always believe, there once was a time, to avoid this media _____ wreck..  

A somewhat decided Browns FO,  looking to trade a Baker Mayfield too? 

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/3/19/22985666/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-trade-deshaun-watson-houston-texans-cleveland-chart-browns-draft-otc

Time heals all wounds?   Time for me to check out to a Tar- healing vacation... see ya all... Stay Family Safe !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Time heals all wounds?   Time for me to check out to a Tar- healing vacation... see ya all... Stay Family Safe !

Have a nice vacation pal,  I hope you and your family enjoy your time away.   :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Time for me to jump on a plane 🛫 and leave this ____________ transaction action for 10 days  🥳 (i may miss nothing? 😂)

I'll always believe, there once was a time, to avoid this media _____ wreck..  

A somewhat decided Browns FO,  looking to trade a Baker Mayfield too? 

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/3/19/22985666/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-trade-deshaun-watson-houston-texans-cleveland-chart-browns-draft-otc

Have a blast gumby!! My daughter and her fiancé were home from Australia for 6 weeks and we did so much that it won't even fit on the internet.

I didn't miss this forum - and especially Baker vs Deshaun for even 1 millisecond. Hug em while you got em brother! 💗 

• Upvote 1

Been awhile since I looked this up. Baker Mayfield had his arm literally hanging out the socket and defenders were targeting his non-throwing shoulder. Stephanski, being a coach of the year should have protected Baker from himself there. He threw, threw, threw when we needed to run, but we couldn't run because both our all-star runningbacks had fucking injuries. Our great Kareem Hunt missed 8 fucking games, half a season. Landry was hurt, Obj quit like the bitch he is... even the unstoppable Nick Chubb missed significant time. But not Baker, he showed up and put everything on the line and didn't step away until it was clear we were out of the playoffs... Multiple WR mistakes lead to many of the interceptions that Baker ultimately got credit for. Njoku missed a game sealing catch. Landry dropped multiple open catches. Green Bay won the game on a phantom Pass Interference call and a gift from the ref... and in all but the motherfucking Patriots game we got blown out in, we were in every game. 

The grass is always greener on the other side... especially when you're staring at astroturf...

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Orion said:

^^^^^This!!!!

Built to win now with guys like Garrett, Chubb, Ward in their prime years and this Oline finally built up and has continuity.  You have to step on the gas right now 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Flugel said:

Umm, Baker was our QB when Cleveland scored 48 points in a playoff game at Pittsburgh in January fo 2021.  The next week he had what should have been a TD pass to Higgins fumbled 2 inches shy of the goal line for a Touchback in a game Cleveland lost by 4 or 5 points.  They were THAT close to advancing to the AFC Championship Game.  While 26 TD passes to 8 INTs in that regular season wasn't elite - it wasn't exactly the ship sinker (considering OBJ was hurt again and Landry played on a hip that needed post season surgery and a bad knee).

BTW, did Baker draft himself #1 overall?  If Watson is your hero today - are you at all aware the Browns didn't want to draft him #1 overall in 2017 (coming off 1-15 football)?  So, they took Myles Garrett and went 0-16 the next year.  Then, they could have drafted Josh Allen instead of Baker following 0-16; but the worst QB you think you've ever seen here just broke the rookie QB record for TD passes and WON some games.  As fans we can get that wrong; but those in charge of our franchise have to draft the best prospect for the future. 

I think you're really misplacing your hostilities all to just 1 guy.  Ask yourself, outside of the Supplemental Draft in the mid 80s that gave this franchise Bernie Kosar - when is the last time this franchise has drafted a QB that led us to the playoffs and won post season games?  Name 1.  When you're done taking inventory, you'll see it has always started at the top (who hires the FO that drafts the QBs and the surrounding cast). Since they CANNOT do this right - we're waiting on a suspension while we've given THREE 1st round picks and more to Houston.  Yay?

No hostilities.  

He’s a competent QB at this level.  And under a great setup he can perform well enough to be .500 QB.  Some of you want an elite line, elite backs, elite WRs and a defense to give him short fields or you make excuses for him that he doesn’t have enough.   I can’t sometimes….10 years ago I used to argue with Browns fans that wanted 5 Joe Thomas’ in our line thinking that would fix our QB problems.  We witnessed year after year even when we gave a qb two extra seconds the magic still couldn’t happen.  We get a guy a little more capable than what we’ve had and people are still losing their minds. 

Aaron Rodgers doesn’t have enough.  Josh Allen hasn’t had a running game.  Russell Wilson hasn’t had an offensive line for years. The list goes on.  There are a handful of QBs that can take little and still win games.  You can argue that we finally have that guy.  Baker isn’t capable of carrying this team should something go wrong.   

Im grateful. I’ve said it here before- Baker brought us from 0-16 to knocking on the door of the playoffs to 11-5 playoffs and 8-9 while injured. But some of you ignore the flaws in his game and personality.  And some of you are okay with knocking on the door.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

That is just perfect MARCH MADNESS.    :lol: 

.......It happened during March Madness, so maybe that’s why it’s taken more than three months to fully appreciate the breadth of the Browns’ brainlessness in executing a trade-and-sign deal for Deshaun Watson. More likely, it’s because the NFL will commence a hearing soon with the quarterback, the league closing in on delivering a severe suspension sometime in the next week.

It would have been one of NFL history’s great gambles merely had the Browns traded three first-round picks and granted a salary-cap-stretching contract to a young quarterback who’d lived as if he were some sitcom-come-to-life version of Carlton Banks. --------- continued in link -------->   

MADNESS,  MADNESS now just.......    D'OH ! 

But it's just screwed the BROWNS pending the final decision whenever that is.......

EpPjqZnXIAEnWXW.jpg

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

No hostilities.  

He’s a competent QB at this level.  And under a great setup he can perform well enough to be .500 QB.  Some of you want an elite line, elite backs, elite WRs and a defense to give him short fields or you make excuses for him that he doesn’t have enough.   I can’t sometimes….10 years ago I used to argue with Browns fans that wanted 5 Joe Thomas’ in our line thinking that would fix our QB problems.  We witnessed year after year even when we gave a qb two extra seconds the magic still couldn’t happen.  We get a guy a little more capable than what we’ve had and people are still losing their minds. 

Aaron Rodgers doesn’t have enough.  Josh Allen hasn’t had a running game.  Russell Wilson hasn’t had an offensive line for years. The list goes on.  There are a handful of QBs that can take little and still win games.  You can argue that we finally have that guy.  Baker isn’t capable of carrying this team should something go wrong.   

Im grateful. I’ve said it here before- Baker brought us from 0-16 to knocking on the door of the playoffs to 11-5 playoffs and 8-9 while injured. But some of you ignore the flaws in his game and personality.  And some of you are okay with knocking on the door.  

Nice job with that SDB!  Fair enough...

I always think back to how close SD was to never giving Brees his 4th chance at starting if not for Philip Rivers holding out the length of training camp.  It took Brees 4 years and he had talent like LT, Gates and former Brown - Keenan McCardell.  He also only had 1 Head Coach so he wasn't re-learning and de-programming offenses. I'm not saying I see Baker as ready to be a Pro Bowl QB; but look how many different OCs he had in just his first 3-4 years here.  Hard to build momentum.  His 2nd year we lost both starting tackles in the opener vrs TN plus one of the backup Tackles.  The very next year (year 3) we drafted a Tackle in round 1 and signed FA Tackle Jack Conklin for big $ - and with both healthy all year the team went 11-5.

I just think too many fans looked at Baker's last year and concluded it was the tell-all.  I'm aware of his flaws; but I'm also aware of how easy it would be to feel antsy about getting planted on the bad shoulder.  I'd hear Baker felt great in practice (when there's no contact); but the games are quite the opposite especially when our LT kept aggravating his ankle injury and Conklin couldn't get healthy. YES, those are excuses but the 2 seasons I saw an antsy Baker was the 2nd year and the 4th year.  Coincidentally, those were the 2 years we had trouble keeping our tackles healthy.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2022 at 1:32 PM, PoeticG said:

And most likely going to continue to prey on women... I hope he banished from the NFL and the contract is nullified. The Texans should be charged with EXTORTION and Cleveland returned our picks.

.......*slightly edited.....

Then Andrew Berry and Jimmy Haslam and Baker Mayfield. ....go into a bar......(or massage parlor, take your pick)

Sorry,  I couldn't resist this one, based upon the classic    "three guys go into a bar"    lead-in.

Like...... 

Then Andrew Berry and Jimmy Haslam and Baker Mayfield. ....go into a bar.... and after way too many jello shots.....and then Baker says hey I got a swell idea.....ahhhh....you guys call the Houston Texans and......ahhhh.....offer a whole big, big bunch of money for their quarterback......ahhhh, I forgot his name but he's real good. 

Then I'll get a bunch of money and just leave.....ahhh.....something like that.  

Andrew and Jimmy  then say...... "yeah that sounds cool".......  And then Jimmy says..... "bartender gimme the phone".

Then [insert your finish here].    

Like for example.....  Jimmy says :  WOW are they going to remember us in Cleveland !    Bartender 3 more jello shots !  Hello Texans Jimmy here......ahhhh.....I got a great idea......       :blink:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Then watch Cal, Nickers and Steve's heads explode. 

Hey it's a 3 guys go into a bar joke.

Can't resist those !     :D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Well written potshot at the Browns. 

It's hard to defend DW. It's even harder to defend Jimmy Haslam. I wouldn't have made the trade.

I still say DW is giulty of being a creepy guy, but that's not illegal. No rape charges, no counts of gross sexual imposition. 

The Texans likely knew all of this stuff, and 13 teams still went after DW. If DW is suspended, I think the Texans should be punished as well. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Well written potshot at the Browns.  Yeah, I stopped reading the article.  

It's hard to defend DW. It's even harder to defend Jimmy Haslam.  Let's not forget Dee is on the ethics committee.  I wouldn't have made the trade.  Things have gotten worse since the trade.

I still say DW is giulty of being a creepy guy, but that's not illegal. No rape charges, no counts of gross sexual imposition. 

The Texans likely knew all of this stuff, and 13 teams still went after DW.

The Browns brain-trust say that they started their investigation of Watson back in November and that they were comfortable with what they found out.  So, one has to wonder, what did they find out?  Did they know what the rest of us know so far?  

I'm no NFL contract lawyer, but I might have stipulated that if he's suspended for a season or more, we get one of the 1st round picks back.  Of course, since the Texans were up to their neck in knowledge of the situation, they would've nixed the deal.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Orion said:

The Browns brain-trust say that they started their investigation of Watson back in November and that they were comfortable with what they found out.  So, one has to wonder, what did they find out?  Did they know what the rest of us know so far?  

I'm no NFL contract lawyer, but I might have stipulated that if he's suspended for a season or more, we get one of the 1st round picks back.  Of course, since the Texans were up to their neck in knowledge of the situation, they would've nixed the deal.

It's been hard to follow at times, with so many stories reported (or editorials). 

Hard to defend the Haslams, but in their defense they stated they couldn't dig too deep due to the criminal investigations happening- I can believe. that take. 

3 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

It's been hard to follow at times, with so many stories reported (or editorials). 

Hard to defend the Haslams, but in their defense they stated they couldn't dig too deep due to the criminal investigations happening- I can believe. that take. 

If they couldn’t “dig too deep” they should have steered clear of the entire situation. Hell the only reason he’s a brown and not a falcon is the insane contract he was offered. There comes a time where you have to mitigate the risk, especially when by all intents and purposes they’ve put together a pretty solid roster.

All that draft capital and all that money on a wild card. Haslam really shit down his leg here and the city suffers. If he gets anything less than a year people are going to flip out, especially with guys like Ridley catching a year for betting on his own team to win while he was sidelined. The nfl runs a fan duel ad every 10 minutes. You then add in roe v wade which is unrelated but still very much linked to womens rights and the public outrage will be insane. (No I will not debate roe v wade with anyone here, I didn’t mention it for that reason) 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

If you couldn't dig too deep into the situation, then perhaps giving the player under investigation the world (and the team getting rid of him the world) isn't the most prudent move, yes? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Please these guys dig up “stuff” all the time on draft prospects from anyone or anything connected to players 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Well written potshot at the Browns. 

It's hard to defend DW. It's even harder to defend Jimmy Haslam. I wouldn't have made the trade.

The Texans likely knew all of this stuff, and 13 teams still went after DW. If DW is suspended, I think the Texans should be punished as well. 

Absolutely Bob. Unfortunately the image of the NFL is at stake. Probably more seriously now than in the past. And some of the greatest comedians actors directors producers in the world have had their entire careers destroyed by lesser allegations.

(And the Texans should absolutely before be forced to eat a big bowl of shit.)

My own jaundiced opinion of the me too movement not withstanding but I would prefer my beloved Cleveland Browns were the laughing stock of the league instead of the pariah.

WSS

Here's the latest from Rapaport, nothing really new again

https://fb.watch/dZcCW0GUuK/

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Vagitron said:

If they couldn’t “dig too deep” they should have steered clear of the entire situation. Hell the only reason he’s a brown and not a falcon is the insane contract he was offered. There comes a time where you have to mitigate the risk, especially when by all intents and purposes they’ve put together a pretty solid roster.

All that draft capital and all that money on a wild card. Haslam really shit down his leg here and the city suffers. If he gets anything less than a year people are going to flip out, especially with guys like Ridley catching a year for betting on his own team to win while he was sidelined. 

Right. Haslam wants to win so bad he lost his mind (again). 

Sometimes I wish the NFL had a "Stepien Rule." 

• Upvote 3