THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson Suspended for 11 Games and Fined $5 Million / and a bit OT and back.

mjp28

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I think that's exactly the case. They (the players) don't give a s***. The public the fans Etc are probably shocked and that's who the league has to worry about it because they're the ones that pay the bills.

WSS

Yeah the League will lose its stranglehold on professional sports entertainment over a guy that they failed to indict (twice). 

Im shocked that people drink excessively but have the means to have a driver or call an Uber yet put the safety of everyone in their path at risk with the selfish move.  They get caught pay a fine and have a suspended license most will not lose their job (but you and I may) and they get slapped on the wrist suspended three games by the NFL.   Imagine all the NFL fans out there that were at one time maybe directly impacted by similar selfish drunk driving acts.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yeah the League will lose its stranglehold on professional sports entertainment over a guy that they failed to indict (twice). 

Im shocked that people drink excessively but have the means to have a driver or call an Uber yet put the safety of everyone in their path at risk with the selfish move.  They get caught pay a fine and have a suspended license most will not lose their job (but you and I may) and they get slapped on the wrist suspended three games by the NFL.   Imagine all the NFL fans out there that were at one time maybe directly impacted by similar selfish drunk driving acts.  

Sir if Watson's behavior doesn't bother you that's fine with me. And it really doesn't have much to do with the grand jury. Plenty of great performers had their careers ruined for less. Most people want the face of the franchise to be somebody they can look up to and respect. Some guys don't care. Personally I'm going to hold my nose and try to keep rooting for my team. In a perfect world he gets suspended for an entire season, they start Mayfield and go to the SB. Then again in a perfect world Jennifer Aniston would be my date for the game.

It's like that deal with the devil story. You know the kind, you wish for a million dollars and your wife is killed and you get the insurance money. Somebody wished to go to a Superbowl and the way there is by signing this scumbag.

Speaking of DUI one of the Saints just got suspended for three games.

WSS

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

saw on the news - the nfl is pushing for a serious suspension length... not sure how anyone knew that.

Yeah they're talking 1 full season. 

The NFLPA is really opposed to that.  

29 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Yeah they're talking 1 full season. 

The NFLPA is really opposed to that.  

I'm sure Fritz Pollard Alliance won't be too thrilled either...

Let's say he's suspended for the season.  Do you then go after Jimmy G?  Or just go to the bullpen for the current Watson clones on the team and play out the season?

I kinda' figure that we're built to win now...and if you could get Jimmy as a one year mercenary...perhaps you salvage a respectable season.

41 minutes ago, Orion said:

Let's say he's suspended for the season.  Do you then go after Jimmy G?  Or just go to the bullpen for the current Watson clones on the team and play out the season?

I kinda' figure that we're built to win now...and if you could get Jimmy as a one year mercenary...perhaps you salvage a respectable season.

Why not?

I'd like to see the Browns be the first team to spend nearly $100 mill on quarterbacks in one season. 😁

• Haha 2

But we wouldn't have to pay Watson if he's suspended right?  His contract just pushes out to next year I would assume.  Guaranteed monies or not.  I mean, we've experienced this with Josh Gordon. 

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

But we wouldn't have to pay Watson if he's suspended right?  His contract just pushes out to next year I would assume.  Guaranteed monies or not.  I mean, we've experienced this with Josh Gordon. 

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of player contracts, the salary cap, etc...

And sweet 8lb, 6oz baby Jesus, at this point we might as well fast forward to the point where Watson gets released from the Browns and the front office and coaching staff gets fired.

Because it is going to be the inevitable ending to this move. 

45 minutes ago, Orion said:

Best case scenario BROWNS get out from under the  DW contract, make a great trade for BM and start an OK backup quarterback and finish over .500, maybe get a wildcard playoff spot. 

Worse case scenario everything else.  :huh:

44 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

it is going to be the inevitable ending to this move. 

....caught in an endless loop.  Let's hope not.  But, of course, 2 years off could make a big difference...in the negative direction.  

7 hours ago, Orion said:

....caught in an endless loop.  Let's hope not.  But, of course, 2 years off could make a big difference...in the negative direction.  

They need a remake of Groundhog Day starring The Browns. Murray may be available as the QB.😱

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Forum is just full of the Glass half empty crowd. 

I don’t see a year or a year plus here.  The only pure evidence given was essentially rejected.  

We know the media has already convicted 

The Browns traded away three first rounders, a third rounder, two fourth rounders and gave a fully guaranteed contract to a guy who was a public relations nightmare - AND IT HAS GOTTEN WORSE SINCE HE HAS CAME HERE. 

He doesn't have to get convicted in the courts to be suspended for a loooooong time, SD. I'm sorry, but thinking he is not getting a long suspension is some Pollyanish thinking. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I'd like to thank 🤓, Paul Dee-pud-👗'bra for creating such a great team/FO  moral boost... 🤷‍♂️

1.)  The picks are gone ! NFL finalized, and that shouldn't change a single trade piece to obtain the rights to Watson (as was)...Now, how The Texans knowingly, protected themselves becomes a whole new matter.. : )

Again,

#2.) Get's real interesting ! ..In how Berry's admitted contract language is worded..

“Again, I won’t go into all of the specifics with the contract, but we do have our language within the contract that does offer, I would say a typical club protections,” Andrew Berry said.

Berry also claimed.... he started working on Watson's background as early as late Oct. into Nov. of 2021 

As explained in early April,( A source with knowledge of the contract told PFT, in April that it’s a “fair assumption” that it refers to..and only, the 22 pending civil lawsuits)   

the contract exempts from the standard default/guarantee void language a suspension imposed by the league “solely in connection with matters disclosed to Club in writing pursuant to paragraph 42 as such... 

suspension results in Player’s unavailability to Club solely for games during the 2022 or 2023 NFL League Years.”            any invested team should know whats coming

but, hooked nor crook.. Haslam has to vest real money (as in a 170/180M$ escrow fund) in March of 2023..

If** the Browns, worded Watson's contract so broadly that a new claimant (or who knows how many new claimants) come forward and they cannot void the contact if** he's found guilty?

Then, they are dumber than everyone thinks they are, and The Haslam's should sell this team..

Signed, Gumby73 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

And just for fun they say that whenever a drunk driver is busted it's probably not the first time he's ever driven drunk. He's probably done it dozens or hundreds of times and this is just the one they got popped for.

WSS

16 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

And just for fun they say that whenever a drunk driver is busted it's probably not the first time he's ever driven drunk. He's probably done it dozens or hundreds of times and this is just the one they got popped for.

WSS

maybe just 22 or 24 times?  Who knows hopefully they were under the legal limit on some or all of those occasions.

Michael Florio.   June 17, 2022.  And the drum beat goes on......and on.....and on...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    🏈    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Major League Baseball suspended Trevor Bauer for two years due to allegations that, at their core, involve sexual consent and the violation of it, we asked whether this meant the NFL will suspend Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson for a full year. Reportedly, the league will try to impose something along those lines.

Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that the NFL will argue that Watson should receive a “significant” suspension, and that the league “probably” will ask for a one-year banishment.

The Disciplinary Officer jointly hired and paid by the NFL and the NFL Players Association, retired federal judge Sue L. Robinson, would then determine whether she should impose a suspension of that magnitude, something less than that, or no suspension at all. If the end result is no discipline of any kind, the case ends. If

Some think that the league will deliberately overshoot its preferred suspension, assuming that Judge Robinson will reduce whatever is imposed. Thus, if the league asks for a year, she could potentially cut it to eight or 10 games. If the ultimate goal is to have Watson suspended for a full year, the league may need to propose something more than that.

Per Maske, NFLPA outside counsel Jeffrey Kessler has become involved in the case. The league reportedly is concerned that Kessler will push for no discipline at all.

Maske confirms our report that, in defending Watson, the NFLPA will point to the punishments imposed (or not) on Commanders owner Daniel Snyder, Patriots owner Robert Kraft, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to support the argument that Watson’s punishment, if any, should reflect the consequences those owners received — especially since the Personal Conduct Policy warns that owners are held to a higher standard than players.

Maske adds that the league would like to have the situation fully resolved before training camp opens, but that the approach taken by Watson and the NFLPA could delay the outcome. Don’t blame Watson if that happens, NFL. You’ve had months to investigate the situation and to make a decision. When the time comes for Watson and the NFLPA to present a defense, it should take whatever amount of time it needs to take. And that should have been factored into the timing of the initiation of the process.

Per Maske, the league could impose discipline against Watson based on currently available information, with the understanding that further discipline could be imposed if new information surfaces. That could get tricky for the league. If, for example, he’s suspended eight games and proceeds to lose any, some, or all of the 24 (soon to be 26) lawsuits pending against him, the NFL surely wouldn’t be able to suspend him again simply because juries believe the testimony of the plaintiffs and impose verdicts against Watson. There would have to be something truly new — new claims, new evidence. Something that the league didn’t already know or that it shouldn’t have known, through reasonable investigative steps.

Although Maske’s story doesn’t mention paid leave, that remains a viable alternative. First, that process doesn’t involve Judge Robinson. Second, it defers a final decision until all litigation ends. Third, it gives Watson a clear incentive to settle the cases pending against him.

Whatever happens, the clock keeps ticking more and more loudly. Presumably, a decision is coming soon. It should happen be no later than Friday, July 1 — the one-year anniversary of the epic, four-day weekend bad-news dump regarding the Commanders, a woefully inadequate (and sloppily enforced) penalty against Snyder, and a blatant effort by the league to hide the specific facts that, if disclosed, quite possibly would have made it untenable for Snyder to continue owning the team.

Report: NFL to “probably” seek a one-year suspension for Deshaun Watson originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

Good points on the league doing essentially nothing to errant owners who in theory have higher standards of conduct to meet than players. Even if standards are the same, it would be blatantly wrong to treat Watson worse than they treat owners.

• Thanks 1

Our stupid ass team... Always making the wrong choices with consistency... We are laughable... What an embarrassment..

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Michael Florio.   June 17, 2022.  And the drum beat goes on......and on.....and on...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    🏈    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Major League Baseball suspended Trevor Bauer for two years due to allegations that, at their core, involve sexual consent and the violation of it, we asked whether this meant the NFL will suspend Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson for a full year. Reportedly, the league will try to impose something along those lines.

Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that the NFL will argue that Watson should receive a “significant” suspension, and that the league “probably” will ask for a one-year banishment.

The Disciplinary Officer jointly hired and paid by the NFL and the NFL Players Association, retired federal judge Sue L. Robinson, would then determine whether she should impose a suspension of that magnitude, something less than that, or no suspension at all. If the end result is no discipline of any kind, the case ends. If

Some think that the league will deliberately overshoot its preferred suspension, assuming that Judge Robinson will reduce whatever is imposed. Thus, if the league asks for a year, she could potentially cut it to eight or 10 games. If the ultimate goal is to have Watson suspended for a full year, the league may need to propose something more than that.

Per Maske, NFLPA outside counsel Jeffrey Kessler has become involved in the case. The league reportedly is concerned that Kessler will push for no discipline at all.

Maske confirms our report that, in defending Watson, the NFLPA will point to the punishments imposed (or not) on Commanders owner Daniel Snyder, Patriots owner Robert Kraft, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to support the argument that Watson’s punishment, if any, should reflect the consequences those owners received — especially since the Personal Conduct Policy warns that owners are held to a higher standard than players.

Maske adds that the league would like to have the situation fully resolved before training camp opens, but that the approach taken by Watson and the NFLPA could delay the outcome. Don’t blame Watson if that happens, NFL. You’ve had months to investigate the situation and to make a decision. When the time comes for Watson and the NFLPA to present a defense, it should take whatever amount of time it needs to take. And that should have been factored into the timing of the initiation of the process.

Per Maske, the league could impose discipline against Watson based on currently available information, with the understanding that further discipline could be imposed if new information surfaces. That could get tricky for the league. If, for example, he’s suspended eight games and proceeds to lose any, some, or all of the 24 (soon to be 26) lawsuits pending against him, the NFL surely wouldn’t be able to suspend him again simply because juries believe the testimony of the plaintiffs and impose verdicts against Watson. There would have to be something truly new — new claims, new evidence. Something that the league didn’t already know or that it shouldn’t have known, through reasonable investigative steps.

Although Maske’s story doesn’t mention paid leave, that remains a viable alternative. First, that process doesn’t involve Judge Robinson. Second, it defers a final decision until all litigation ends. Third, it gives Watson a clear incentive to settle the cases pending against him.

Whatever happens, the clock keeps ticking more and more loudly. Presumably, a decision is coming soon. It should happen be no later than Friday, July 1 — the one-year anniversary of the epic, four-day weekend bad-news dump regarding the Commanders, a woefully inadequate (and sloppily enforced) penalty against Snyder, and a blatant effort by the league to hide the specific facts that, if disclosed, quite possibly would have made it untenable for Snyder to continue owning the team.

Report: NFL to “probably” seek a one-year suspension for Deshaun Watson originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

Sounds about right.  Aim unreasonably high and against past precedence so a neutral hopefully unbiased former judge can only take away so many games. 

If you all can’t see this also rotten on the other side I can’t help you.  

Happy Fathers Day to you all!!!!

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Good points on the league doing essentially nothing to errant owners who in theory have higher standards of conduct to meet than players. Even if standards are the same, it would be blatantly wrong to treat Watson worse than they treat owners.

Thank you it defies logic and reason but let’s beat the drum for one year or indefinite and beyond and let’s go nuclear and void a trade 

4 hours ago, Kennel Club said:

Not condoning what Watson has allegedly done but why did Ben the Stooler only have a 4 game suspension, when we are looking at a whole year, or more for Watson?

Here's my prediction:

He gets suspended for the entire season, the union gets it knocked down to 8 games. 

Which is what most of us expected when they signed him the day after St. Pats Day.