THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson Suspended for 11 Games and Fined $5 Million / and a bit OT and back.

mjp28

32 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Hate to say I told you folks so, but that is exactly what @SdBacker80 and I have been doing. 

😆 Not to interrupt your chest pounding parade; but you 2 guys have been blaming the media for everything.  Now that they're reporting possibilities of a lesser suspension - look who wants us hanging on their every word all of a sudden.   

Nobody disputes Watson's talent as a QB.  I actually wanted us to draft Watson back when our 1-15 record put him right on our doorstep (before the off the field nightmare unfolded).  A lot of people conveniently forget this today when they have to make a villain out of the QB the Browns drafted 1st overall the next year. 

Anyway, Watson played for the same kind of NFL owner as Haslam (so just like Baker) he only has 1 playoff win to show for his first 4 years in the NFL.  The last year Watson played, his team had a 4-12 record despite the fact he finished the year with the 2nd highest passer rating in the NFL with a rating of 112.4 (only behind Aaron Rodgers).  I think he did as well as he could under the circumstances; but he didn't finish there as a wins and losses football savior.  His cap hit here in the next few years could/will cost us the ability to keep some productive vets aside from what injuries can do while we forfeit 2 more years of 1st round picks.  We'll see how easy it is to play QB all of a sudden on Haslam's franchise.  That said, I still would have rather brought Watson here in 2017 under the rookie salary cap and kept all of our important picks the next few years. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Hey Flugs how have you been lately ?

Yeah watch numbers especially the "garbage time" passing numbers,  game is pretty much decided,  the defensees kind of drop back and you can rack up the yards and even a few cheap TDs..  A 4-12 team might get a few of those. A couple of 80+ yard drives ?  Eh ?

Great in FLs too, easy pickens but maybe not true franchise quarterback numbers......just sayin'.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I expected 8.  I think 6.  I believe his career and life being interrupted like it was is enough.   But I Wouldn’t be surprised with 4.  Too many people were being spoon fed by Florio and Co….Anyone follow Florio lately?  

the new joker 

i read a florio article the other day and he said he would not be surprised if DW got zero games suspended 

On 6/8/2022 at 10:19 PM, Zombo said:

When we first signed Watson, I was happy. I defended him. "Ok, he's  REALLY into massage girls, likes happy endings, and while inappropriate,  his behavior is not criminal. This attorney has a personal vendetta for him and is very good at coaching these women that they have been wronged" 

The Browns said they vetted the hell out of the situation and that Watson was a good person and they wanted to build around him.

Watson said he did nothing wrong, and since we were in He Said / She Said territory, and there were no criminal charges ... I was all in on the new QB of the Cleveland Browns.

The NY Times article flipped things for me. I saw him as a different person: He manipulated the Texans, he lied to the Browns, and he lied to us at his press conference. 

No one needs 66 different massage women in 17 months. No one needs a luxury hotel room where different massage girls are sent. No one needs a massage girl to sign a NDA unless creepy things are happening.

We traded our future away and paid $243 M guaranteed to a lying creep.

Oh ... my Browns.

The draft picks are gone.

But we can sue Watson for lying and then Jimmy can sell the team to a fucking hands off owner and let the football people run the team.

He just keeps fucking up.

But that's probably not happening. We will probably have Briskett go 9-8 this year and then we will have to start letting some talent go because of Watson's back ended guaranteed contract and never get to the Super Bowl while we root for a team led by this creep.

Oh ... my Browns 😔

Z

I do keep reflecting back on this post occasionally. 

Hopefully this ordeal is closing in on some kind of settlement......soon.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Hey Flugs how have you been lately ?

Yeah watch numbers especially the "garbage time" passing numbers,  game is pretty much decided,  the defensees kind of drop back and you can rack up the yards and even a few cheap TDs..  A 4-12 team might get a few of those. A couple of 80+ yard drives ?  Eh ?

Great in FLs too, easy pickens but maybe not true franchise quarterback numbers......just sayin'.

Doing good MJ - Thanks!  Hope all is well with you too!

I really wish our only problem was upgrading 1 guy.  Who knows it might be when it's all said and done.

My worry is - are the Browns prepared for some depth issues.  And when I say this, I mean against the type of competition in the AFC North. The Rats get 2 Pro Bowl Corners back from injury, all of their RBs they were going to be counting on, an injured starting LB, OL, LJ, etc... Cincy had a great draft.  Pittsburgh's idea of how to draft a 1st round QB after signing a a previous 1st round QB to start (even if just for part of the year) - seemed so much less controversial than NFL body by Haslam.

Here's some areas of concern for me:  DT (bad area to be weak and lacking quality depth at), Durability at LB, TE productivity in an offense that is supposed to be TE friendly. Now for this OL that keeps hearing how terrific they are - Center seems like a spot we're vulnerable at (although I like the kid we drafted late may become solid in a year or 2). However, there's a $230,000,000 investment that will be lining up right behind the Center so we gotta be careful here.  Tackle - both played through injury until 1 could no longer play last year (I think we have some solid depth along with a healthy Chris Hubbard re-joining us.) It would be nice to have the 2 starters back healthy.  Above all, QB for the length of suspension up against the schedule... Even when Watson returns, the last time he took a regular season snap will have been at the close of the 2020 regular season.  That'll invite some rust against unforgiving opponents. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, syd said:

i read a florio article the other day and he said he would not be surprised if DW got zero games suspended 

Thanks Syd!  That's interesting considering how a couple guys in here want to make Florio the only villain in all this

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

😆 Not to interrupt your chest pounding parade; but you 2 guys have been blaming the media for everything.  Now that they're reporting possibilities of a lesser suspension - look who wants us hanging on their every word all of a sudden.   

Nobody disputes Watson's talent as a QB.  I actually wanted us to draft Watson back when our 1-15 record put him right on our doorstep (before the off the field nightmare unfolded).  A lot of people conveniently forget this today when they have to make a villain out of the QB the Browns drafted 1st overall the next year. 

Anyway, Watson played for the same kind of NFL owner as Haslam (so just like Baker) he only has 1 playoff win to show for his first 4 years in the NFL.  The last year Watson played, his team had a 4-12 record despite the fact he finished the year with the 2nd highest passer rating in the NFL with a rating of 112.4 (only behind Aaron Rodgers).  I think he did as well as he could under the circumstances; but he didn't finish there as a wins and losses football savior.  His cap hit here in the next few years could/will cost us the ability to keep some productive vets aside from what injuries can do while we forfeit 2 more years of 1st round picks.  We'll see how easy it is to play QB all of a sudden on Haslam's franchise.  That said, I still would have rather brought Watson here in 2017 under the rookie salary cap and kept all of our important picks the next few years. 

The media has been reporting the “facts”, but there have been no formal proceedings up to the hearing last week where we actually had Watson’s team present their side.  And they were able to and now we hear the “holes” on the other side.  Does this honestly surprise anyone?

What was interesting…the NFL saying their suspension request was unprecedented and we have folks in here pushing that same unprecedented suspension.  This is our team!!!!  Don’t get me wrong I would feel very differently about Watson if there was violence or force in any of these…but if there were he would be indicted and on the exemption list without a team.

Question to you all upset with the picks we gave up and missing out on 2023 QB hopefuls…

what QBs do you all want in the 2023 draft class?  How would a Baker led 9-8 or 8-9 Browns move up and get a guy like Stroud- assuming a team would take our offer it would be a haul similar to the one we gave up for Watson.   We’d have a Rookie QB (a year from now) with win now veteran roster.  Great for the cap but we are wasting a lot of prime years with some very good guys on our team

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Thanks Syd!  That's interesting considering how a couple guys in here want to make Florio the only villain in all this

Not at all.  He pushed so hard for a long suspension and now he doesn’t want egg on his face. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2022 at 2:30 PM, D Bone said:

Cal, Nickers, Steve and PoG when Deshaun plays week 8 and throws 3 TDs in the first half... 

12345.jpg

6:04... kind of like when Baker did that last year against the Bengals?

• Upvote 2

Kraft NOT 60 women offended.

watson YES 60 women offended.

kraft - actual prostitutes,,,,,

watson - massotherapists, etc.

kraft - long pattern of behavior NO

watson - long pattern of behavior YES

Just want to point two things out that keep getting mis reported.

1.  Watson did NOT sit out last year for discipline, he sat out refusing to play for the Texans.

2.  Dan Snyder was fined 10 million and suspended for a year.  (Not OFFICIALLY, but in reality)

33 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Kraft NOT 60 women offended.

watson YES 60 women offended.

kraft - actual prostitutes,,,,,

watson - massotherapists, etc.

kraft - long pattern of behavior NO

watson - long pattern of behavior YES

Pure speculation on your part Cal...  RE: Kraft only got caught once. I'll posit old Bobbie was a lot more discreet when he went to a sex shop.  

You can take the truly "offended" women down to the 24 range. And they were only "offended" to the extent they (along with Busbee) were expecting a big fat payday from their Sugar Daddy. If you're keeping score, it's down to the Final Four.  :D  

Doesn't make Watson's behavior right, but then again your morality is mighty damn selective. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Pure speculation on your part Cal...  RE: Kraft only got caught once. I'll posit old Bobbie was a lot more discreet when he went to a sex shop.  

You can take the truly "offended" women down to the 24 range. And they were only "offended" to the extent they (along with Busbee) were expecting a big fat payday from their Sugar Daddy. If you're keeping score, it's down to the Final Four.  :D  

Doesn't make Watson's behavior right, but then again your morality is mighty damn selective. 

I could care less if he got laid or not... It's just the way he goes about it is,,, well... weird... And how often is a bit... Unusual... I guess if he could just be less weird and less public about it... No one would care so much...

I wish the Browns had not pidgeon holed themselves into this embarrassing mess... My gut feeling says it all ends poorly...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Pure speculation on your part Cal...  RE: Kraft only got caught once. I'll posit old Bobbie was a lot more discreet when he went to a sex shop.  You can take the truly "offended" women down to the 24 range. And they were only "offended" to the extent they (along with Busbee) were expecting a big fat payday from their Sugar Daddy. If you're keeping score, it's down to the Final Four.  Doesn't make Watson's behavior right, but then again your morality is mighty damn selective.

THREE FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Only thing I hope for at this point is an indefinite suspension for at least a year. 

Baker Mayfield starts and wins us a Superbowl. Winning cures all ills and he's extended 5 or 6 years long term. 

The Browns then ship off DickShawn Watson and his contract to another QB starved team for a couple of first rounders after his mess settles down some. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think the Robert Kraft argument holds water simply because there was not one single complaint made against him for gross sexual imposition. If solicitation were at the core then Watson has at the very least 60 counts of it that have been overlooked. 

Apples to oranges.

WSS

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:14 AM, Flugel said:

Good stuff. I largely agree with what you are saying. 

Let me give you a high level timeline of the DW acquisition here on the board. When the deal was first announced, the sentiment was split roughly 50-50. The ladies who love Baker got their Nickers in a twist (pun intended). The other half was looking forward to the on field improvement (the potential for which Tia presented with one of his trademark video reviews), while having some reservations about DW off-field.

As time went on, the sentiment turned ever more negative. Indeed, it is my perception that this was caused by a relentless barrage of hysterically negative press. I see this as a sign of the times. Most of the media is no longer about presenting facts as they should, but rather opinions based on their morality. And everyone who disagrees is a fascist (oh, the irony), but I digress. 

Then the NYT publishes an article, and this place turns into The View Board, menstruation sub-forum. Which is astonishing, considering that the only newsworthy part of that article was that the Texans actively supported DW in his massage undertakings, and they were subsequently added to the civil suits. This probably helped speed up the settlements, and is likely to factor positively into the suspension. 

Only a few members kept their heads cool and tried to stick to the limited facts known, as opposed to moral judgements based on assumptions. Hope all this talk about morality comes to an end soon, and we start focussing on performance on field. I am looking forward to our play with DW under center, which is likely to be sooner than most expected. I still look favorable on the trade for the same reason. 

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Good stuff. I largely agree with what you are saying. 

Let me give you a high level timeline of the DW acquisition here on the board. When the deal was first announced, the sentiment was split roughly 50-50. The ladies who love Baker got their Nickers in a twist (pun intended). The other half was looking forward to the on field improvement (the potential for which Tia presented with one of his trademark video reviews), while having some reservations about DW off-field.

As time went on, the sentiment turned ever more negative. Indeed, it is my perception that this was caused by a relentless barrage of hysterically negative press. I see this as a sign of the times. Most of the media is no longer about presenting facts as they should, but rather opinions based on their morality. And everyone who disagrees is a fascist (oh, the irony), but I digress. 

Then the NYT publishes an article, and this place turns into The View Board, menstruation sub-forum. Which is astonishing, considering that the only newsworthy part of that article was that the Texans actively supported DW in his massage undertakings, and they were subsequently added to the civil suits. This probably helped speed up the settlements, and is likely to factor positively into the suspension. 

Only a few members kept their heads cool and tried to stick to the limited facts known, as opposed to moral judgements based on assumptions. Hope all this talk about morality comes to an end soon, and we start focussing on performance on field. I am looking forward to our play with DW under center, which is likely to be sooner than most expected. I still look favorable on the trade for the same reason. 

Not to sound weird but this was Beautifully put including the Menstruation sub form.

Bravo!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

Not to sound weird but this was Beautifully put including the Menstruation sub form.

Bravo!!!

😆 See - we need this kind of back and forth during the doldrums of summer...  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2022 at 11:06 PM, calfoxwc said:

THREE FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS.

Boo-hoo.... What's done is done, I've moved on.. Apparently you haven't. 

On 7/5/2022 at 11:44 PM, PoeticG said:

1) Only thing I hope for at this point is an indefinite suspension for at least a year. 

2) Baker Mayfield starts and wins us a Superbowl. Winning cures all ills and he's extended 5 or 6 years long term. 

3) The Browns then ship off DickShawn Watson and his contract to another QB starved team for a couple of first rounders after his mess settles down some. 

1) Some Browns fan you are... 

2) Mayfield's ship has sallied Po... Maybe you should root for Carolina to win one?  The Browns got what? At best a 4th round 2024 draft pick, and to top it off, the Browns had to eat $10 million of Baker's salary just to get rid of him.  That should tell you what the rest of the League thinks about Baker's future potential.  :)  

3) Watson's contract makes him for all intents and purposes... Untradeable. With his monster salary comes a monster dead cap hit.   

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Watson's contract makes him for all intents and purposes... Untradeable. With his monster salary comes a monster dead cap hit.   

Not to mention Jimmy Haslam set the bar high with his ridiculous contract.

I’m sure the other NFL owners don’t think very highly of our resident Hick.

Jimmah seems destined to make the Browns the laughing stock of the league once again.

34 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Boo-hoo.... What's done is done, I've moved on.. Apparently you haven't. 

1) Some Browns fan you are... 

2) Mayfield's ship has sallied Po... Maybe you should root for Carolina to win one?  The Browns got what? At best a 4th round 2024 draft pick, and to top it off, the Browns had to eat $10 million of Baker's salary just to get rid of him.  That should tell you what the rest of the League thinks about Baker's future potential.  :)  

3) Watson's contract makes him for all intents and purposes... Untradeable. With his monster salary comes a monster dead cap hit.   

Just for the record Larry I haven't moved on either. I realize what's done is done but one more time if this doesn't culminate with a nose holding Super Bowl victory we got screwed. And if the salary cap and the dearth of first rounders strangles the life out of the Browns for another 20 years, well let me quote Don Corleone: "I'm going to blame some of the people in this room, and that I do not forgive."

😏

WSS