THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson's shoulder

Westside Steve

15 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I know, totally agree. I'm fact, I'd rather him NOT play and just rest another week. You already know he's going to get killed against a great defense. Why risk further injury? Get healthy and come back for a run at the playoffs. It's the only way...I just can't see us winning this game, and honestly, it won't be close. Shanahan will have the best game plan in nfl history Sunday. He still hates us. 

He doesn't hate us - he HATES the Owner and Front Office that interfered with his job as the Offensive Coordinator for the Cleveland Browns.

Unfortunately, that same problem still exists today with the Browns.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flugel said:

He doesn't hate us - he HATES the Owner and Front Office that interfered with his job as the Offensive Coordinator for the Cleveland Browns.

Unfortunately, that same problem still exists today with the Browns.  

Yes, it does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

After watching Brock Purdy and the niners demolish the Cowboys, Purdy started looking a bit like Joe Montana to me. He has that "it" and was really accurate.

The niners seem to have NO weaknesses to exploit. The Browns have one major one - the head coach.

It will still be quite a clash I think.

I agree with everything except the last sentence. Take the 9ers and give away the points. I was thinking Joe Montana as well when watching him operate with so much accuracy and ability to process quickly.

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I agree with everything except the last sentence. Take the 9ers and give away the points. I was thinking Joe Montana as well when watching him operate with so much accuracy and ability to process quickly.

Hard to believe Purdy was the very last pick of the 2022 Draft.  He hasn't lost a start in the regular season since he took over as the starter last year.  Last I heard, he's something like 10-0.   The scary thing is he's getting better with experience and top quality coaching as well as ideal pass protection from the edges (and the interior).

On 10/2/2023 at 3:38 AM, Westside Steve said:

I don't really blame the kid for having a bad outing his first game in the NFL against one of the better defenses. It's not like our defense would have performed up to the reputation even with a healthy Watson. But if we are calling plays it require him to take off and run this is what we get. If it's a rotator cuff time to get used to DTR.

WSS

I do not believe it was a hit.

I believe by preventing him from going to massage parlors he has injured his shoulder from having to jack off all day long.

Trust me, this is something I know a lot about.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I do not believe it was a hit.

I believe by preventing him from going to massage parlors he has injured his shoulder from having to jack off all day long.

Trust me, this is something I know a lot about.

I heard from MKC it's a rotator cuff either contusion or slight tear.

💸🔥

WSS

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

💸🔥

WSS

I heard that on the Daily Grossi Podcast yesterday...

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

💸🔥

WSS

Either is not great for a potential starting quarterback,   period.    

A hangover from too much sideline-itis.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Being reported that 4 Browns players didn’t practice today:

Watson 

Bitonio

Njoku

Garrett

This Sunday might be a bloodbath.

Yes, and the sun may come up in the morning. This is a bloodbath waiting to happen and it doesn't matter who plays.

I love Browns football but this team, ownership, and leadership have sucked the kardiac spirit right out of everyone.

Fuck, even Bill Murray got a break after a bit of sufferring. We will never be rid of Ned Ryerson aka Haslam.

WTF else can possibly happen before Sunday? For the Browns, that's a fucking lifetime

We're only a 6 point underdog?  We'll be farther behind than that after the 1st 9'er drive.

I'll never understand paying 230 million and 3 first round draft picks for a QB, and not mandating that he not allow himself to take a hit.  I would've had it written into his contract.  If you knowingly take on defenders without sliding and get hurt, 75 million comes off your contract.

It's always been a QB driven league.  Without a good one, your team is crap.

• Upvote 1

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/10/a-rotator-cuff-contusion-like-deshaun-watsons-can-take-anywhere-from-2-6-weeks-to-fully-heal-says-orthopedic-surgeon.html

MKC: Rotator Cuff Contusion can take 2-6 weeks to heal. 

Watson was injured a week and a half ago. 

Edit: Watson was injured two and a half weeks ago, when I originally wrote this Weds 10/11. Math is hard. 

40 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

MKC: Rotator Cuff Contusion can take 2-6 weeks to heal. 

Watson was injured a week and a half ago. 

OK, so it's pointless to put him in this week against the 49'ers.  That puts us at 3 weeks for the Colts.  4 weeks for the Seahawks.  5 weeks for the Cardinals and 6 weeks for the Ravens.  (I wanna see the x-rays)

15 hours ago, Orion said:

We're only a 6 point underdog?  We'll be farther behind than that after the 1st 9'er drive.

I'll never understand paying 230 million and 3 first round draft picks for a QB, and not mandating that he not allow himself to take a hit.  I would've had it written into his contract.  If you knowingly take on defenders without sliding and get hurt, 75 million comes off your contract.

It's always been a QB driven league.  Without a good one, your team is crap.

Spot on.  I wouldn't change a thing you wrote.  

Having said that, the Browns would have been committing to a percentage of the player where fleet of foot created much of the previous success.  Now, we're looking at re-wiring the player when we saw our 2 Offensive Tackles getting consistently beat at Pittsburgh. I guess what I'm saying is if they were going after Deshaun Watson to turn him into a stationary Bernie Kosar - I can think of 230 million reasons + 3 1st round draft picks why that's not advisable.  This offensive design and coordination the QB has to trust and perform under led to Andrew Berry going on record with "I didn't draft Baker."  

IF the Browns kept Baker only 1 more season and remained as bad as popular opinion said he would - the Browns could have been in position to DRAFT CJ Stroud. This means they probably would have drafted Bryce Young instead.  Whatever guy they picked would have been at the mercy of the offensive brain trust here.  This franchise serial kills young QB careers.  Does anyone REALLY think this offensive brain trust is capable of taking the last player of an NFL draft (ie; Brock Purdy) and turning him into one of the most impressive QBs in the league within in his 1st 10-12 regular season starts without a loss?  They're not nearly as organized or intelligent. Not even close.  And they certainly don't have a FO that would keep a guy like Wills starting as a blindside tackle this long if they cared about QB health or time to throw.

There are QBs in this league where running the ball and breaking tackles is a big part of their game (Allen and Hurts) risky or not.  Having said that - Philly has a kickass offensive line because - well, they know WHO they are.  They have a philosophy as foundation instead of the Clevelandesque who are we today? Only 1 guy will be held accountable and it probably won't be up as high as the FO as usual. Sorry, just venting... 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

230 million baby.  Just Imagine if we kept Baker and all them draft picks?  We are now in year 1.5 of the DW era and I think it was a bad deal.  How are we better than we were with Mayfield???  Honest question.  Anyone think we are going to the playoffs this season???  If so...how??

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

230 million baby.  Just Imagine if we kept Baker and all them draft picks?  We are now in year 1.5 of the DW era and I think it was a bad deal.  How are we better than we were with Mayfield???  Honest question.  Anyone think we are going to the playoffs this season???  If so...how??

Amazing , isn't it? It's funny watching all the DW4 knob swabbers afford DW all the excuses they wouldn't allow BM to have?.. Now no one here is saying Baker was/is Elite.. But isn't that what DW is supposed to be?... Elite? So far I'm not seeing it.. He's had bad games and a couple decent ones... It's like when someone comes back from a life changing period in life.. Stevie Ray Vaughan for example.. They just aren't the same.. The guitar sound didn't have the same searing nastiness it used to have.. It was a watered down sober version of Stevie.. I'm glad he sobered up... But he lost something... And I think the same has happened to Watson.. Now this injury?.. LMAOOOO!!!!!,,,,,,  Atta boy Jimmuh! Keep the bean counters and the lazy happy and healthy....Or UN healthy!...

Maybe they'll give Kevvy a "Participation Award" for his tenure with the Browns

"Isnt Njoku quite the souldja now!! "

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

I was against this deal from day one, and was an obvious desperation move by the Browns FO.

If this deal doesn’t pan out, it will set this organization back 5 years and someone needs to get shit canned.

As a Browns fan I hope DW and Stefanski get their shit together…and soon.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

True but did Watson hold a pistol to their head to make this happen?  If I remember correctly, and maybe I don't, Watson narrowed his hopeful interested teams down to a couple that didn't include Cleveland.

People are choosing to hate the symptoms of a very bad ownership and FO far more than the very bad ownership and FO.

Andrew Berry declared "I didn't draft Baker Mayfield" before he played with the same injury Matt Hasselback had on the shoulder opposite of their throwing arms.  Hasselbeck said that injury compromised his mechanics enough for the worst year of his career.  

The FO cost themselves the opportunity of landing CJ Stroud in this year's draft by not sticking Baker back in this dumpster fire Depodesta and Stefanski called an offense.  IMO, this is what people should be pissed off at more than Watson.

Does anyone REALLY think the last pick in the 2022 draft Brock Purdy would look any different here than DTR looked like vrs Baltimore? Instead, he's employed by a strong ownership, Great GM John Lynch and damn good HC Kyle Shanahan.  It's the difference between night and day.

This is Jimmy Haslam's Cleveland Browns...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

we're looking at re-wiring the player when we saw our 2 Offensive Tackles getting consistently beat at Pittsburgh. I guess what I'm saying is if they were going after Deshaun Watson to turn him into a stationary Bernie Kosar - I can think of 230 million reasons + 3 1st round draft picks why that's not advisable. 

True Dat.  

In reality, I'm not saying that he can't run.  A QB that can run is an advantage.  I'm saying that he cannot take on tacklers.  He HAS TO get down and slide.  But nope, he's gotta do a Nick Chubb impersonation.  It's just not smart.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

True Dat.  

In reality, I'm not saying that he can't run.  A QB that can run is an advantage.  I'm saying that he cannot take on tacklers.  He HAS TO get down and slide.  But nope, he's gotta do a Nick Chubb impersonation.  It's just not smart.

That stuff in bold above from you is a good clarification and it's pretty much where I thought you were on it. Yeah, I join you in not wanting to see him dip a shoulder and/or throw a flipper into defenders downfield. Sometimes I see Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts doing that stuff but they're bigger/stronger/more powerfully built and it looks like both of them are faster than Watson.  Hurts won 3 powerlifting meets in the state of Texas when he was in high school and placed high in others.  In saying that about both guys, they both have to be careful too.  There's been concerns in Buffalo about how frequently Josh likes to run the ball.  

When Joe Burrow or Patrick Mahomes have healthy ankles/calves - they're both very elusive and tough to sack.  They're smart in how they avoid hits when they escape the pocket.  I'd like Watson to be like that. It would be nice to see some bootleg waggle passes/runs for a mobile QB like Watson.  Joe Gibbs LOVED the waggle pass when he had Theisman at QB and the Hogs up front.  The key to setting up the QB bootlegs is the ideal play-action fakes from the QB who simultaneously hides the ball extremely well until he's outside the pocket with the option to run or throw. If he throws - that side or third of the field has 3 receivers.  1 about 10 yards deep, the next about 20 yards deep and the last about 30-40 yards deep. A receiver lining up on the other side of the formation does a post pattern.  It gives the QB nice options.  His biggest challenge would be perfecting the playaction which a full season of repetition in practice would make possible.

Anyway, I don't get the sense we have the brain trust to setup and run a competitive offense in the AFC North.  Hopefully I'm wrong once again...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Picking up a new Bentley,.

That fricking sucks. I don't believe in curses but this is unbelievable, now that we have a SB calibre defense we lose our starting QB. No offense will start negatively impacting the defense. Not even sure if I'll watch any games with PJ or DTR starting.

8 hours ago, nickers said:

Amazing , isn't it? It's funny watching all the DW4 knob swabbers afford DW all the excuses they wouldn't allow BM to have?.. Now no one here is saying Baker was/is Elite.. But isn't that what DW is supposed to be?... Elite? So far I'm not seeing it.. He's had bad games and a couple decent ones... It's like when someone comes back from a life changing period in life.. Stevie Ray Vaughan for example.. They just aren't the same.. The guitar sound didn't have the same searing nastiness it used to have.. It was a watered down sober version of Stevie.. I'm glad he sobered up... But he lost something... And I think the same has happened to Watson.. Now this injury?.. LMAOOOO!!!!!,,,,,,  Atta boy Jimmuh! Keep the bean counters and the lazy happy and healthy....Or UN healthy!...

Maybe they'll give Kevvy a "Participation Award" for his tenure with the Browns

"Isnt Njoku quite the souldja now!! "

If anyone really cares about Baker Mayfield as a QB - why on earth would they want to keep seeing him play for the offensive brain-trust in Cleveland that has to have Jimmy Haslam's approval signing off on the weekly game plans every Friday?

It doesn't make any sense.  He's 3-1 on a schedule that allowed him to beat 2 teams that were 0-3 heading into last Sunday.  He's got a 6'6" Mike Evans that's made a bunch of Pro Bowls already with another guy that's frequented Pro Bowls Chris Godwin.  He's got a FO and Head Coach that are glad he's there.  His new and improved fan-club in here doesn't want that for him?

Just being honest, and I was one of the guys on THIS board that wanted Cleveland to draft Baker Mayfield over Josh Rosen and Josh Allen (ouch!) in 2018.  Having said that, I also wanted the Browns to draft Watson in 2017.   Both guys led their teams to the playoffs (Baker once & Watson twice in the 3 years he suited up for Houston). IMO, Watson was a more consistent QB than Baker in their 1st contracts.  I loved Baker as a rookie  throwing 27 TD passes in just 13 starts (not bad for a team coming off 0-16 football); and thought his 26 TD passes to 8 INTs in the 2020 playoff season was good.  Having said that, Watson overcame a double-digit deficit to beat Josh Allen and the Bills in 2020.  They lost to the Chiefs the next week.  He was establishing himself as one of the toughest QBs to beat before Houston imploded.

Against TN - he started to look like the Watson I remembered in Houston.  Now he's injured.  Welcome to Cleveland!!!!