THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson's shoulder

Westside Steve

Everything I said we couldn't do...we're doing all of it on the first drive. Here comes play action, wide open touchdown. 

On 10/11/2023 at 6:55 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I agree with everything except the last sentence. Take the 9ers and give away the points. I was thinking Joe Montana as well when watching him operate with so much accuracy and ability to process quickly.

Let's bring some reality into the Joe Montana debate.

Brian Sipe was a better QB than Montana. The only difference is that Sipe didn't have the benefit of Debartolo mafioso buying referees.

NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY benefitted more than Montana from phony calls, invisible calls, AND a team that was able to build a roster by paying players under the table to exceed the cap.

I remember once Minnifield was flagged for a dirty hit on Montana, and we were playing the Bengals.

The Niners should have all.Montana SBs revoked as they were made possible by the mafia.

Think it is a joke? The Ravens used the 9ers for asswipe in the SB, and MAGICALLY all the lights in the stadium went out.

Fuck the 9ers. Fuck Montana. If I ever meet the Cocksucker, I will tell him he suck's.mob cock.

I seriously, at 68, after surgeryfor a 95% arterial blockage, I really would fistfight any 3 non Browns players to a bare knuckle fistfight.

Let me tell you something, fighting is about hate. It is about penetrating someone's throat, taking out an eye, or literally ripping away flesh with your teeth and jaw.

Fuck everyone who is not us.

True story.....I was hired as a personal guard to Ed Debartolo  when I was in college. His security chief saw me throw out two 98 pound weakling who kept bumping in to me during a betting football night.

In my interview they asked me what I would do if someone came up on Eddie's property while I was working.

I answered, beat the living fuck out of them with a bat, slice their throat, and notify Bill Moses so they could deal with it.

They hired me.

Isten, love is wonderful, but hate? Nothing is as satisfying.

• Haha 1

First and for the record, I'm not a fan of Watson the man or Watson the player as the starting QB of the Browns and I really hate what the Browns gave up in terms of draft capital and guaranteed money for him..... now with that being said, I wanted to give my 2 cents on his shoulder injury from a first hand experience point of view.

Back on April 1st of this year, I went from a normal Saturday at noon, to not being able to touch my mouth with my left hand by 9pm and it was completely out of the blue. No falls on my bike, no injuries working or working out. Nothing.

By Sunday morning I was not able to raise my left arm to get my hand higher than my waistband without excruciating pain. I also couldn't even get my left elbow onto the armrest of my recliner without almost becoming nauseous from pain. 

I thought for sure I somehow tore my rotator cuff, but on Tuesday morning I was diagnosed with "Calcific Tendonitis".

Basically it is a cyst like sack of calcified crap that forms in the tendon of the rotator cuff where it squeezes through the shoulder joint and causes massive amounts of pain. Many female patients say it's even worse than child birth and I will say it was one of the most painful things I have dealt with and my surgical list is well into the double digits.

On that Tuesday Dr's visit, I received an ultrasound guided steroid injection which helped it to settle down to just being really painful. I started PT 6 days later and by the end of April I could finally reach up to the upper cabinet and put away my own coffee mug, albeit with significant pain. I was finally able to wash my head in the shower by the end of May with slight pain. 

Early in June I was able to do very light street type rides on my mountain bike and at the end of June I was back out on the trail although at slow speeds. By the end of August I was back to riding at 100% as well as doing most other things, but did them all with discomfort and apprehension.

As I type this, I have not done a single pushup or pullup since that Saturday on April 1st and I am still very cautious when I reach up to do anything. My pain is all but gone now with the occasional, "Oh shit, is it coming back?" day here or there.

All of this is to say that while it's easy to say (myself included) that the 230 million dollar franchise QB needs to "suck it up and play",  I'm here to say that if his rotator cuff contusion is anything like what I experienced, that is simply impossible.

So as much as I really don't like anything about Watson, I just wanted to give my experience to sort of come to his defense. I do wish the Browns and Watson himself would be more forthright in talking about his injury as it seems really greasy the way they are both handling it. 

Just my .02  (that's for Tour) 

• Upvote 1

I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  

I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  

PJs decision making was awful.  Is there a Dobbs or comparable out there? 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  

I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  

Get fitzmagic out of retirement?.. Probably not a wise idea but desperate times require desperate measures...

10 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

PJs decision making was awful.

Yeah.  As a play wore on and he was running out of options, he'd take a bad one.  The first read had to be open.

And if he was on the run, forget-about-it.  He wasn't getting the ball anywhere near the receiver.  But I need to give him credit for running the offense.  We didn't get any delay of game penalties (c-l-o-s-e once or twice) and he got people lined up properly, didn't screw up any snaps or hand-offs....any one of which might have cost us the game.  I'm happy for him.  But we need our starting QB back.

19 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Briskett is on the Wash bench. Requires a trade.

On 10/15/2023 at 6:11 PM, D Bone said:

First and for the record, I'm not a fan of Watson the man or Watson the player as the starting QB of the Browns and I really hate what the Browns gave up in terms of draft capital and guaranteed money for him..... now with that being said, I wanted to give my 2 cents on his shoulder injury from a first hand experience point of view.

Back on April 1st of this year, I went from a normal Saturday at noon, to not being able to touch my mouth with my left hand by 9pm and it was completely out of the blue. No falls on my bike, no injuries working or working out. Nothing.

By Sunday morning I was not able to raise my left arm to get my hand higher than my waistband without excruciating pain. I also couldn't even get my left elbow onto the armrest of my recliner without almost becoming nauseous from pain. 

I thought for sure I somehow tore my rotator cuff, but on Tuesday morning I was diagnosed with "Calcific Tendonitis".

Basically it is a cyst like sack of calcified crap that forms in the tendon of the rotator cuff where it squeezes through the shoulder joint and causes massive amounts of pain. Many female patients say it's even worse than child birth and I will say it was one of the most painful things I have dealt with and my surgical list is well into the double digits.

On that Tuesday Dr's visit, I received an ultrasound guided steroid injection which helped it to settle down to just being really painful. I started PT 6 days later and by the end of April I could finally reach up to the upper cabinet and put away my own coffee mug, albeit with significant pain. I was finally able to wash my head in the shower by the end of May with slight pain. 

Early in June I was able to do very light street type rides on my mountain bike and at the end of June I was back out on the trail although at slow speeds. By the end of August I was back to riding at 100% as well as doing most other things, but did them all with discomfort and apprehension.

As I type this, I have not done a single pushup or pullup since that Saturday on April 1st and I am still very cautious when I reach up to do anything. My pain is all but gone now with the occasional, "Oh shit, is it coming back?" day here or there.

All of this is to say that while it's easy to say (myself included) that the 230 million dollar franchise QB needs to "suck it up and play",  I'm here to say that if his rotator cuff contusion is anything like what I experienced, that is simply impossible.

So as much as I really don't like anything about Watson, I just wanted to give my experience to sort of come to his defense. I do wish the Browns and Watson himself would be more forthright in talking about his injury as it seems really greasy the way they are both handling it. 

Just my .02  (that's for Tour) 

That is really a valid viewpoint. When you get your shoulder all the way back, you will really appreciate everything about it every day.

I have even less use for him, but the evening I slipped in the mud and completely tore my rotator cuff, it was months before I could throw  bales again.

I finally have my second knee replaced - a good bit of pain so often over all these years is no more. After a few weeks of PT, I walk without a walker, normally. I'm fascinated how stable it is. No more near dislocated knee/kneecap.

Your shoulder problem had to be hell - at least a tear can be fixed with surgery.

His shoulder injury is not cause to ridicule it - at least they don't have him all duct taped up and send him out there.

• Upvote 1

Washington won’t trade brisket because their #3 is Jake Fromm

Guy like Foles, Flacco, McCoy are out there though. I can’t imagine they’d be worse #2’s than what we have.

If PJ plays another stinker on Sunday I really hope they make qb 2 a priority though. Watson will miss snaps and probably games even after he comes back, it’s just his play style.

43 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Washington won’t trade brisket because their #3 is Jake Fromm

Guy like Foles, Flacco, McCoy are out there though. I can’t imagine they’d be worse #2’s than what we have.

If PJ plays another stinker on Sunday I really hope they make qb 2 a priority though. Watson will miss snaps and probably games even after he comes back, it’s just his play style.

Definitely want to improve the QB room if possible, but Watson's last three seasons in Houston he did start in 47 of the possible 48 games. 

• Like 1

How has nobody posted that Watson was throwing gas Friday and by all accounts will play Sunday? Guys, unless he has a setback, he's playing Sunday and the shoulder crap is over! Now, he has to be careful, which isn't his thing, but dang I'm excited. I couldn't watch PJ again...I just couldn't. Not against a winnable for with so much on the line. Don't forget the Colts beat Baltimore, which has tie break implications. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

How has nobody posted that Watson was throwing gas Friday and by all accounts will play Sunday? Guys, unless he has a setback, he's playing Sunday and the shoulder crap is over! Now, he has to be careful, which isn't his thing, but dang I'm excited. I couldn't watch PJ again...I just couldn't. Not against a winnable for with so much on the line. Don't forget the Colts beat Baltimore, which has tie break implications. 

PJ was awful... How the hell did he beat out Mayfield last year is totally hilarious.. But then I remember Matt Rhule was the coach..

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

ya he is starting, I wonder if the line moved  ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, syd said:

ya he is starting, I wonder if the line moved  ?

Oh it HAD to move, right? I mean, I was trying to be optimistic and predict a Browns victory with PJ, and I got there, but it didn't feel great. Felt like our defense would bail us out and we'd win the ugliest of uglies. 

What a difference a day makes! Watson is close to 100%...how do I know? Because you DON'T play a franchise QB with a shoulder injury unless he feels good. What many fans and pundits didn't realize is the muscle Watson bruised was the EXACT muscle used to throw. It would be like trying to play soccer when your foot is badly asleep. 

So we waited, we bungled the communication, but we got the healing done right. The early bye week we all hated likely saved our asses because Watson missed 1 less game. We're playing in a dome, and not just any dome, a dome Watson OWNS. It's time to get our WRs and TEs involved and you're going to see it in a couple hours. Either Njoku or Moore will have a nice game, if not both. Watson will play mostly good, with a few imperfections. Should be fun guys, but remember, weird shit happens on the road, so it'll be closer than we want until late. That's my prediction, anyway, but we'll still win by 10+ when it's all said and done. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bbedward said:

I can tell you as I speak there is such a thing as guarding, as in trying not to cause further injury by not using full motion. I have exactly that problem in racquetball right now and can't hit a tennis type overhead into either front corner which was a staple in my best shots. I now have to use a half overhead with wrist and elbow and go to the ceiling game instead. I do something similar on backhands, using wrist and elbow but not full use of arm and shoulder. Just go for accuracy over power.

To make a long story short, I fully understand what Kevin is talking about. DW is definitely "guarding" that shoulder and it screws up his throws. It takes time and a lot of daily rehab exercises to get full functioning back without pain. There is no fast track for that. Do a youtube on rotator cuff rehab and you will see exactly what I mean.

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I can tell you as I speak there is such a thing as guarding, as in trying not to cause further injury by not using full motion. I have exactly that problem in racquetball right now and can't hit a tennis type overhead into either front corner which was a staple in my best shots. I now have to use a half overhead with wrist and elbow and go to the ceiling game instead. I do something similar on backhands, using wrist and elbow but not full use of arm and shoulder. Just go for accuracy over power.

To make a long story short, I fully understand what Kevin is talking about. DW is definitely "guarding" that shoulder and it screws up his throws. It takes time and a lot of daily rehab exercises to get full functioning back without pain. There is no fast track for that. Do a youtube on rotator cuff rehab and you will see exactly what I mean.

Yea I think that’s what happened Sunday, it looked obvious to me on his very first throw the motion was off. Which was a short easy drag route. Which is why I’m not in the “he’s a pussy who doesn’t wanna play” camp yet.

• Upvote 1