THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson's shoulder

Westside Steve

28 minutes ago, nickers said:

I don't need to wait 10 games... This dude is fucking trash...

Looks like I don't need to ask "are ya sure?"  When I used to bust my dad's balls with that question he'd point to his mouth and say "READ MY LIPS!"  One time he took me and my brother golfing.  Key words in that sentence are "one time."  Anyway, I was in the fairway and my dad and brother we're just off it to the right where they were getting ready to hit.  My dad was up in front of my brother so when I just went ahead and swung the club - guess who shanked his shot?  Me.  Guess who got blamed?  My older brother.  So, here's the dialogue after my dad walked over to my brother. "HEY ASSHOLE - WHAT COMES AFTER 3?"  My brother replied 4.   My dad said "YELL IT NEXT TIME YOU JUST MISSED ME."  Our fishing trips to the 1000 Islands went a lot better.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Your opinion means exactly zero to me Nickers. Hate on. After the season is over- if you're right, I'll congratulate you for your astute observation. And if you're wrong, you're never going to hear the end of it.  :D 

Won't bother me one way or the other... We ain't winning no SB this year.. So it's moot...

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I love reading this thread, knowing the Browns are actually two games above .500;

Its almost like, and I could be crazy, there are people on here who actually enjoy being miserable. 

I'm probably wrong, though. 

God bless ya!  I was trying to eat soup when I read this.  Key word in that sentence is "trying" and I LOST.  If I ever make it to Ohio again - I owe you a freakin banquet.  That or some of that hot pizza you posted about.  

How in God's blazes is this team 4-2?   The good news is the Browns have been working very diligently on understanding what targets downfield are teammates and what ones are not. They've also been trying to inform PJ that throwing across his body might get him replaced with Carson Wentz-wrong as early as next Monday.  The Salvation Army in Eastern Ohio has agreed to paying a very generous signing bonus if necessary.

Stay tuned?  Why not, we're 4-2 by accident...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jax said:

It's a frustrating situation to be in. Especially at a time our defense kicks ass.

That about sums it up.  Frustrating.  We just can't seem to have both sides of the ball be good at the same time.

...the organization tries so hard to put a good QB behind the Center.  But they just can't seem to do it.

13 hours ago, Orion said:

That about sums it up.  Frustrating.  We just can't seem to have both sides of the ball be good at the same time.

...the organization tries so hard to put a good QB behind the Center.  But they just can't seem to do it.

Bad luck of the draw. 

The Browns tank two seasons in a row and end up with Baker. The Bengals then do it once and end up with Joe Burrow. 

Hence, why we are in the QB position we are in now. 

And I've been saying for a while, Watson is as good as done this season. Sure, he might come back and play some, but if he has rotator cuff problems, his arm strength and accuracy is going to be poor. At the least the Browns should put him on the short term IR and go and get Brissett or Flacco or Wentz. PJ Walker and DTR at this point is a recipe for a complete collapse down the stretch. (Not that Brissett/Flacco/Wentz are guaranteed to send the Browns to the playoffs, but at least there is a chance of somewhat competent QB play)

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Watson is as good as done this season. Sure, he might come back and play some, but if he has rotator cuff problems, his arm strength and accuracy is going to be poor. At the least the Browns should put him on the short term IR and go and get Brissett or Flacco or Wentz. 

Man, you really think so? I go back and forth. I can't let myself believe that he's done for the year. Medical professionals HAVE to get the swelling down and his power up, right? No structural damage, no surgery required, and to me this means he's eventually going to be fine. Does he need IR? I think he probably DID, but we're past that now. 

I'm not a doctor, I know nothing about rotator cuff injuries other than they suck. Apparently they take forever to heal, but they DO heal. If Watson is throwing with force and isn't hurting, he'll play. I think there's hope for that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jiggins7919 said:

Man, you really think so? I go back and forth. I can't let myself believe that he's done for the year. Medical professionals HAVE to get the swelling down and his power up, right? No structural damage, no surgery required, and to me this means he's eventually going to be fine. Does he need IR? I think he probably DID, but we're past that now. 

I'm not a doctor, I know nothing about rotator cuff injuries other than they suck. Apparently they take forever to heal, but they DO heal. If Watson is throwing with force and isn't hurting, he'll play. I think there's hope for that. 

Yes, I really think so. 

That's why I wrote it. 😏

On our local sports radio station, Garrett Bush mentioned that he talked to Bernie Kosar recently about Watson's injury, and Kosar said that when he suffered a rotator cuff injury that his arm strength was sapped and his accuracy went to poop. He didn't seem positive that Watson was going to be able to play much, or well if he does, this season. 

When it came out that he hurt his rotator cuff after the Titans game, I said "Oh poopypants!" jiggins. That's right:

OH POOPYPANTS!

That meant that I was concerned. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yes, I really think so. 

That's why I wrote it. 😏

On our local sports radio station, Garrett Bush mentioned that he talked to Bernie Kosar recently about Watson's injury, and Kosar said that when he suffered a rotator cuff injury that his arm strength was sapped and his accuracy went to poop. He didn't seem positive that Watson was going to be able to play much, or well if he does, this season. 

When it came out that he hurt his rotator cuff after the Titans game, I said "Oh poopypants!" jiggins. That's right:

OH POOPYPANTS!

That meant that I was concerned. 

I assume the med staff is confident Watson will be able to return to normal this season, otherwise it’d be a crime to leave this season in PJ walkers hands.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Prepare for being done for good... He's lost it dude... He's done...

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Bad luck of the draw. 

The Browns tank two seasons in a row and end up with Baker. The Bengals then do it once and end up with Joe Burrow. 

Hence, why we are in the QB position we are in now. 

And I've been saying for a while, Watson is as good as done this season. Sure, he might come back and play some, but if he has rotator cuff problems, his arm strength and accuracy is going to be poor. At the least the Browns should put him on the short term IR and go and get Brissett or Flacco or Wentz. PJ Walker and DTR at this point is a recipe for a complete collapse down the stretch. (Not that Brissett/Flacco/Wentz are guaranteed to send the Browns to the playoffs, but at least there is a chance of somewhat competent QB play)

Yeah, sucks that the Bengals lucked out getting Burrow.  I'm not so certain Watson is done for the season though. He's getting two whole weeks of rest, so we'll see.  If he's still not ready to go against the Cardinals 11\5 (I'll be at the game BTW) you may well be right. They said a six week injury, and Arizona is week six. 

Said it earlier, stating PJ against the Seahawks is all but throwing in the towel for a loss...  However, looking at the rest of the schedule- call me an optimist- I see at least seven games the Browns could potentially win (not with PJ at the controls though)  = 11-6.  That should be good enough to make the playoffs.  

48 minutes ago, bbedward said:

I assume the med staff is confident Watson will be able to return to normal this season, otherwise it’d be a crime to leave this season in PJ walkers hands.

Crime indeed bw.  Somehow on my tablet I can sneak behind the Cleveland.com paywall to see what one of my High School alums (Cleveland Benedictine) Terry Pluto is up to.  Quote from Terry "I'm getting carpet bombed with emails from fans asking why the Browns aren't going hard after Jacoby Brissett". I have to wonder about that too- before the trade deadline coming up soon. According to an article I saw, the Browns would only have to pay him peanuts- $3 million left on his one year contract. The only question is what the Commanders asking price is going to be.  

Desperate times require desperate measures. In 2024 the Browns have Their second and third round picks, two fifths, two sixths, and two sevenths. I'd happily offer Washington both our fifths, and if I have to- our third. Stay tuned. A LOT is going to depend on the Browns medical staff's informed opinion exactly how badly Watson's shoulder is damaged. If they're 100% confident that this is going to resolve sooner than later, Berry is unlikely to hit the panic button making a trade. Though he should anyway- another Deshaun injury down the road, we're probably not making the playoffs relying on PJ or DTR running the offense.  🙄

4 hours ago, bbedward said:

What is the medical staff's status on him?   Last I knew they claimed that he was cleared to play.

13 hours ago, Orion said:

What is the medical staff's status on him?   Last I knew they claimed that he was cleared to play.

Jimmy's business clearly isn't using doctors that graduated anywhere near the top of their class.  Keep in mind, there are people out there practicing medicine that drafted at the bottom of their class.  Now, take a guess employs 1 of them? Anyway, throwing a football with that kind of injury against NFL closing speeds - seems only advisable in a Jimmy Haslam business. Like Dutch brought up - Kosar has this injury and it evaporated his arm strength and accuracy.  Medical staff that doesn't understand this when they clear a QB to start - aren't REALLY protecting the guaranteed 230 million $ investment.

Now, what can be done if you DO risk further injury by playing him?  According to the Cleveland Browns - What's everyone worried about? We're gonna protect him with Jed Wills as our blind side LT.  Yeah gee, what could possibly go wrong?  Every time Watson gets hit and planted by someone he doesn't see coming from his left - he lands REALLY hard on his right shoulder.  Make sense?  Should Left Tackle remain the weakest spot on the Browns' offensive line every Sunday if they WANT/NEED to protect their 230 million $ investment?

Well, now that the Browns spent all that money on 1 guy they've had 2 off-seasons to come up with a protection plan for - Jed Wills remains the starting Left Tackle for the Cleveland Browns for his 4th consecutive season.  This is the only franchise that thinks eye ball tests and film are overrated.  

16 hours ago, Orion said:

From Team Medical Staff ... 😇 

Watson traveled, listed as OUT throwing shoulder.  

This is still our year Browns fans !

The Great 👻 of Gipper will arise from the Pumpkin patch, swinging his gavel over Browns fans heads quoting.

"This Browns team is still 4-2, 6th in the playoff hunt, but yet we still post Bitches, moans & groans daily" 🎃

This Team refuses to listen to the haters noise !

Hopkins for a game winner 23- 20.... in Sea-nag-land week 8

LET'S GO BROWNS ! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

From Team Medical Staff ... 😇 

Watson traveled, listed as OUT throwing shoulder.  

This is still our year Browns fans !

The Great 👻 of Gipper will arise from the Pumpkin patch, swinging his gavel over Browns fans heads quoting.

"This Browns team is still 4-2, 6th in the playoff hunt, but yet we still post Bitches, moans & groans daily" 🎃

This Team refuses to listen to the haters noise !

Hopkins for a game winner 23- 20.... in Sea-nag-land week 8

LET'S GO BROWNS ! 

But was it wise to have Watson travel with the team? Unless he's pretty much done with his rehab, and they've just giving  him exercises he can do on the plane and in the hotel.  

Regarding the sourpusses around here... They way they're bitching, you'd think this team is 0-6 heading for 0-17.  🙄

11 minutes ago, hoorta said:

But was it wise to have Watson travel with the team? Unless he's pretty much done with his rehab, and they've just giving  him exercises he can do on the plane and in the hotel.  

Regarding the sourpusses around here... They way they're bitching, you'd think this team is 0-6 heading for 0-17.  🙄

Send the sourpusses to a Tampa Bay Bucs message board. 🤣

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

It'd be wise if we played Zona at Zona next week, and the team stayed out there ..

but, This should keep the media/fans from _______ shoulder thero'pee jokes ;).. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

If the team doesn’t make the playoffs, it really doesn’t matter what the W/L record will be.

14 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

If the team doesn’t make the playoffs, it really doesn’t matter what the W/L record will be.

Bingo! We have already wasted almost 3 seasons catering to DW... Time to pony up!

22 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

●--->   Send the sourpusses to a Tampa Bay Bucs message board. 🤣

That might be a good idea !     Meanwhile.  GO BROWNS !      They have a game to play this Sunday at 1:00 pm.

Or would they prefer the. 1996- 1998 plan with -0-  games on board  for three consecutive years ?

●--->    I'll take play ball this Sunday.    :)

1 hour ago, bbedward said:

Maybe CLE gets Brisket before 4pm, to start the ultimate fan-fiction timeline. Jacoby comes in, fans roar, he goes 3-0 against AZ, BAL, PIT, Watson goes on season-ending IR due to emotional trauma, super bowl.

I'll secure the directorial rights now haha.

Normally QB trades like this don't make much logical sense. But in this case, Brissett makes a whole lot of sense unless the team feels 110% confident that Watson will be ready without limitations for Baltimore. Having Jacoby for the Balt- Pit games would make a foundational difference and would be worth it for those games alone.

55 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

I'll secure the directorial rights now haha.

Normally QB trades like this don't make much logical sense. But in this case, Brissett makes a whole lot of sense unless the team feels 110% confident that Watson will be ready without limitations for Baltimore. Having Jacoby for the Balt- Pit games would make a foundational difference and would be worth it for those games alone.

I usually spend late Friday night at the Pine Club, not only for a carryout dinner, but to converse with the Assistant Manager there, & talk football.  For reasons unknown, he happens to be a huge Commanders fan.

FWIW, here's his take on the Jacoby situation. Depends on how confident they are with Sam Howell. Nobody behind him besides Jacoby, or Jake Fromm currently on the practice squad. 

My take on the situation? Berry is a dumb ass if he doesn't do something to rectify the backup quarterback situation while he has the chance. BTW, jrb- it's NOT just for the next two games, it's for the rest of the season. What if down the road Watson has a season ending injury? You can flush any playoff hopes down the toilet if you're relying on PJ being the vehicle to get you there. 

So, get it done Andy- your job just might depend on it. You went all in on Watson, you need a viable Plan B at quarterback if he's not available. For sure PJ isn't it. Unless Washington is asking something outrageous for Bissett  "just do it". I already said Jacoby only has $3 million left on this year's contract. You have extra 5th and 6th round picks, I'd even consider swapping places with the Commanders in the 3rd. Or offer them DTR in a quarterback swap. 

PS since Washington just traded Montez Sweat, just maybe they're interested in wheeling and dealing. Or at least I hope so.  

17 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I usually spend late Friday night at the Pine Club, not only for a carryout dinner, but to converse with the Assistant Manager there, & talk football.  For reasons unknown, he happens to be a huge Commanders fan.

FWIW, here's his take on the Jacoby situation. Depends on how confident they are with Sam Howell. Nobody behind him besides Jacoby, or Jake Fromm currently on the practice squad. 

My take on the situation? Berry is a dumb ass if he doesn't do something to rectify the backup quarterback situation while he has the chance. BTW, jrb- it's NOT just for the next two games, it's for the rest of the season. What if down the road Watson has a season ending injury? You can flush any playoff hopes down the toilet if you're relying on PJ being the vehicle to get you there. 

So, get it done Andy- your job just might depend on it. You went all in on Watson, you need a viable Plan B at quarterback if he's not available. For sure PJ isn't it. Unless Washington is asking something outrageous for Bissett  "just do it". I already said Jacoby only has $3 million left on this year's contract. You have extra 5th and 6th round picks, I'd even consider swapping places with the Commanders in the 3rd. Or offer them DTR in a quarterback swap. 

PS since Washington just traded Montez Sweat, just maybe they're interested in wheeling and dealing. Or at least I hope so.  

Looks like Riverboat Ron will be going OOB!

14 minutes ago, nickers said:

Looks like Riverboat Ron will be going OOB!

Well, one (faint) option just went off the board... The "grounded" dead last in the latest NFL power rankings- Cardinals just shipped Joshua Dobbs off to the Vikings as a replacement for out for the year Kirk Cousins.

It will be interesting what the Vikes had to give up to get him...  Might set the bar as to the asking price for Brisette.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Definitely heard on that- I have the same concern. But alas, barring a hail mary it looks like the ship is going to sink or float with Watson for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

Definitely heard on that- I have the same concern. But alas, barring a hail mary it looks like the ship is going to sink or float with Watson for the rest of the season.

Yep- trade deadline has come and gone, and we're going with PJ and DTR as the backups. Nothing like your fall back plan in case of a Watson injury is a quarterback with a sub 50 qbr. And I officially declare Berry to be a doofus for not getting the Browns something better.  🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2