THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson's shoulder

Westside Steve

On 10/17/2023 at 11:35 AM, SdBacker80 said:

I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  

I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  

PJs decision making was awful.  Is there a Dobbs or comparable out there? 

Dobbs has been starting for Arizona this year and doing pretty well. Do I dare say let's see what a full week of practice with DTR and the starting WRs can do?   Ok, so he started against Baltimore's defense with very little time throwing to the starters the week of the game.  I just saw Baltimore do the same thing to Jared Goff and the Lions.  I think DTR has better upside than the upside-down we're getting from PJ.  I know he's trying but the throwing across his body into the blind spot shows me this tiger ain't changing his stripes any time soon.  

My idea might not be any better but I think if DTR has the same full week of prep that PJ has - he'll be the better QB. We'll see what happens...

On 10/17/2023 at 11:35 AM, SdBacker80 said:

I’m going actually do a half back track on the comment I made two weeks ago.  I’m not confident PJ can win one of the next two games…I see Watson coming back after the Seahawk game.  

I think we have the personnel surrounding the QB position including a defense that can get the offense the ball back in decent field position where a guy like Dobbs or better can win a game.  Super Bowl aspirations don’t exist without Watson back and playing well.  But I think we have a critical juncture here and we need wins.  

PJs decision making was awful.  Is there a Dobbs or comparable out there? 

Beyond awful.... And he's usually way off target with his passes too....  A not so stellar 48 qbr. If we're already throwing in the towel against Seattle, I'd rather see DTR take his lumps than PJ... 

7 hours ago, bbedward said:

Yea I think that’s what happened Sunday, it looked obvious to me on his very first throw the motion was off. Which was a short easy drag route. Which is why I’m not in the “he’s a pussy who doesn’t wanna play” camp yet.

Ya think?  Even to my untrained eye, it was obvious from the 5 passes DW threw his mechanics were screwed up. Almost shot putting the ball... The coaches HAD to see in pregame warmups that Watson didn't have it, severe coaching malpractice. Will the Watson haters please stop calling him a pussy because in Stefanski's opinion, it's best to not let Watson play Sunday? He's apparently learned from the Mayfield fiasco to not let a qb go out there and try to play hurt, and lose games in the process- risking further injury.               

2 hours ago, MDDawg said:

Let's see what he can do with a full week of practice. Go Browns!

LOL!!! Even with a full week of practice, they're not miraculously turning PJ into a competent QB.... We've seen a lot of lousy quarterback play from those 30+ signal callers the Browns have had since 1999, and I'll have to put Walker in the bottom five- easy. I suggest having your zofran or emetrol handy Sunday to prevent uncontrolled barfing. 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Dobbs has been starting for Arizona this year and doing pretty well. Do I dare say let's see what a full week of practice with DTR and the starting WRs can do?   Ok, so he started against Baltimore's defense with very little time throwing to the starters the week of the game.  I just saw Baltimore do the same thing to Jared Goff and the Lions.  I think DTR has better upside than the upside-down we're getting from PJ.  I know he's trying but the throwing across his body into the blind spot shows me this tiger ain't changing his stripes any time soon.  

My idea might not be any better but I think if DTR has the same full week of prep that PJ has - he'll be the better QB. We'll see what happens...

I agree though Seattle would be tough for the rookie. PJ walker sees the field about as well as Stevie wonder. DTR has more room for growth. 

can’t believe this FO didn’t get a rental veteran after DTR Baltimore nightmare. Was the perfect time, going into the bye…very lucky the last 2 went our way. Watson has missed too many games for them not to pickup one of the FAs

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orion said:

We have the league's two lowest rated QB's.  And just above PJ is Brian Hoyer at a 50.8 rating.

(we always play crappy in Seattle) 

It sure feels like it.   It's a tough situation for either of our backup QBs awaiting their 1st TD pass in the regular season. 

And now starting at QB for the Cleveland Browns is NOAH FENCE.  Don't let the name fool you because he's gonna bring it and sling it.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Flugel said:

It sure feels like it.   It's a tough situation for either of our backup QBs awaiting their 1st TD pass in the regular season. 

And now starting at QB for the Cleveland Browns is NOAH FENCE.  Don't let the name fool you because he's gonna bring it and sling it.

so you are saying he is a imposter ? like this ?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

LOL!!! Even with a full week of practice, they're not miraculously turning PJ into a competent QB.... We've seen a lot of lousy quarterback play from those 30+ signal callers the Browns have had since 1999, and I'll have to put Walker in the bottom five- easy. I suggest having your zofran or emetrol handy Sunday to prevent uncontrolled barfing. 

He literally only needed two plays to win the game last week. Our O-line can dominate Seattle's Defensive front and our Defensive front will definitely dominate their O-line. A few more plays from him and we beat the Seahawk easy.

Weeks ago Andrew Berry said it was a short term injury. They didn't place him on injured reserve. I HAVE to maintain hope Watson will recover and will get to 100%, because without that hope, we don't have a season, regardless of the record. Our division is too good, the AFC is too strong, and we don't have Chubb. We HAVE to have Watson play well to make the playoffs. And I'm not known for optimism, but here I am now...being optimistic about him, and hoping and praying we get our QB. After Colts game, he'll get another 2 whole weeks. That's an eternity in NFL healing time. Let's see how he does against the Cards and Kyler Murray, who has killed us in the past. We need you, Watson. 

15 hours ago, MDDawg said:

He literally only needed two plays to win the game last week. Our O-line can dominate Seattle's Defensive front and our Defensive front will definitely dominate their O-line. A few more plays from him and we beat the Seahawk easy.

Nothing like a little optimism.  :) Unfortunately, I don't share it. Sure, if PJ doesn't turn the ball over, and the defense can  manufacture 4 turnovers resulting in 17 points "you mean, there's a chance?" It's not as bad as I thought, but the Seahawks are 8-3 against the Browns at home.    

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Weeks ago Andrew Berry said it was a short term injury. They didn't place him on injured reserve. I HAVE to maintain hope Watson will recover and will get to 100%, because without that hope, we don't have a season, regardless of the record. Our division is too good, the AFC is too strong, and we don't have Chubb. We HAVE to have Watson play well to make the playoffs. And I'm not known for optimism, but here I am now...being optimistic about him, and hoping and praying we get our QB. After Colts game, he'll get another 2 whole weeks. That's an eternity in NFL healing time. Let's see how he does against the Cards and Kyler Murray, who has killed us in the past. We need you, Watson. 

Jiggins without Watson we not only don't have this season, we don't have three seasons. There is NO viable Plan B should Watson not return to his 2020 season of 4,800 yards, and 112 qbr.   

This article showed up in my mailbag this morning, and as I've been telling Nickers- just cutting Watson if he sucks isn't financially feasible for the Browns.  :(  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/10/26/deshaun-watson-dilemma-browns-have-four-options

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Nothing like a little optimism.  :) Unfortunately, I don't share it. Sure, if PJ doesn't turn the ball over, and the defense can  manufacture 4 turnovers resulting in 17 points "you mean, there's a chance?" It's not as bad as I thought, but the Seahawks are 8-3 against the Browns at home.    

Jiggins without Watson we not only don't have this season, we don't have three seasons. There is NO viable Plan B should Watson not return to his 2020 season of 4,800 yards, and 112 qbr.   

This article showed up in my mailbag this morning, and as I've been telling Nickers- just cutting Watson if he sucks isn't financially feasible for the Browns.  :(  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/10/26/deshaun-watson-dilemma-browns-have-four-options

The Browns still have an out if Deshaun does anything illegal.. And theres one other nugget which escapes my mind atm... But it's not totally "Guaranteed"

This entire Deshaun Rub One Out Watson situation sucks complete balls for us fans and lord knows we have all been through more than is deserved, but I'm not going to lie, I think it's funny as fuck for everyone in the Browns organization who green lighted this epic disaster of a trade.

Start at Jimmy and end with whatever Yes Man sat across the table and thought, "Yea, let's give one quarter of a billion USD to a QB who hasn't played in a year, is under investigation by the authorities for sexually lewd conduct and will be suspended by the NFL for an as of yet, undetermined amount of time ...... and let's guarantee all of it!"

Every single POS evolved in this historic fuck up should be fired and that includes Jimmy the Thief.

I'll be rooting for whichever QB is under center doing his best to fill in for the biggest mistake to ever happen to Cleveland.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, D Bone said:

This entire Deshaun Rub One Out Watson situation sucks complete balls for us fans and lord knows we have all been through more than is deserved, but I'm not going to lie, I think it's funny as fuck for everyone in the Browns organization who green lighted this epic disaster of a trade.

Start at Jimmy and end with whatever Yes Man sat across the table and thought, "Yea, let's give one quarter of a billion USD to a QB who hasn't played in a year, is under investigation by the authorities for sexually lewd conduct and will be suspended by the NFL for an as of yet, undetermined amount of time ...... and let's guarantee all of it!"

Every single POS evolved in this historic fuck up should be fired and that includes Jimmy the Thief.

I'll be rooting for whichever QB is under center doing his best to fill in for the biggest mistake to ever happen to Cleveland.  

It's hilarious when you consider Peyton Manning injured his neck... Had surgery to repair it... Sat out significant time.. Yet a little older,slower PM took his Colts to a SB and won... This dude can't even keep his jock on straight.... I feel like I got ripped off with a lemon... And a habitual liar!

1 hour ago, nickers said:

It's hilarious when you consider Peyton Manning injured his neck... Had surgery to repair it... Sat out significant time.. Yet a little older,slower PM took his Colts to a SB and won... This dude can't even keep his jock on straight.... I feel like I got ripped off with a lemon... And a habitual liar!

This is why it makes ZERO sense to want this owner to hurry-up and fire anybody only to rinse and repeat hiring the next guy you're gonna despise Nicks. For example, hurry up and fire Stefanski (who's WINNING in spite of JIMMY's newest QB situation) - are we sure Stefanski is THE variable standing between the Browns and Super Bowl Sunday?  How many months has your picket sign only had eyes for Stefanski? 

I'm not saying Stefanski is the answer either; I'm just getting the impression Jimmy's bad influence is Paul Depodesta.  Unfortunately, I've lost every ounce of confidence that Jimmy knows/understands how to hire the right guy for that FO position he leans heavily on. Research why former OC Kyle Shanahan left this owner's business.  It says all it needs to. If you or anyone else thinks Stefanski is this only problem with this organization - don't come crying to me when they hire the next scapegoat you're gonna hate.

The more things change - the more they stay exactly the same.  At least the Browns are 4-2 at this point in spite of Jimmy and the new QB here that has 0 TD passes in the last 2 wins.  When Jim Schwartz said the only reason he is here today was because of Stefanski - I dare say I believe him.  It's in his very first presser we all watched and listened to.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Flugel said:

This is why it makes ZERO sense to want this owner to hurry-up and fire anybody only to rinse and repeat hiring the next guy you're gonna despise Nicks. For example, hurry up and fire Stefanski (who's WINNING in spite of JIMMY's newest QB situation) - are we sure Stefanski is THE variable standing between the Browns and Super Bowl Sunday?  How many months has your picket sign only had eyes for Stefanski? 

I'm not saying Stefanski is the answer either; I'm just getting the impression Jimmy's bad influence is Paul Depodesta.  Unfortunately, I've lost every ounce of confidence that Jimmy knows/understands how to hire the right guy for that FO position he leans heavily on. Research why former OC Kyle Shanahan left this owner's business.  It says all it needs to. If you or anyone else thinks Stefanski is this only problem with this organization - don't come crying to me when they hire the next scapegoat you're gonna hate.

The more things change - the more they stay exactly the same.  At least the Browns are 4-2 at this point in spite of Jimmy and the new QB here that has 0 TD passes in the last 2 wins.  When Jim Schwartz said the only reason he is here today was because of Stefanski - I dare say I believe him.  It's in his very first presser we all watched and listened to.

You do realize that sanity is not allowed here, right?😱

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, D Bone said:

One thing is for sure- every other owner in the NFL is taking a huge ass sigh of relief. 

To me, the worst part of this whole thing is Watson spurned Cleveland in the first place until they offered this insane contract. The Browns literally sugar daddied Watson into being here, it's just all so stupid.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It's a frustrating situation to be in. Especially at a time our defense kicks ass.

If they keep playing at that caliber, we don't need an elite QB. Just someone who can keep the chains moving most of the time without mistakes. Colts pretty much only had to stop our run and we still went down the field to score. Even without penalties we were still moving.

I had a shoulder injury that prevented me from doing pull ups or military presses, other than that I was fine. I imagine Watsons shoulder is absolutely limiting his throws even with whatever they inject him with. As I always say with my lifting or running injuries, it's best to just get the rest and heal in a short period than push it and create a chronic injury. If he was able to come in and try playing I'd say he's not far off from coming back. I'd rather him miss a couple more games than be out the rest of the season. 

Who knows what's really going on though? In the meantime we need to find a QB we can lean on the rest of the season.

14 hours ago, D Bone said:

Now I'll agree with you to a point, that Haslam is a problem. Que up the Johnny Football fiasco. At the time, trading for Watson looked like following the Rams Yellow Brick Road path to a quick Super Bowl win. Yep, it was a PR nightmare at the time...  Seems to have settled down a bit. 

But you want a very close apples to apples Comparison D Bone?  Let's compare what the Broncos gave up to get Russell Wilson. Three players, two first round picks, two second round picks, and a fifth. (Elway was drinking a fifth when he made that trade.)  :D Contract? Actually bigger than Watsons. Yeah, I looked it up- $242 million as opposed to Watson's $230 million.  Only difference is the guaranteed money Wilson's "measly" $161 million as opposed to Watson's $230 million totally guaranteed. Which from a dead money standpoint, makes Wilson slightly easier to unload. 

So the Browns gave the Texans three first round picks, and few others, but no players. 

Yes, Wilson won a Super Bowl, and is a proven commodity. However, you can take a look at Watson's stats before he sat out a year or two. 😉

OK, true- Peyton Manning sat out a year with an injury and didn't miss a beat when he came back. Watson? Not so much. No explanation there. However... Since the boo birds are ready to run Deshaun out of town on a rail, I'm of the opinion starting with the Cardinals game, there's 10 games left in the season to form an opinion if the Browns got taken for a ride. 

33 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Now I'll agree with you to a point, that Haslam is a problem. Que up the Johnny Football fiasco. At the time, trading for Watson looked like following the Rams Yellow Brick Road path to a quick Super Bowl win. Yep, it was a PR nightmare at the time...  Seems to have settled down a bit. 

But you want a very close apples to apples Comparison D Bone?  Let's compare what the Broncos gave up to get Russell Wilson. Three players, two first round picks, two second round picks, and a fifth. (Elway was drinking a fifth when he made that trade.)  :D Contract? Actually bigger than Watsons. Yeah, I looked it up- $242 million as opposed to Watson's $230 million.  Only difference is the guaranteed money Wilson's "measly" $161 million as opposed to Watson's $230 million totally guaranteed. Which from a dead money standpoint, makes Wilson slightly easier to unload. 

So the Browns gave the Texans three first round picks, and few others, but no players. 

Yes, Wilson won a Super Bowl, and is a proven commodity. However, you can take a look at Watson's stats before he sat out a year or two. 😉

OK, true- Peyton Manning sat out a year with an injury and didn't miss a beat when he came back. Watson? Not so much. No explanation there. However... Since the boo birds are ready to run Deshaun out of town on a rail, I'm of the opinion starting with the Cardinals game, there's 10 games left in the season to form an opinion if the Browns got taken for a ride. 

I don't need to wait 10 games... This dude is fucking trash...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, nickers said:

I don't need to wait 10 games... This dude is fucking trash...

Your opinion means exactly zero to me Nickers. Hate on. After the season is over- if you're right, I'll congratulate you for your astute observation. And if you're wrong, you're never going to hear the end of it.  :D