THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson's shoulder

Westside Steve

54 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Anyway, I don't get the sense we have the brain trust to setup and run a competitive offense in the AFC North.  Hopefully I'm wrong once again...

I'm solidly back on the Stefanski and probably the front office will be gone when the season ends bandwagon that I predicted prior to the season starting. I also could see this team making a run if Watson gets healthy, looking at the schedule. 🤣 I don't fucking know anymore.

I guess all I can do is sit back and enjoy the glow of this potential dumpster fire. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm solidly back on the Stefanski and probably the front office will be gone when the season ends bandwagon that I predicted prior to the season starting. I also could see this team making a run if Watson gets healthy, looking at the schedule. 🤣 I don't fucking know anymore.

I guess all I can do is sit back and enjoy the glow of this potential dumpster fire. 

😆Tell me about it!   Last week, I was tempted to go watch the new Exorcist movie after the game to CHEER UP from this freakin team!  

Just now, Flugel said:

😆Tell me about it!   Last week, I was tempted to go watch the new Exorcist movie after the game to CHEER UP from this freakin team!  

I'm honestly glad I'm not going to the 49ers game like I was supposed to. This could be a complete trainwreck. 

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Stefanski…Jonah Hill…Wills gone…The next HC will have to prove to be a Watson Whisperer and bring him back to prominence.  

2025 could be a complete overhaul with a first year QB-  Panther esque year

2026 another new HC.  

15 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Stefanski…Jonah Hill…Wills gone…The next HC will have to prove to be a Watson Whisperer and bring him back to prominence.  

2026 another new HC.  

Jonah Hill 🤣  Thank you SdB!

We'll alter the characters some and make Stefanski Brad Pitt.    Phillip Seymour Hoffman made an ideal Art Howe.  I hung out with Hoffman's older brother Gordon when I was a kid - we lived in the same neighborhood.  We all loved baseball and shared 1 thing in common - none of us where any good at it.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

2026 another new HC.  

I'm throwing my support behind Bubba Ventrone as the next head coach, he could keep Schwartz as the DC and we'd have a head coach who could actually be the head coach and not a OC/head coach. I don't have any idea if he's ready to be a HC, I just really, really do not want another "Should so-and-so still be calling plays as head coach of the Browns?" situation. Go out and find someone capable to emulating what Clemson and the Texans did with Watson as their OC. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Jonah Hill 🤣  Thank you SdB!

We'll alter the characters some and make Stefanski Brad Pitt.    Phillip Seymour Hoffman made an ideal Art Howe.  I hung out with Hoffman's brother Gordon when I was a kid - we lived in the same neighborhood.  We all loved baseball and shared 1 thing in common - none of us where any good at it.  

So I'm assuming you knew or met Phillip Seymour Hoffman then?

Goddamn, he was a fantastic actor. 

27 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

We should all get together after the season and have a party in honor of your annual preseason Dutch's questions thread.  We'll definitely need the laughs.

• Haha 1

Just now, Flugel said:

We should all get together after the season and have a party in honor of your annual preseason Dutch's questions thread.  We'll definitely need the laughs.

Oh, that would be a blast.

There's definitely a few people on here I'd love to meet in person.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

So I'm assuming you knew or met Phillip Seymour Hoffman then?

Goddamn, he was a fantastic actor. 

Yeah, I was 2 years older than him.  His brother Gordon was exactly like him.  He really looked up to him.  Last I knew Gordon was a Professor at USC and he was actually in 1 or 2 movies with Philip.  Gordon wrote one of them.  It was probably the only movie I didn't like that Philip was in.

5 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, I was 2 years older than him.  His brother Gordon was exactly like him.  He really looked up to him.  Last I knew Gordon was a Professor at USC and he was actually in 1 or 2 movies with Phillip.  Gordon wrote one them.  It was probably the only movie I didn't like that Phillip was in.

Out of curiosity I looked up movies he wrote that his brother was in, and I have seen one of them, Love Liza.

Its an interesting movie. Not the greatest, but interesting. 

32 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, I was 2 years older than him.  His brother Gordon was exactly like him.  He really looked up to him.  Last I knew Gordon was a Professor at USC and he was actually in 1 or 2 movies with Philip.  Gordon wrote one of them.  It was probably the only movie I didn't like that Philip was in.

Everyone needs a friend like Sandy Lyle in Along Came Polly. 

That’s my Favorite role that he played 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm throwing my support behind Bubba Ventrone as the next head coach, he could keep Schwartz as the DC and we'd have a head coach who could actually be the head coach and not a OC/head coach. I don't have any idea if he's ready to be a HC, I just really, really do not want another "Should so-and-so still be calling plays as head coach of the Browns?" situation. Go out and find someone capable to emulating what Clemson and the Texans did with Watson as their OC. 

I think the only collateral damage with all the eventual change could be Jim Schwartz.   But admittedly after the past two years I’m pretty easy to please on that side of the ball.  I believe the defense loves to play for the guy though. 

And I know Bubba is respected and he wouldn’t meddle with the offense - we could do worse or be left with worse 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Out of curiosity I looked up movies he wrote that his brother was in, and I have seen one of them, Love Liza.

Its an interesting movie. Not the greatest, but interesting. 

Yeah, Gordon is more of a writer and a director than an actor.  Having said that, in high school he went all in on Drama Club and I was more into football and sports so we didn't hang around as much as we did in grade school.  I had him in some classes though so we still had fun.  I also watched him do a great job as McMurphy in the play "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"  at Fairport High School.  Their mom (Marilyn O'Connor) was a judge in Rochester, NY while their dad used to umpire baseball games.  None of his friends called him Gordy - that was more his family because he and his father had the same name.  Their parents got divorced around the same time mine did. 

Some of my favorite movies Philip was in off the top of my head were Along Came Polly, Patch Adams, Doubt, Twister, Mission Impossible, Scent of a Woman, Moneyball, The Talented Mr Ripley, Almost Famous, The Big Lebowski, Magnolia, Charlie Wilson's War. I didn't like Capote but his acting was incredible. I never saw Cold Mountain believe it or not.

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Some of my favorite movies Philip was in off the top of my head were Along Came Polly, Patch Adams, Doubt, Twister, Mission Impossible, Scent of a Woman, The Talented Mr Ripley, Almost Famous, The Big Lebowski, Magnolia, Charlie Wilson's War. I didn't like Capote but his acting was incredible. I never saw Cold Mountain believe it or not.

My cousin's wife is in Almost Famous as an extra, she's still a member of SAG. 

He's also really good in Boogie Nights. 

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm honestly glad I'm not going to the 49ers game like I was supposed to. This could be a complete trainwreck. 

You dodged watching a disaster first hand. I gave my tickets to A&M vs Bama to relatives because our gifted first string QB is out for the season. In comparison our 2nd stringer can't read defenses and is slow to process. We were lucky to hang in for a 6 point loss with a talented defense keeping it close. Sound familiar?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

My cousin's wife is in Almost Famous as an extra, she's still a member of SAG. 

He's also really good in Boogie Nights. 

That's pretty cool about your cousin's wife.  

Hoffman was in so many movies I feel like I forget more of them than the ones I remember.  I had to go back into my post yesterday and add in Moneyball.  After mentioning him as Art Howe it only made sense I left out Moneyball.  

FWIW, we had a really fun neighborhood back in the day.  Another family that eventually moved to Philly, used to bring in "Fresh Air Kids" from indigent Urban areas.  To this day, I don't know how true this is but back in my 20's a guy from the old neighborhood said "Do you remember that kid Eddie that visited the Daughertys one summer?"  I was like, yeah who doesn't?  His favorite saying when he got on base in pick-up games was "you white boys like to watch black people steal."  You know where this is going and again it's never been confirmed.  I think I resisted trying because the coincidence of it all was pretty freakin cool.  It was allegedly Eddie Murphy.  He was about the same age as my older brother at the time; and nobody had any idea what he'd make of himself way back when he wasn't even almost famous.  The only stuff we thought about back then was when and where we were playing ball next. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Everyone needs a friend like Sandy Lyle in Along Came Polly. 

That’s my Favorite role that he played 

Sandy Lyle was a great character. On the contrary, so was Gust Avrakotos, in Charlie Wilson's War.

And that one man had the talent to play characters of such dichotomies is talent.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think the only collateral damage with all the eventual change could be Jim Schwartz.   But admittedly after the past two years I’m pretty easy to please on that side of the ball.  I believe the defense loves to play for the guy though. 

And I know Bubba is respected and he wouldn’t meddle with the offense - we could do worse or be left with worse 

I’m still trying to figure out Stefanski, is he a HC that wants to be an OC?

Or is he an OC that pretends to be an HC?

Does anyone look at Alex VanPelt during the game and think he looks like a janitor waiting at the time clock for his shift to come to an end?

2 hours ago, AP1 said:

Sandy Lyle was a great character. On the contrary, so was Gust Avrakotos, in Charlie Wilson's War.

And that one man had the talent to play characters of such dichotomies is talent.

One of my favorite movies is Patch Adams with Robin Williams and Hoffman.  As good as Williams is throughout that movie - Hoffman's character in the last 15 minutes of the movie or so takes the movie to a whole different level.  

5 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’m still trying to figure out Stefanski, is he a HC that wants to be an OC?

Or is he an OC that pretends to be an HC?

Does anyone look at Alex VanPelt during the game and think he looks like a janitor waiting at the time clock for his shift to come to an end?

I think he leaves a lot to be desired in both realms which makes doing both next to impossible.  

if I’m Van Pelt and I had a little fire in my gut I would have left a few years ago. But It is hard to assess someone’s desire beyond making a living and being comfortable with where you are in life.  Exactly why I say maybe Schwartz even with this success may not want to escape for a HC gig.