THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

I was absolutely right when I said the locker room is compromised.

They have to be, assuming there are still players who are backing hoyer. Is that even possible? The locker room probably sounds a lot like this board.

Manzier's back. Must've been a rough couple of days.

Thanks for noticing. It was very rough.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The locker room is compromised because the handling of this QB situation.

I think the defense is pissed off, Gordon is pissed off, the offensive line is pissed off and people are upset at the fact that if someone plays shitty they get benched. Justin Gilbert was benched, Ben Tate was benched, and somehow Brian Hoyer who has been hot dogshit gets to start. I think the locker room has wanted Manziel for sometime and Pettine and a few veterans wanted Hoyer If Brian Hoyer is the starter Sunday, the locker room has lost its trust in the coach. You can't start Hoyer if you expect players to resign in the off-season.

Can you really see guys wanting to resign here once the losing pattern starts and we have a coach who's this stubborn?

Now Im going to have to figure out how to unphotoshop this damn clipboard from my money making fingers

LOL-we could all use a little levity after yesterday's game.

I think I have never taken a pro game loss so hard before after watching such a brilliant defensive effort wasted. Does this mean I am becoming a Browns Fan? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think he is a decent person, but it's pretty obvious he has been looking over his shoulder for weeks. This guy is the type of race car driver that knows he isn't the fastest, so instead of safely giving way to prevent a massive pile-up and cluster-F of epic proportions, he's attempt to move around to block the guy behind him. That's the way Hoyer wants to win.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12000196/brian-hoyer-cleveland-browns-says-preparing-start-cincinnati-bengals

"If 10 guys do their job and one doesn't, it can really affect a play," said Hoyer about the Browns' recent struggles overall.

Must Hoyer, a free agent after the season, orchestrate an improbable late-season push into the playoffs to keep the Browns' job long term? ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Sunday reportedHoyer's days in Cleveland are likely numbered.

To that question, Hoyer highlighted the irony.

"It's crazy how fast things changed," Hoyer said. "I feel like four or five weeks ago we're talking about contract talks. Now we're talking about if I'm even going to be staying here."

LOL-we could all use a little levity after yesterday's game.

I think I have never taken a pro game loss so hard before after watching such a brilliant defensive effort wasted. Does this mean I am becoming a Browns Fan? Inquiring minds want to know.

Your getting there. Its a slow process. This is a big week. Im excited to see Johnny play. Pettines pressy is in 15 minutes or so. Fingers crossed.

The guys on that ESPN Cleveland show said they heard a rumor that the Browns might cut Hoyer before the season is over.

My problem with the handling is this: did they really think Hoyer was the long term solution or were on the fence and needed to see him beat the Colts to seal a deal for the next 2-3 yrs as a QB for the Browns? Again, his play is not surprising. Instead, they've got Manziel on the sidelines who has taken just a handful of snaps in a real game that mattered. If they don't start Johnny for the rest of the season they will still have an unknown quantity waiting on the bench.

If Pettine is out in the cold and Harbaugh is not acquired in a Trade (unlikely), the Browns might as well hire Ghoolie as their Head Coach.

Who, in their right mind, would want to get mixed up with such a mixed up organization that hires HCs du Jour?

Time will tell but, arguably, the FO screwed up last year's draft.

Did the GM screw up the HC hire? Too early to tell, but it is way, way too early to condemn Pettine.

I've never once called for Pettine's head. I'm just saying based on my gut feelings that jimmy would rather part with him than manziel.

well now they're saying that JF is ready, which means that Hoyer served his purpose. The writing was on the wall from day one that Manziel was the future and that he was also raw. Hoyer lead this team to some good wins and gave manziel time to acclimate himself to the NFL. Its a shame that the change wasn't made yesterday as even slight competence from the QB position would've secured a win. The past is in the past and now we'll see if he is actually ready to lead an NFL team or just receiving lip service from his OC and QB coach. I'm praying for the former. Go Browns!

Hoyer plays not to lose. Manziel plays to win.

Most of the QBs we've had since the return were more like Hoyer -- managers, passive, focused on "not making mistakes."

That has been this team's problem for years. We need guys in key positions that WANT the ball in crunch time. Guys that play to win.

Manziel will never be QB ready.

I'm just curious as to what bred your particular brand of trolling?

Did Manziel bring it to the class' attention that you had wet yourself in your formative years? Did he rip you off while trading baseball cards on the playground?

It seems to be something personal as no one has seen what he's capable of as a starting NFL QB

Assumptions galore, so I'll add mine...

They drafted Manziel knowing what type of character he has.

If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have drafted him.

If they didn't like it, yet thought they could change him or he would eventually change (i.e. mature), they'd better be willing to pay the consequences if/when it doesn't pan out the way they hoped. But like WSS said, thanks for punishing all of us.

If they didn't like it, yet ultimately don't care what he does off-field, and simply hope he wins games (when they feel he's ready), then ok. Most logical choice to me is this one. They thought Hoyer gave them the best chance to win yesterday, not Manziel because to them he's shown he isn't ready.

That leaves one last question. Do they think his off-field behavior affects how fast his ramp-up time is to becoming ready, by their standards? IMO, the most talented people need less time to prepare than the average talented ones. Hoyer probably needs to put in extra hours of work to perform well, as opposed to Manziel that does not, if he's the talent they think he is.

One more issue then comes to mind. If Manziel is the world-beater QB and doesn't have to work at it 100% all the time, what happens when he has a bad game? He's human, it's going to happen. He might get blamed for not working hard enough. And he'd better be prepared for that if he's going to do the bare minimum.

The only answer I can come up with is the coaches should learn who their players are, as people as well as athletes. Then set rules and standards for them that they must meet. If they do more than what's expected of them, great. If they do the bare minimum, that's fine too as long as they perform well and do what is expected of them on the field. If they fall short, and it's found due to their work-life balance, tighten up those rules and standards.

First let me start by saying at this point we have no choice but to turn to Johnny and as a Browns fan I hope he kicks ass. I believe there is significant potential with him. The fanboy bs defending him and his behavior though is laughable. If you don't think that it has at some point rightfully delayed his starting you are delusional. If he had been more focused on football prior to camp opening he probably would have opened the season as the starter.

So you say we need to set a clear rule for adults making millions of dollars to NOT stay out until 3:30 AM the night before a game? We need to make rules to not roll bills up to snort up in the bathroom instead of learning the playbook? Fuck I am sick and tired of hearing that he is a kid and we are just up his ass. He had his 4 years of college to drink and party himself silly. He is no longer a kid when he is getting millions of dollars to play football. He is an adult with a clear expectation of some commitment and maturity. I do not question that if he were to stay out all night partying he could try to give 100% on the field. The simple fact is the body and mind would not do it , plain and simple you cant argue it. The proper amount of rest, sound nutrition and taking care of your body are key in executing at the professional level. Anyone that is an athlete and honest has to agree with that. Someone commented it was ok because he knew he wasn't going to play. Seriously?? He has always been an injury away from a start in every game, as such you prepare like the starter.

Someone referenced earlier that what he does on his own time is his business. The key there is defining his own time. During the season company time includes both the game and prep time. Prep time includes being rested both physically and mentally as much as possible. His play time is called the off season. Now you all can argue that all you fucking want but you are just dead wrong. I don't give a shit how fucked up you get and go to your job the next day it simply isn't the same. This isn't about being too old to understand, to much of a prude or an asshole, its about getting 100% return on investment for a draft pick like Johnny.

Again I am not arguing the fact we need to start him. We do plain and simple. I also agree we should have went to him in the 2nd half yesterday. Lets however expect as fans that he give us 100% and that does involve decision making outside of practice and the games. Also lets get real and acknowledge he isn't kept from playing from an isolated dumb ass attack but rather an ongoing collection of things.

Archived