THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

I just can't see us keeping Hoyer after benching him for JFF. Hoyer will be looking elsewhere. I think we should keep him, but doubt it will happen.

Then I'm afraid he's not being realistic. He was benched for poor performance. Any quarterback in any city should expect that would be a possibility.

WSS

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One, Browns have needs at DL and LB and backup OL trump every potential need at WR that could be extrapolated.

Two, JF has sucked and will suck. JF couldn't do anything with Cameron or Gordon WHEN THEY WERE THERE, yesterday.. and what did Hoyer do? Walk in, throw a TD, be competitive.. because he is serviceable. And hoyer had none of the reps this week in practice.

Anyone who seriously thinks JF has a clue about the NFL must be wearing 2 layers of metaphorically rose-colored glasses, because he's terrible. He won't get an offer to be a backup after Cleveland cuts him.

Why is Johnny sounding like he is already out for next week? Has anybody heard anything definitive? If so, I though he wanted out yesterday which would give his so-called competitiveness a big hit.

That's what happens in the final weeks of just about any season. I think injury reports are often just smoke screens. I can't imagine him not wanting to play. But you have the company line. Kind of annoying actually.

WSS

I agree - I hope he wants to play. But the quotes were his and it sure sounds like he isn't planning on playing.

I said it earlier - this season really has been chaos due to Manzielmania and I just don't think he is going to be an effective NFL starter. Didn't think it a year ago and I definitely do not think it now. It's idiotic people like Chuck Booms that thinks the path to relevancy in the NFL is drafting a media circus. Just win games, that's all it takes to be relevant. And we were doing a pretty decent job of it until Manzielmania overwhelmed the team. The fan base is already the best in the NFL. And this should have been a good season and it was wrecked over when the back-up was going to play. The back-up that the coaching staff knew wasn't ready or properly preparing himself like a professional to play.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/johnny-manziel-admits-he-could-have-worked-harder/250318

And to all you JFF fanboys out there that wonder why so many of us thought he wasn't working hard…well, there you go. HE IS WHO WE THINK HE IS. Right from the horses mouth.

"He even admitted he has not worked as hard as he could have worked this season."

Ticket sales were not going to be an issue... JM or no JM.

Maybe Haslam significantly meddled in the football details... maybe he did not.

What many here are believing Jimmy has done regarding JM, is antithetical to the way a successful businessman operates.

. I hope Jimmy is proud of himself for sacrificing the season for his own greedy ticket sales.. "asshole"

Ticket sales were not going to be an issue... JM or no JM.

we always sell out. Johnny or no Johnny. We didn't draft him for tickets.

Why does everyone thing JH is Jerry Jones? Cause they look and talk a bit alike? Because he keeps getting slammed for things only an insider would know and has never been reported on

Jimmy makes picks?, changes the lineup?, forces pettine to play JM?, etc. Its all made up bullshit and has zero credibility.

he has an above average arm, he had one of the highest IQs of the draft, he has excellent ability to scramble he is a competitor. And, even though they are often wrong, most football analysts saw him as a talent. Granted most predicted a boom or bust possibility but at least a possible high ceiling.

I don't think you could judge any rookie by the performance against the Cincinnati Bengals. They manhandled the Cleveland Browns at every stage of the game. It was the worst team performance I've seen in years.

As you should recall I didn't call for brian hoyers head. I said leave him in the rest of the season and if you are going to make a change start Johnny with a healthy team after a full training camp.

Then if he's a bust we will know it and you can rejoice.

WSS

Okay....well, I'm not rejoicing, no matter who plays qb. Obviously you're a Manziel fan, no matter what. I wanted him to start against the Bungles...in fact, I wanted Hoyer pulled at half time of the previous game. I was wrong....it's not that hard to admit it....try it. As far as Manziel's talents, or more accurately, his lack of talents...I don't see the arm strength, I don't see the competitor...especially after yesterday. I question if he was even hurt. You don't walk away not limping from a hamstring injury that is serious enough for you to leave the game. I've had a few hamstring problems, as a marathon runner, and they come with a lot of pain. Usually, walking is a major task. I was hoping Manziel would be the end of the qb search that we've been on for 15 years, now. If I saw a glimpse of encouragement to make me think it was possible, I would be all for it. I see nothing to make me believe that he could even be a back up in the NFL. Hoyer is not the answer, so this is not Hoyer vs. Manziel...and I'm not a Manziel hater....just a bad football hater.

DieHardBrownsFan similar to what Lobo asked me why would someone pay starting quarterback money to Brian Hoyer? What is it anyone has seen in him so far that suggest he might be elite someday?

(assuming that would be the goal of an NFL team)

WSS

I agree....while he has looked, at times like an NFL quarterback, there is nothing to warrant him getting a big contract. I think he would make a decent back up, and possibly a stop gap while a rookie matures. Other than that, I consider him average on his best days.

And yes Lobo I'm a Johnny fan*. He is the first round pick of the Cleveland Browns and until he does something over the course of at least a full season to prove he has no NFL potential or does something that pisses me off personally I give him the benefit of the doubt.

WSS

*that doesn't mean I have to hate the other guy.

And yes Lobo I'm a Johnny fan*. He is the first round pick of the Cleveland Browns and until he does something over the course of at least a full season to prove he has no NFL potential or does something that pisses me off personally I give him the benefit of the doubt.

WSS

*that doesn't mean I have to hate the other guy.

I guess I just don't have the patience that you display. Maybe because I'm getting older. I had more patience with Weeden and McCoy. I hope I'm wrong, but in my mind Manziel has already proven that he has no NFL potential. I don't hate him for it....I hate Farmer for drafting him.

Jimmy makes picks?, changes the lineup?, forces pettine to play JM?, etc. Its all made up bullshit and has zero credibility.

Does that mean the "homeless guy" wasn't real either? :(

I guess I just don't have the patience that you display. Maybe because I'm getting older. I had more patience with Weeden and McCoy. I hope I'm wrong, but in my mind Manziel has already proven that he has no NFL potential. I don't hate him for it....I hate Farmer for drafting him.

And unfortunately it's that very kind of impatience that has kept the Browns in the toilet for over a decade.

WSS

we always sell out. Johnny or no Johnny. We didn't draft him for tickets.

Why does everyone thing JH is Jerry Jones? Cause they look and talk a bit alike? Because he keeps getting slammed for things only an insider would know and has never been reported on

If you don't believe the owner of a team holds some serious sway over shots being called, then you are seriously mistaken.

Haslam's comments on Hardesty being apart of the Browns and not cut earlier should really be the smoking gun in your eyes.

And unfortunately it's that very kind of impatience that has kept the Browns in the toilet for over a decade.

WSS

No, shitty draft choices have been around 80% of the cause of the Browns misfortunes over the last 15 years.

You'd be surprised what smells you can cover up when you have a talented roster.

No, shitty draft choices have been around 80% of the cause of the Browns misfortunes over the last 15 years.

You'd be surprised what smells you can cover up when you have a talented roster.

I don't agree. The fact that we change the front office, the coaching staff the game plan etc every two fucking years throw out everybody and bring in an entire new fledgling entourage. If they aren't successful immediately throw the whole batch out again.

WSS

I don't agree. The fact that we change the front office, the coaching staff the game plan etc every two fucking years throw out everybody and bring in an entire new fledgling entourage. If they aren't successful immediately throw the whole batch out again.

WSS

Stability has to start somewhere. But with that in mind, you don't wanna lock down on a group just for the sake of locking down on a group.

Anyway, I think there's no reason to believe Farmer and Pettine won't be here for the long term. So no reason for people to keep worrying about it.

Also, Manziel just sucks. Has nothing to do with dysfunction or instability, he just sucks.

Stability is good, but you don't have to stick to guys who won't take you anywhere. See: Mike Holmgren, Mike Lombardi, Joe Banner, many, many QBs.

WSS

I agree, coaching stability is an issue. I feel we have it. I like Pettine's approach on just about everything. Farmer and himself will be here for the long haul. Our QB's on the other hand? - that's a different story compared to coaching staff stability.

i don't hate manziel but he is in no way just going to pop out of a cake in 3 years behind some vet QB and become aaron rodgers or at best kordell stewart (really?...eh). 2 slow white guys caught up to him running laterally out of bounds yesterday and got a good lick on him. so there is NEVER going to be a johnny scrambles in cleveland.

btw haslam insisted on drafting manziel. i'm sure if farmer and pettine were given the choice they'd have filled another position of need at 22.

haslam and the FO aren't stupid. he had a hand in the game (manziel) and someone just trumped it. means (if he's smart) would throw away that hand but not get up and walk away from the table. if manziel costs anyone his job it will be shanahan.

Not elite Steve but capable.

I would have gone with "competent."

Then I'm afraid he's not being realistic. He was benched for poor performance. Any quarterback in any city should expect that would be a possibility.

Including Johnny?

Why is Johnny sounding like he is already out for next week? Has anybody heard anything definitive? If so, I though he wanted out yesterday which would give his so-called competitiveness a big hit.

Could be JM was told he had a hammie...

As for his competitiveness taking a hit... no... it's what gets him hit.

While I still have no clue what the intent of the last play called for him was yesterday, I do know that his "competitiveness" made it worse.

A smart QB ditches the ball or slides, if linemen are likely downfield. The last thing they do is take on two defenders to get to the sideline... that is what a competitor does to "inspire" his team.

We compare him to Jerreh because he fucking ACTS like Jerreh, a clueless Billionaire playing fantasy football only with a real NFL team.

Jerrah is his own GM. Jimmah hired one of the brightest young personnel minds around.

Jerrah holds a press conference every week. Jimmah hasn't held one since the reorganization.

Yup... two peas in a pod...

If you don't believe the owner of a team holds some serious sway over shots being called, then you are seriously mistaken.

Haslam's comments on Hardesty being apart of the Browns and not cut earlier should really be the smoking gun in your eyes.

You don't think Haslam's comments on Hardesty just might say a helluva lot more about Banner/ Lombo than Jimmy's style?

An owner can hold whatever sway he wants. However, a smart businessman knows better than to interfere with the talent he hired to run a business he owns in a field in which he has no expertise.

Archived