THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson Suspended for 11 Games and Fined $5 Million / and a bit OT and back.

mjp28

At this point, time to pray to the patron saint of bad football personnel decisions that eventually it is found out that Houston was so shady in their Watson situation that the NFL declares the trade null and void, the Browns trade picks are reinstated and the Browns move on to the 2022 season basically in tankish mode. (Not full tank mode, the roster is too good for that, but the Browns aren't sniffing the playoffs with Brissett as the starter. Hell, they probably weren't making the playoffs with Baker). 

I have little to no faith that this will happen, though. 

When we first signed Watson, I was happy. I defended him. "Ok, he's  REALLY into massage girls, likes happy endings, and while inappropriate,  his behavior is not criminal. This attorney has a personal vendetta for him and is very good at coaching these women that they have been wronged" 

The Browns said they vetted the hell out of the situation and that Watson was a good person and they wanted to build around him.

Watson said he did nothing wrong, and since we were in He Said / She Said territory, and there were no criminal charges ... I was all in on the new QB of the Cleveland Browns.

The NY Times article flipped things for me. I saw him as a different person: He manipulated the Texans, he lied to the Browns, and he lied to us at his press conference. 

No one needs 66 different massage women in 17 months. No one needs a luxury hotel room where different massage girls are sent. No one needs a massage girl to sign a NDA unless creepy things are happening.

We traded our future away and paid $243 M guaranteed to a lying creep.

Oh ... my Browns.

The draft picks are gone.

But we can sue Watson for lying and then Jimmy can sell the team to a fucking hands off owner and let the football people run the team.

He just keeps fucking up.

But that's probably not happening. We will probably have Briskett go 9-8 this year and then we will have to start letting some talent go because of Watson's back ended guaranteed contract and never get to the Super Bowl while we root for a team led by this creep.

Oh ... my Browns 😔

Z

• Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, nickers said:

Please dump this dumb mother fucker already... This ship is sinking fast!

In for a penny, in for a pound.  We have to play this out.  We cannot just throw in our cards and quit.  We are too heavily invested.  And I'm not talking about the money, I'm talking about all of the draft picks.  We aren't just gonna flush those down the toilet.  We have to play this out to a logical conclusion, whatever that may wind up being, and not knee jerk anything.  

Look at it this way, It's just the 21st Century Browns being the 21st Century Browns.   

(we were such a respected team in the 20th Century.  Thanks Art.  Thanks so much.  You peckahead!)

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Orion said:

In for a penny, in for a pound.  We have to play this out.  We cannot just throw in our cards and quit.  We are too heavily invested.  And I'm not talking about the money, I'm talking about all of the draft picks.  We aren't just gonna flush those down the toilet.  We have to play this out to a logical conclusion, whatever that may wind up being, and not knee jerk anything.  

Look at it this way, It's just the 21st Century Browns being the 21st Century Browns.   

(we were such a respected team in the 20th Century.  Thanks Art.  Thanks so much.  You peckahead!)

I'm afraid that there's not a whole bunch more we can do but play this thing out......and read the latest headlines  on the sports,  legal and latest joke pages.   :):( 

GO BROWNS,  we still love ya'.

18 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I don't know what the issue is, I've ordered massages off Craiglist before.  Only woke up missing a kidney the one time.

Sounds like the J Giles song... "No anchovies, please".   We may have ended up with a $200 million dollar bowling ball.  

Looks like the Browns really didn't do "due diligence". Watson lied to them, and Berry is now chain smoking.  :(  Cleveland's only hope is Goodell and the NFL step in and void the (remaining parts of) the deal.   

Seriously, in the modern era of football,  this  level of sleaze-  assuming even 1\2 of the reports are correct- is unprecedented.  You'd have to go back decades and to a different sport (basketball) to find something similar.  I  won't name him because he's  dead, but the initials are WC. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Zombo said:

When we first signed Watson, I was happy. I defended him. "Ok, he's  REALLY into massage girls, likes happy endings, and while inappropriate,  his behavior is not criminal. This attorney has a personal vendetta for him and is very good at coaching these women that they have been wronged" 

The Browns said they vetted the hell out of the situation and that Watson was a good person and they wanted to build around him.

Watson said he did nothing wrong, and since we were in He Said / She Said territory, and there were no criminal charges ... I was all in on the new QB of the Cleveland Browns.

The NY Times article flipped things for me. I saw him as a different person: He manipulated the Texans, he lied to the Browns, and he lied to us at his press conference. 

No one needs 66 different massage women in 17 months. No one needs a luxury hotel room where different massage girls are sent. No one needs a massage girl to sign a NDA unless creepy things are happening.

Oh ... my Browns.

But we can sue Watson for lying and then Jimmy can sell the team to a fucking hands off owner and let the football people run the team.

But that's probably not happening. We will probably have Briskett go 9-8 this year and then we will have to start letting some talent go because of Watson's back ended guaranteed contract and never get to the Super Bowl while we root for a team led by this creep.

Oh ... my Browns 😔

Z

Well said! I remember thinking in the 80s (my Golden Era of following this team) that I would have plenty of time ahead to see my favorite team get to the Superbowl.  All of a sudden, I'm 58 years old wondering what happened to an 11-5 football team that won a playoff game as recently as January of 2021.   The same FO and owner that agreed to give Baker a 5th year suddenly came to the conclusion that last year's regular season was the tell-all about Baker's ability, Was it REALLY?  I mean a guy that threw 26 TD passes to only 8 INTs in his 3rd season throws 4 INTs on Christmas Day the next year.  Obviously Baker never lived up to the #1 overall pick expectations BUT the Browns did commit to a 5th year only to throw away THREE 1st round picks and more for a QB they didn't even come close to doing their due diligence studying.

Any of the 1st round QBs in 2023 or even Pickett in 2022 would have been way healthier to our cap.  Does anyone realize that Watson's last year in Houston he was #1 rated in so many different passing categories in the AFC/NFL?  But, the team around him was so bad none of it mattered and Houston went 4-12.  So now he's coming to the same kind of owner he's leaving.

I hope the NFL investigation starts to find enough information to contemplate punishment to the team Watson was actually employed by as the face of their team when all this was happening.  I think I heard the Texans went as far as booking a hotel room for at least 1 of Watson's massages.  Really?  Now that there was an owner willing to buy a swamp in alligator alley hoping it would save his franchise - I sincerely hope something is done about the Houston Texans capitalizing on all this when all of the wrong doing by Watson was under their watch.  If the NFL is going to investigate, Houston seems like a perfect place to find out what was going on with the Code of Conduct stuff while the NFL only seems focused on punishing the Browns.  Not that their stupidity in all this wasn't enough punishment.

Edited by Flugel
added Houston's record in DW's last year starting there
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Zombo said:

Oh ... my Browns.

Oh ... my Browns 😔

Z

And you know, I get that. I was pretty hard line on how I felt, but I never begrudged folks for thinking that way. I'm just glad a lot of people, including yourself, aren't letting the shine of potential wins blind the reality that this dude is a monster and God willing will never play a down for Cleveland.

As the shit cherry on top, it's also very obvious Cleveland wasn't this creep's first choice. This is all such a shame.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Orion said:

Bullshit... This guy is a stupid asshole whose added another black eye to the franchise... This POS needs to be sent packing ... FAST!

• Like 1

One has to imagine the Dolphins the Falcons the Saints and a few other teams wiping sweat from their brow thinking there but for the grace of God.

Zombo hit most of the bullet points. I think we've all considered Jimmy an idiot from the get but Stefanski and Berry should be ashamed unless they are just as bad as Jimmy and Dee.

I would imagine at some point, barring a criminal conviction, Watson starts for the Browns for multiple seasons. And our Cleveland Browns will be looked on with deserved derision for years to come.

And just to sweeten the pot does anyone here believe that a pervert and a liar who trolls for prostitutes on an almost weekly basis is going to have a come-to-jesus moment? Because if he keeps up this kind of behavior, which there's no reason to believe that he won't, the muckraking news media will be the ones having a happy ending.

WSS

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2022 at 10:16 PM, Canton Dawg said:

24 lawsuits, 66 women.

Looks like he completed 64% of his passes.

Oh, you should copyright that one!

sad situation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, three days ago, we were at the supermarket, a couple was talking behind us. I wasn't paying attention to what they were saying, til the woman said "all these seasons....", and he says "I couldn't sell my hats for a nickle at our garage sale...".

I turned and said "Browns?"

they both nodded.

She said "it's a disgrace. Never thought we would give up, but this is just...."...and he said "yep. just a disgrace."

I nodded and said "yep, a lot of folks like us are disgusted....", paid for my stuff and said to them " Take care."

It's bad, it's ....... the browns disgrace. They were taken for complete fools, and they jumped at the chance to be fools. Next year would have been a great time to draft a qb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

So, three days ago, we were at the supermarket, a couple was talking behind us. I wasn't paying attention to what they were saying, til the woman said "all these seasons....", and he says "I couldn't sell my hats for a nickle at our garage sale...".

I turned and said "Browns?"

they both nodded.

She said "it's a disgrace. Never thought we would give up, but this is just...."...and he said "yep. just a disgrace."

I nodded and said "yep, a lot of folks like us are disgusted....", paid for my stuff and said to them " Take care."

It's bad, it's ....... the browns disgrace. They were taken for complete fools, and they jumped at the chance to be fools. Next year would have been a great time to draft a qb.

Cal... I don't expect Athletes to be complete choir boys.. I mean hell.. I grew up in the street myself... I've done some stupid stuff in my youth... But this ass.. Has serious issues... He's a star athlete but he needs to set up broads for his massages and peepee tugs? ... It's ridiculous... This guy has born loser written all over him... Now the Browns due to their greed and stupidity will languish in the basement for another 20 plus years and who gets to suffer for it?.. You guessed it... Us fans... I have pretty much given up hope of ever seeing a championship in my lifetime with this stupid team... As far as I'm concerned... The Browns died when Modell moved the team.. This team is like a Woke ,Vegan facsimile of what it once was... A shitty knock off... I hope the Browns burn good for this... They deserve nothing less... or more for that matter...

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 5:56 AM, Dutch Oven said:

But first, have cal tell us more stories of him hitting on older men at grocery stores and doctor offices by using the Browns as a conversation starter.

Those stories are gold! 

See cal's post above. You were right.😁

• Haha 1

the other one was in a parking lot, the guy was right next to my car when I parked, and he was wearing a Brownie hat.

Sorry, I wish it had been at a hardware store, but I needed veggies for my vidalia onion relish. I made and canned 23 pints. It goes on hot dogs, subs, sandwiches.... it is superior to any I've ever bought in a store.

I haven't met anyone talking about the browns while hiking in our woods or I would post that.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, nickers said:

. I grew up in the street myself... 

So weird ,because that's EXACTLY what I thought to myself when I saw your Myspace profile pic there in the left corner.  From the mean streets.  The school of hard knocks, if you will. 

Can't wait for Cals next story, when he overhears some village elder in a remote part of Siberia talking about the Browns after they're done with the tiger hunt and foraging. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

So weird ,because that's EXACTLY what I thought to myself when I saw your Myspace profile pic there in the left corner.  From the mean streets.  The school of hard knocks, if you will. 

Can't wait for Cals next story, when he overhears some village elder in a remote part of Siberia talking about the Browns after they're done with the tiger hunt and foraging. 

That was not a "Myspace" pic... I havent used Myspace in almost 20 years... That was a cropped band photo I redid... Myspace fell by the wayside like Geoshitty did...

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

no, that would be an invented story. i1.png

When I think of the Browns and Deshaun Watson.. I remember what my pop always said
"Assholes will find each other"

On 6/7/2022 at 10:41 PM, Dutch Oven said:

So he went out and upgraded the most important position, which is his job. The problem is, he upgraded the starting QB with a player so toxic, such a public relations nightmare that I think it could very well cost Andrew Berry his job. 

I'm thinking Jimmy H gave the green light, told Berry to go all-in. 

I don't think you need an Ivy League education to suspect something was up with Watson. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I don't think you need an Ivy League education to suspect something was up with Watson. 

I'm pretty sure Jimmy got it from his best advisor, the homeless guy that told him to draft JFF.😁

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

the other one was in a parking lot, the guy was right next to my car when I parked, and he was wearing a Brownie hat.

Sorry, I wish it had been at a hardware store, but I needed veggies for my vidalia onion relish. I made and canned 23 pints. It goes on hot dogs, subs, sandwiches.... it is superior to any I've ever bought in a store.

I haven't met anyone talking about the browns while hiking in our woods or I would post that.

Wnen I go for fresh stuff at the Farmers Market every Tuesday morning, I'll look for Browns fans and get their opinions on the matter. More likely to just get their onions though. BTW one local farmer and his wife there have the best tomatoes we've gotten since living in N.C. 50+ years ago at a roadside stand. We've been eating 'em fresh every which way you can make 'em including just a plain old tomato sandwich with real thick slices. Yum!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

So get it over with…the media wants blood…suspend him for a year.

some of you are ridiculous.…and way too self righteous. 

No one is being righteous about handies.  No one cares that athletes etc get those.  That's consenting adults.  It isn't pretentious to expect your personal space to respected and so on.  I have no doubt in my mind that if you took your care to a mechanic for repair, and you opened the hood to point out the problem, and then the mechanic, who gets off on dudes like you, bending over the engine of a car, rubs up against you with his full on chubb from behind.  Would anyone be too self righteous to claim that what the mechanic did was a violation of your rights/ your space....and then you find out he's been doing that to ever customer that shows up?  Now if you had called the mechanic up and said, lets do some gay role play...I'll drive my car up to your shop, and when I bend over and my ass is all up in the air, you walk up behind me and grind your bulge into my butt....thats consent between adults.  Do whatever you want.  That isn't what Watson did.

17 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I'm certainly no expert of Watson's language in his contract... but He's hugely commitment'd come March of 2023

"In this case, Next March 1st of 2023.. The Browns (Haslam) are going to have to deposit a number close to $170/$180M in what amounts to an escrow account, where the guaranteed money gets held that is owed to the player in the future," 

“As it relates to Watson’s contract, it means that the Browns will be required, per a source with knowledge of the formula and policy, to place $169 million into escrow as of March 31, 2023. As the source explained it, the league takes a snapshot of all fully guaranteed salaries on January 31 of each year. Any fully guaranteed payments not made by March 31 must be placed in escrow, up to 75 percent of the total contract value. Also, each team has a $15 million annual allowance. Under the terms of Watson’s current deal, it works out to be a major chunk of cash that [Browns owner Jimmy Haslam] must set aside next year.

The contract is fully guaranteed and includes a $44.965 million signing bonus, and includes a no-trade clause through the entire contract. 

Is anybody certain of Watson's contract language up until March 1st of 2023? ?

Happy FriDaY ! 🥳 

• Upvote 1

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/mike-florio-jim-donovan-nfl-should-put-browns-qb-deshaun-watson-on-non-paid-leave/95-256e645f-8661-4bf1-af0b-f617fc880df8

Interesting proposal straight-up trade for Sam Darnold. Everybody's off the hook. I would prefer a straight-up trade for Drew Locke but....

Also how great would it be if the Houston Texans who facilitated this Behavior with the hotel room and the nondisclosure contracts were docked all of the first round draft picks they stole from us.

WSS

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I'm certainly no expert of Watson's language in his contract... but He's hugely commitment'd come March of 2023

"In this case, Next March 1st of 2023.. The Browns (Haslam) are going to have to deposit a number close to $170/$180M in what amounts to an escrow account, where the guaranteed money gets held that is owed to the player in the future," 

“As it relates to Watson’s contract, it means that the Browns will be required, per a source with knowledge of the formula and policy, to place $169 million into escrow as of March 31, 2023. As the source explained it, the league takes a snapshot of all fully guaranteed salaries on January 31 of each year. Any fully guaranteed payments not made by March 31 must be placed in escrow, up to 75 percent of the total contract value. Also, each team has a $15 million annual allowance. Under the terms of Watson’s current deal, it works out to be a major chunk of cash that [Browns owner Jimmy Haslam] must set aside next year.

The contract is fully guaranteed and includes a $44.965 million signing bonus, and includes a no-trade clause through the entire contract. 

Is anybody certain of Watson's contract language up until March 1st of 2023? ?

Happy FriDaY ! 🥳 

That may be where the BROWNS are right now having their lawyers trying to figure out if they can get out from under this dead elephant. 

See:  Void or voidable contracts for a start.  And good luck with getting out of a contract it's not an easy thing to do.