THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson Suspended for 11 Games and Fined $5 Million / and a bit OT and back.

mjp28

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Mike Florio is a lawyer I don't think that he said anything out of line.

His job is to report about football, not opine, opine, opine everyday about it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

His job is to report about football, not opine, opine, opine everyday about it.

Well I don't agree with you. So there I guess. The sportswriters did absolutely nothing but report exactly what happened no one would read it. And his opinion as a lawyer is extremely valid to what's going on with Watson. I don't care what your opinion might be of what he did or didn't do can you imagine going through 24 separate trials? And think about it all he has to lose is 1.

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Well I don't agree with you. So there I guess. The sportswriters did absolutely nothing but report exactly what happened no one would read it. And his opinion as a lawyer is extremely valid to what's going on with Watson. I don't care what your opinion might be of what he did or didn't do can you imagine going through 24 separate trials? And think about it all he has to lose is 1.

WSS

Lol well it's ok to disagree. 

Anyway, I know the NY Times isn't always credible, but look at this guys....

NY Times Invesstigation on DW

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

NY Times Investigation on DW

Hmmm.....were the Texans enabling this guy? 

I mean, Watson demands a trade and voila this story comes out.

The timing, along with the lawyer living down the street from the Texans owner, always struck me as really suspicious. I thought that this could have been a hit job by the Texans owner on Watson to get him back for demanding a trade, now I think it was even crazier. It could be that the Texans didn't just get this story out there to fuck with Watson, it could be that they were actively involved in this behavior. 

This story could be getting MUCH bigger, with many other people involved. Get the popcorn out.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I'm guessing they didn't think it out too well at the outset knowing that Watson didn't want to come here anyway and that Landing him would be a long shot. When it came to pass it was too late for plan a whatever that might have been.

WSS

I'm starting to feel like Watson wasn't honest with the Browns, wasn't honest with the fans at his press conference and I'd rather have all the picks back, one year of Baker and questions at the qb position after that than what we have now.

He may not be a criminal, but if he's a liar ... he's not a leader.

Z

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I mean, Watson demands a trade and voila this story comes out.

Get the popcorn out.  

ya'd think the original Watson trade partner team's were enlightened (by Hardin) to this kind of major news?  

21 hours ago, Pat Mahomo said:

I don't care if Watson got happy endings.  If he was a sexual creep predator about it...whatever.  We have laws that try and establish what you can and can't do.  Again...if the laides were wronged, and win in court, good for them. if not...whatever.

If you are the Haslems and the Browns organization...for F**CKS SAKE!....just own it!  Come out say you don't care that Watson is into happy ending massages.  Have Dee Haslem come out and say that it's an understood if somewhat unbecoming norm in society that dudes visit people and places that perform this service.  If you claim to have the utmost confidence in Watson and the choice to trade for him...and sign him to a giant contract...OWN IT!  Nothing wrong with being honest about what we, as a people, do.  There are lots of places that sell this service and lots of dudes who purchase it...including Robert Kraft.  BIG DEAL!!!!  It wouldn't be as big a deal if the Browns and Haslems would just admit that they don't mind or care that Watson likes his wiener rubbed....

I'ts a bad look that you can't have a press conference or let anyone talk to the media, while also saying you did your due dilligence and fully support Watson....

The worst part is by saying you did your due dilligence, and then more charges come out.....you look like you didn't do your due dilligence, and by not talking or allowing any media access...you look like your support is just a veneer.   

I stop reading when gibberish starts to rear it's head.

Sorry.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Lol well it's ok to disagree. 

Anyway, I know the NY Times isn't always credible, but look at this guys....

NY Times Invesstigation on DW

24 lawsuits, 66 women.

Looks like he completed 64% of his passes.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

I'm starting to feel like Watson wasn't honest with the Browns, wasn't honest with the fans at his press conference and I'd rather have all the picks back, one year of Baker and questions at the qb position after that than what we have now.

He may not be a criminal, but if he's a liar ... he's not a leader.

Z

What is the starting quarterbacks  #1 job on the team ?  That's right the team leader.  

We don't need more crap on this soap opera.

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

ya'd think the original Watson trade partner team's were enlightened (by Hardin) to this kind of major news?  

I doubt it. I think at the end of the day the Browns had the best contract offer.

And this is just getting better and better. 

And here's the ironic thing about all this:

Andrew Berry had zero interest tying his future as the GM of the Browns to Baker Mayfield, and I totally understand this. Another mediocre season missing the playoffs with this loaded roster in 2022 could have resulted in Berry and Co. losing their jobs. It was obvious the Browns had no interest in signing Mayfield to an extenstion. 

So he went out and upgraded the most important position, which is his job. The problem is, he upgraded the starting QB with a player so toxic, such a public relations nightmare that I think it could very well cost Andrew Berry his job. 

• Upvote 1

...continuing my worthless rant....

Clearly the Browns, the Haslems...and so on, are in a bad spot.  The reason why is because, IF this was just some dude going to your run of the mill rub and tug place, it might be offputting, but at least would fall within the range somewhere in society of..."we know this happens, and while we don't condone Watsons choice to visit these establishments...at least at those places you have consenting adults with an understanding of the the transaction happening."

The problem with this whole mess is that Watson hasn't seemed to approach these ladies with the proposition of trading money for rub and tug. He makes the transaction about a massage, then gets aroused by the idea them being shocked/surprised and then blowing up on them or near them, just as he is asking them for a blow job or whatever.  Is that a crime?  I don't know...but is it a violation of some kind?  Yes.  It is.  If Watson was in it for just the rub and tug..there are 100's of places he could get that done, discretely.  He isn't after that.  He's in it for the thrill of the surprise.  You might get away with it here and there.  You might even get away with that 10 or 20 times....but when you are habitually doing this, every week with at least 66 different ladies....you can't expect to keep on getting away with it.  Watson is weak minded AND stupid.

As far as football goes....WOW.  How do you ever come close to "winning" this or redeaming this?

Watson is going to be tied up in court for a long time with trials etc.  The NFL might want to wait unti the trials are over before doing anything becaue they cold be accused of swaying court cases if they act and suspend him while those are ongoing...but they are going to want to bring the hammer on this at some point.

I think it's going to be a year when they bring it.  So you guys get a year of nothing football (I suppose you are used to that though) ...and THEN when dude comes back..IF he comes back...he'll have been out of the leauge for 2 full seasons....can he still play?  That's a long damn time.  ....

If he plays does he suck?  ....for the contract to work...he has to play, VERY VERY WELL at some far off time in the future....a future that is looking more and more like he'll lose court cases and be unpopular, controversial...and so on. 

So, to sum up....he'll miss alot more time, be an outcast in his own teams town and accross the leauge....on a team that already has the aura of a curse and bad vibes to overcome as it is.  You traded big draft picks and are paying an enormous guaranteed contract for the idea that he'll overcome ALL OF THAT? and win?  HA! 

There is a time not too far off where the Browns are going to try and lawyer out of this contract and cap hit.  You can't make this stuff up.  Its unreal.

• Upvote 3

Here's the latest: I know it's been beat to death and I know we have to almost identical threads. Don't know if Mike or Larry or Zombo would choose to combine them, I'll leave it up to you.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/07/could-24th-lawsuit-against-deshaun-watson-eventually-allow-browns-to-void-his-guarantees/

WSS

I'll post this again since we have two nearly identical threads. Just the latest on a story that's been beaten nearly to death but it is what it is.

Hypothetical: could the Browns cut their losses with Watson and make peace with Mayfield?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/07/could-24th-lawsuit-against-deshaun-watson-eventually-allow-browns-to-void-his-guarantees/

Haslam and Berry prove once again they aren't smarter than everyone else... I knew this was a bad deal from the get go... Even if they cut their losses... They're still screwed... We're not getting those picks back and Texas is laughing all the way to the draft board... Cleveland deserves better than this... Clearly Watson has lied... I say the season is lost before it even started.. LOL Browns... As a lifelong Browns fan.. I'm embarrassed for this team... This town and it's fans... I just don't see a championship happening in my lifetime ..

What's up dudes? I'm back for just a moment. Hope life is going well for everyone-we're expecting our second kiddo!

I'm not here to check-in to have a victory parade of how I told you all this was a bad idea, even though it was an absolute moronic decision. Let's break down what's happened, though, in the last several weeks

• 2 more lawsuits are opened up, with one being admitted by Watson's lawyers as a person they did not know about. Red flag galore there.
  • We're at the point where the legal defense for Watson is using the classic "yeah he did it, but it wasn't illegal" argument.
  • Credible reporting has surfaced that he was willing to settle cases to play in Miami (something he has markedly said he wouldn't do). Read the tea leaves here, fellas-Cleveland wasn't even close to his first choice. He just took the money cause he knew the shit he didn't tell the NFL, the Browns, and even his lawyers.
  • Credible reporting is now that 66 massages were sought, and the Texans helped him get NDA's. 

Do you really think this is everything? Do you think this dude wasn't doing shit in college when he was the #1 man on campus? That there likely isn't more "massages" before the Texans got involved?

The Haslams took a pathetic, half-brained, and short-sighted gamble and lost. The NFL, at a minimum, will suspend this dude for a year. There's absolutely no way they can't. So now the team is in a position of paying a sexual predator $45 million or so dollars who hasn't played a down in 2.5 years. 

It's time to cut an run, and I hope the Browns realize that too. I'm guessing strongly good chunks of this information was not known by the NFL or the Browns. Use that as the basis to void his contract-unless they are the dumbest people on planet earth, I have to believe there is language to do so in his deal. 

From here, fight like hell to get the first round picks back. If it ends up being true the Texans were knowingly helping Watson engage in this behavior, there may be a case to warrant the trade was not completed in good faith. Who knows, though, on that one. From here the team has to roll with Jacoby, Mayfield ain't coming back. Focus on 2023 as that QB class is loaded.

My position remains the same-so long as Watson sets food on the field I'm not watching. The thing is though, this isn't even the "tough" decision anymore. It's the common sense one, but unfortunately it's very unlikely to happen.

• Upvote 1

Headline chasers anyone ?  I've always tried to look at the bright side but until this mess is done, well ?

lot of worst case scenarios here, BROWNS stuck with DW and his monster contract.  DW never plays in the NFL again. BROWNS lose both DW and Mayfield and have to play 2022 with backup quarterbacks. 

BROWNS miss the 2022 playoffs entirely. 

BROWNS never fully recover from this DW fiasco.  

After living through the Hue years this with the high expectations might be worse. 

Yahoo Sports headline story June 8, 2022.   OMG.    :huh:

Report: Deshaun Watson met with at least 66 women for massages in 17 months; Texans may have 'enabled' behavior

Charles Robinson
Charles Robinson
·NFL columnist
Tue, June 7, 2022, 6:19 PM·5 min read
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I don't know what the issue is, I've ordered massages off Craiglist before.  Only woke up missing a kidney the one time.

Could be worse....two ?   Oh God I shutter to think about either.

OK could have woke up with crabs.   :lol:

• Haha 1

Now this thread takes on a new meaning,  what has DW spent more on :

A. WATSON HAS SPENT OVER 300K ON TEAMMATES...THUS FAR. WHY? 

-or-

B. Massages for sex.    :lol:  

9 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

What's up dudes? I'm back for just a moment. Hope life is going well for everyone-we're expecting our second kiddo!

I'm not here to check-in to have a victory parade of how I told you all this was a bad idea, even though it was an absolute moronic decision. Let's break down what's happened, though, in the last several weeks

• 2 more lawsuits are opened up, with one being admitted by Watson's lawyers as a person they did not know about. Red flag galore there.
  • We're at the point where the legal defense for Watson is using the classic "yeah he did it, but it wasn't illegal" argument.
  • Credible reporting has surfaced that he was willing to settle cases to play in Miami (something he has markedly said he wouldn't do). Read the tea leaves here, fellas-Cleveland wasn't even close to his first choice. He just took the money cause he knew the shit he didn't tell the NFL, the Browns, and even his lawyers.
  • Credible reporting is now that 66 massages were sought, and the Texans helped him get NDA's. 

Do you really think this is everything? Do you think this dude wasn't doing shit in college when he was the #1 man on campus? That there likely isn't more "massages" before the Texans got involved?

The Haslams took a pathetic, half-brained, and short-sighted gamble and lost. The NFL, at a minimum, will suspend this dude for a year. There's absolutely no way they can't. So now the team is in a position of paying a sexual predator $45 million or so dollars who hasn't played a down in 2.5 years. 

It's time to cut an run, and I hope the Browns realize that too. I'm guessing strongly good chunks of this information was not known by the NFL or the Browns. Use that as the basis to void his contract-unless they are the dumbest people on planet earth, I have to believe there is language to do so in his deal. 

From here, fight like hell to get the first round picks back. If it ends up being true the Texans were knowingly helping Watson engage in this behavior, there may be a case to warrant the trade was not completed in good faith. Who knows, though, on that one. From here the team has to roll with Jacoby, Mayfield ain't coming back. Focus on 2023 as that QB class is loaded.

My position remains the same-so long as Watson sets food on the field I'm not watching. The thing is though, this isn't even the "tough" decision anymore. It's the common sense one, but unfortunately it's very unlikely to happen.

My sentiments exactly. It's become worse than even I thought it was. I do wish there was a way to get those draft picks back...but I will bet there isn't. The texans will have none of it, I think. They had to be dancing in the stadium offices when they pulled that one off.

15 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

My sentiments exactly. It's become worse than even I thought it was. I do wish there was a way to get those draft picks back...but I will bet there isn't. The texans will have none of it, I think. They had to be dancing in the stadium offices when they pulled that one off.

The Texans were rewarded heavily for this.  This Code of Conduct the NFL is investigating will only sock it to Cleveland not the team that actually employed Watson the time all this was going on.  Make sense?  It shouldn't.  Watson was the face of their franchise; and they sure seem pretty damn well informed on what he was doing in their community. 

All the Browns had to do was keep the QB that won a playoff game as recently as January of 2021 (when healthy) for the 5th and final year of his contract they agreed/committed to.  If he ended up playing as poorly as he did last year, the Browns would be in ideal position to draft a QB in what is considered to be a pretty strong QB draft in 2023.

• Upvote 2

So since he signed the massive deal he’s had two new civil cases brought against him.  I don’t find this surprising at all.  In fact, I’d expect more to show up after his well publicized guaranteed contract that everyone had a problem with.   

There were 22 when he was traded.  12 of 22 were brought forward to a grand jury for criminal charges and all of those failed to render an indictment. Can Florio explain the significance of that? 

And We know the owners are upset especially the ones that are getting ready to pay “franchise QBs”