THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson Suspended for 11 Games and Fined $5 Million / and a bit OT and back.

mjp28

If Deshaun was really up to no good all along, and the Texans had at least an inkling on what the situation was (if not complete knowledge,) why then would the Texans hold out trading Deshaun for maximum compensation?  If the Texans were somehow complicit in some way, and/or knew at least partially the full scope of Watson's behavior, it seems to me they would be (surreptitiously) EAGER to cut ties with him, BEFORE news of their complicity AND/OR the full scope of DeShaun's activities became public [the point (it would appear) we are at now - although perhaps there is more to come.] Why play hardball in holding onto an asset whose value in the near future could approach zero (that near future being now,) when you could get something good for him (one and a two, one and a player, two first rounders, combinations thereof) before the other shoe drops?  Why draw a line in the sand at 3 first rounders when time is definitely NOT on your side?  Ultimately it worked in their favor, at least for now, but clearly that may not have been the case.

Just now, onkyoreceiver said:

If Deshaun was really up to no good all along, and the Texans had at least an inkling on what the situation was (if not complete knowledge,) why then would the Texans hold out trading Deshaun for maximum compensation?  If the Texans were somehow complicit in some way, and/or knew at least partially the full scope of Watson's behavior, it seems to me they would be (surreptitiously) EAGER to cut ties with him, BEFORE news of their complicity AND/OR the full scope of DeShaun's activities became public [the point (it would appear) we are at now - although perhaps there is more to come.] Why play hardball in holding onto an asset whose value in the near future could approach zero (that near future being now,) when you could get something good for him (one and a two, one and a player, two first rounders, combinations thereof) before the other shoe drops?  Why draw a line in the sand at 3 first rounders when time is definitely NOT on your side?  Ultimately it worked in their favor, at least for now, but clearly that may not have been the case.

If they paid for the hotel room for the 60 plus massages and if they insisted on the non-disclosure they were most certainly not on the up-and-up.

WSS

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

That may be where the BROWNS are right now having their lawyers trying to figure out if they can get out from under this dead elephant. 

See:  Void or voidable contracts for a start.  And good luck with getting out of a contract it's not an easy thing to do. 

Honestly I don’t think they are.  If criminal charges came later I’d agree with you. 

I believe the FO thought this would be an 8 game suspension.   It is now feeling like a season.  So they’d have four after this- why are we talking about cutting at this point? 

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Also how great would it be if the Houston Texans who facilitated this Behavior with the hotel room and the nondisclosure contracts were docked all of the first round draft picks they stole from us.

WSS

I've been wondering if that scenario is possible, sure seems like it. But I keep asking myself, why would Buzbee bring the Texans into the suit, if it could harm them? 

I'm not a fan of lawyers but this is where they're needed. Complicated stuff.

25 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I've been wondering if that scenario is possible, sure seems like it. But I keep asking myself, why would Buzbee bring the Texans into the suit, if it could harm them? 

I'm not a fan of lawyers but this is where they're needed. Complicated stuff.

I thought those revelations were from The New York Times story but part of his evidence? Not sure.

As far as lawyers I don't like crooks weasels or snakes unless they are working for me. 🌞

WSS

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Honestly I don’t think they are.  If criminal charges came later I’d agree with you. 

I believe the FO thought this would be an 8 game suspension.   It is now feeling like a season.  So they’d have four after this- why are we talking about cutting at this point? 

A lot of this is around timing 0, 8, 17 games lost ?  I wonder if the Browns FO know more than the public know on this  -or-  are they just going through this one day at a time.   It's taxing on all of us.

Are the BROWNS satisfied with his contract as is if they can (not likely) get out of some of the guarantees 

And is all of the DW character stuff already out there and not going to do further damage to the team ?  We'll see.......

20 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

You beat me to it Steve...  However, that link is hiding behind the Cleveland.com paywall...  BUT... I was able to see the entire article on my phone.  

EDIT- As Terry pointed out... this was pretty shady on the Texans part...  If a player is getting "massages", teams will want (usually insist) the player getting them at the team facility where they can be supervised, not in some hotel room.

BTW 66 women\ 18 months =  one every 8 days, give or take a few... Deshaun was buying himself a lot of happiness.  :(  

Don't know- but it sure is starting to look like Watson was actively soliciting prostitution (for over a year) under the guise of "massages".  This is getting so ugly... I'm almost hoping the NFL steps in, puts Deshaun on indefinite suspension, and voids the rest of his deal.   

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You beat me to it Steve...  However, that link is hiding behind the Cleveland.com paywall...  BUT... I was able to see the entire article on my phone.  

As Terry pointed out... this was pretty shady on the Texans part...  If a player is getting "massages", teams will want (usually insist) the player getting them at the team facility where they can be supervised, not in some hotel room.

BTW 66 women\ 18 months =  one every 8 days, give or take a few... Deshaun was buying himself a lot of happiness.  :(  

Don't know- but it sure looks like Watson was actively soliciting prostitution under the guise of "massages".  

The man .. And I use the term "Man" loosely has a serious sex problem... He's a Dupa and I hope he never gets one snap with the Browns... He can't even control himself... How in fuck can he lead a group of men?

3 hours ago, nickers said:

How in fuck can he lead a group of men?

He only has to lead them enough so that they can run under it and catch it.  And then make good decisions with the football.  If he can do that, then nothing else will matter while they're between the white lines.

Until that time, stuff has to play out.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, syd said:

they need to figure this shit out before more and more women pile on it's bad for everyone and how long till they name the nfl in the suit

I remember going back to the Pete Rozelle days it was all about  "protect the shield"  almost at any cost.

This BROWNS / DW /Texans/ NFL soap opera can't be good for anyone involved. 

And the 2022 preseason is right around the corner so hopefully something will be resolved........soon.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Is anybody certain of Watson's contract language up until March 1st of 2023? ?

Have we ruffled someones feathers ? 

MKC Today,

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/06/browns-are-still-all-in-on-deshaun-watson-and-not-looking-to-void-the-230-million-contract-sources-say.html

Cabot links back to 4-8-22, PFT Mike Florio

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/08/deshaun-watsons-contract-contains-exception-to-typical-club-protections-in-event-of-suspension/

We’ve obtained a copy of the contract.(oh really) It does indeed include “typical club protections.” However, it also includes a major exception to those “typical club protections.”

If Watson admits to having sexual encounters with any, some, or all of those #?? women, could that get him suspended, regardless of the outcome of the investigation regarding the #?? massage therapists who accuse him of wrongdoing?

1.) The Commissioner could decide that Watson should miss games without pay as part of the effort to intervene and to resolve the behaviors that resulted in Watson repeatedly (if the evidence supports that conclusion) using massage sessions as cover for the solicitation of prostitution.

2.) If that occurs, and *if* that specific wrinkle hasn’t* been included in the written disclosure mentioned in Watson’s contract, the Browns *possibly would be able to void his guarantees and/or to recover a portion of his signing bonus, if it so chooses.

Reminder.. Cabot (like myself) had to go back to April 8th to find any kind of 'so called' contract language 

All is prior to..

the number of 18 cases jumping up to 24 civil cases..

No HBO's one sided story

No Washington writers findings.. 

IMHO...No... the media don't know the true language (nor should they) that Berry/ (Haslam's money) has written in Watson's contract before March of 2023..

Why use words of 'If'? If' we're claiming to.... We've obtained a copy of Watson's contract....

I'm still Hopeful, Berry has all his Watson contract processing bases covered.. 🤞

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

What has changed in the last month other than renewed public outrage? 

#22 +1= # 23 +1 = 24,  #66? Katie bar the door.  :(   Can we say looking for wiener pulls and blow jobs... Just an oral massage.. 

This is starting to make Ben R. look like a saint by comparison...  :(   

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

#22 +1= # 23 +1 = 24,  #66? Katie bar the door.  :(   Can we say looking for wiener pulls and blow jobs... Just an oral massage.. 

This is starting to make Ben R. look like a saint by comparison...  :(   

Indictments/convictions?   You can sue him too. 

His lawyer said #24 was completely false….I hope #23 was just false like the others 

Florio, the media and some of you would have him suspended until 2028 

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

lol...

1QeEMqGfa1VW81CSmC.gif    Touchdown ! (6 games suspended;))

The off season NFL media groups needed no help in creating a 'Watson click bait weekly'..

even some lawsuit evaluator groups have updated their numbers... https://www.lawsuit-information-center.com/deshaun-watson-civil-settlement.html

I feel the biggest story now is? Whom & What? played out as part of the Texans involvement?

If still on staff? He/she/it* may fall onto the NFL exempt list, while Watson walks into a NFL Mandatory Camp?

Will the 'Creep Show' ending end by Tuesday?  I doubt it!  stay tuned   

16 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

What has changed in the last month other than renewed public outrage? 

Awareness. 

You make it sound like how dare the public (and a growing contingent of longtime die hard Browns' fans) not wanting this guy to get a guaranteed 230 million $ contract.  And what's the expense?  Feel free to take inventory of how many draft picks they gave up for him plus the cap hit he's costing this team.  You're already excusing him for possibly being suspended anywhere from 8-16 games in some of your posts. Even worse, the same FO + Owner that thought the only thing wrong with the franchise was the QB, which would have been more acceptable if they didn't already commit to the 5th year option guaranteeing that same QB $18,900,000.  When Jimmy announced this was the most comprehensive research they have ever done on any QB/player they signed - I wondered why nobody asked him why he didn't draft Watson when our 1-15 record had him right on our 1st overall draft slot for far less money.  Then, they wouldn't have had to draft Baker with the next 1st overall pick after this franchise went 0-16.  The difference between the Browns and other teams in the AFC North today is Cleveland remains the only franchise incapable of drafting a franchise QB. 

I liked it when the Browns had QBs with imperfections to overcome back in the 80s. When (13th round draft pick) Brian Sipe had the alleged arm strength of a Girl Scout earning the only NFL MVP award this franchise has had since the 50s or 60s.  When Kosar had the mobility of a parked car and injuries from that eventually challenged his mechanics/delivery - he frequently had us in playoffs and AFC Championship Games.  Their successes in spite of that were so easy for us to appreciate and root for.  

Now we're being held hostage by a guy that has 24 alleged victims out of the 66 massage therapists he's used/abused.   It's okay for fans to worry about this.  It doesn't make them bad fans or holier than thou.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

His lawyer said #24 was completely false….I hope #23 was just false like the others 

And you sound like you want to give him his next massage...

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Look, the sheer scope of the allegations is unprecedented.  This isn't a one timer Ben R. banging some chick in a bar bathroom.  

Watson apparently checked his moral compass at the door when he keeps claiming he didn't do anything wrong, and it was all consensual.  Sorry Deshaun, not buying it. False like ALL the others? You're dreaming.  Add in- earlier in this sordid little episode Watson and his lawyers screwed up by not paying up to make it all quietly go away when they had the chance. Too late now. :(

Yeah, a lot of the accusers outrage is phony, but I'm going to  call it what it is... Paying for sex in the guise of "massages" sort of looks like soliciting prostitution.  X 66. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/paid-leave-back-table-deshaun-000859333.html

Does it seem like paid leave only punishes the browns?

WSS

LOL!!!!!!!!!!  The Browns having to bear the burden of whatever comes of this is WHY YOU DONT MAKE THIS TRADE to begin with.  The Browns deserve every last bit of any consequences.  

It's like a woman asks a mechanic friend to help her go car shopping.  She spots a car she really likes and asks the mechanic to take a look.  After checking it out, he says, it needs new ball joints, the transmission is going bad, it leaks oil, the engine light is on, it needs new brakes, it was in a flood.  I know it's a really nice looking 2017 BMW convertable, and looks nice in a selfie, but you really shouldn't buy this car.  They are asking way too much and it's going to be in the shop alot.

She buys the car anyhow and then is upset when it breaks down and she owes more on it than what it's worth.

That's the Browns.  You paid top dollar for a good looking clunker.  Way to go!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Look, the sheer scope of the allegations is unprecedented.  This isn't a one timer Ben R. banging some chick in a bar bathroom.  

Watson apparently checked his moral compass at the door when he keeps claiming he didn't do anything wrong, and it was all consensual.  Sorry Deshaun, not buying it. False like ALL the others? You're dreaming.  Add in- earlier in this sordid little episode Watson and his lawyers screwed up by not paying up to make it all quietly go away when they had the chance. Too late now. :(

Yeah, a lot of the accusers outrage is phony, but I'm going to  call it what it is... Paying for sex in the guise of "massages" sort of looks like soliciting prostitution.  X 66. 

So alot of the accuser outrage is phony…and I agree here. Is all of this worth another year or more of his career?   We’ve had pricks/jerks on this team, we’ve had cheaters, some others convicted of crimes, etc. 

There was a tug and rub thing going on.  I’d certainly have a problem if one of the two said “no”…and a grand jury would too.  And If we placed the facts in front of a Grand Jury and we’ve been lectured and taught here about that process and how an accuser has the cards stacked against them ….what’s changed with two more civil claims?  

Two consenting adults!!!!! 

Bored Media hyping more outrage and ramping up again….and adding others (a team) to the fold 

11 hours ago, Flugel said:

Awareness. 

You make it sound like how dare the public (and a growing contingent of longtime die hard Browns' fans) not wanting this guy to get a guaranteed 230 million $ contract.  And what's the expense?  Feel free to take inventory of how many draft picks they gave up for him plus the cap hit he's costing this team.  You're already excusing him for possibly being suspended anywhere from 8-16 games in some of your posts. Even worse, the same FO + Owner that thought the only thing wrong with the franchise was the QB, which would have been more acceptable if they didn't already commit to the 5th year option guaranteeing that same QB $18,900,000.  When Jimmy announced this was the most comprehensive research they have ever done on any QB/player they signed - I wondered why nobody asked him why he didn't draft Watson when our 1-15 record had him right on our 1st overall draft slot for far less money.  Then, they wouldn't have had to draft Baker with the next 1st overall pick after this franchise went 0-16.  The difference between the Browns and other teams in the AFC North today is Cleveland remains the only franchise incapable of drafting a franchise QB. 

I liked it when the Browns had QBs with imperfections to overcome back in the 80s. When (13th round draft pick) Brian Sipe had the alleged arm strength of a Girl Scout earning the only NFL MVP award this franchise has had since the 50s or 60s.  When Kosar had the mobility of a parked car and injuries from that eventually challenged his mechanics/delivery - he frequently had us in playoffs and AFC Championship Games.  Their successes in spite of that were so easy for us to appreciate and root for.  

Now we're being held hostage by a guy that has 24 alleged victims out of the 66 massage therapists he's used/abused.   It's okay for fans to worry about this.  It doesn't make them bad fans or holier than thou.

The reality is men and women not Convicted of crimes have faced punishment from the NFL and that will be the case here. Maybe my bewilderment is with The year plus or indefinite crowd. 

Trust me I’m aware…Did the grand jury think consenting adults were “victims”?  You can call them opportunists too. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

no I let a grand jury judge his actions.

🤣 Last time I heard how accurate a Grand Jury was - OJ Simpson was being found not guilty of slitting his wife's throat.  

Guess what happened after that?  Karma put the bad guy in jail anyway.  Kind of funny how that works...

• Upvote 1

On 6/10/2022 at 9:42 AM, Westside Steve said:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/mike-florio-jim-donovan-nfl-should-put-browns-qb-deshaun-watson-on-non-paid-leave/95-256e645f-8661-4bf1-af0b-f617fc880df8

Interesting proposal straight-up trade for Sam Darnold. Everybody's off the hook. I would prefer a straight-up trade for Drew Locke but....

Also how great would it be if the Houston Texans who facilitated this Behavior with the hotel room and the nondisclosure contracts were docked all of the first round draft picks they stole from us.

WSS

Sam Darnold is awful.

Fucking awful.

I'd rather have Brissett. 

Z

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The reality is men and women not Convicted of crimes have faced punishment from the NFL and that will be the case here. Maybe my bewilderment is with The year plus or indefinite crowd. 

Trust me I’m aware…Did the grand jury think consenting adults were “victims”?  You can call them opportunists too. 

Again, OJ Simpson wasn't convicted of murder in front of a Grand Jury either. That said, was there even 1 juror that really thought he didn't slit his wife's throat?   Perhaps stuff like this is why the NFL knows they need to do their own investigation.

In Watson's case, the Houston Texans organization was actually booking a hotel room for appointments with many of Watson's 66 different massage therapists.  

You are correct about some opportunists.  7 of these massage therapists have admitted to booking more appointments with Watson and bragging to others they're continuing to work with him.  The problem with this is it doesn't change the feelings of the massage therapists that had legitimate reasons not to sell out.  Another problem with all this is Watson either doesn't think he's done anything wrong; or he can just lie his way out of it as many times as necessary.   

Edited by Flugel
  • Upvote 3