THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Browns NFL Draft Prospects

Dutch Oven

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

Not to put any pressure on you or jinx ya - but you got me intrigued by him too!  The good news about that is if he disappoints - you can blame me.

I usually get 2 draft magazines that are a good guide; but I haven't seen either one yet.  They usually come out right after the Combines without the recently updated 40 times.  Last year, I only found Lindy's Sports Pro Football Draft here in Florida.  They prolly think people in Florida can't read or something judging by head-on collisions on 1 way streets and the "No Cop No Stop" tickets being given right next to those adorable red stop signs.   We can read - honest! 

I usually look for the Lindy's magazine around St. Patrick's Day, that seems to be when it comes out. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Give you one guess who came in #2 in the 10 yd split at 1.51. A clue can be found above. And what does that tell you? The other one is the long distance home run hitter that few DBs can catch when he breaks through. They may both be right there in the 2nd when we pick, maybe one is BPA. Ya never know.

We spent a 5th on Jerome Ford..

I'm a grad of where K.Hunt graduated from.. I'm gonna hate losing a animal like Hunt.. but Ford's RB2 in 2023 is coming..

Achane has a 2nd or 3rd round grade ..

I need a rookie back to boot Felton or D'Ernest Johnson's RFA deal at camp..

I'd prefer one of Deuce/Mitchell or Hull and hope we only spend a Ford 5th or a Felton's 6th rounder to replace one or both..

I still can't believe RB John Kelly has not been picked off our PS.. Bigger needs than a RB, before the 5th/imo

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

We spent a 5th on Jerome Ford..

I'm a grad of where K.Hunt graduated from.. I'm gonna hate losing a animal like Hunt.. but Ford's RB2 in 2023 is coming..

Achane has a 2nd or 3rd round grade ..

I need a rookie back to boot Felton or D'Ernest Johnson's RFA deal at camp..

I'd prefer one of Deuce/Mitchell or Hull and hope we only spend a Ford 5th or a Felton's 6th rounder to replace one or both..

I still can't believe RB John Kelly has not been picked off our PS.. Bigger needs than a RB, before the 5th/imo

The good thing about the RB position these days is they aren't being prioritized early on in the draft.  I'll bet there will be some good RBs available in round 7 or in the undrafted opportunities.  As much as I criticize Berry, he does a pretty good at finding late round RBs that can help us.  Now if he can expand this art of not reaching on guys to other positions, he just might get this whole thang figured out here in 2023...

Off the top of my head, we could do with more than one IDL. Possibly an Edge as replacement for Clowney. A replacement for Deion Jones, who we can no longer afford. A possible replacement or upgrade over Walker Jr. An upgrade over DPJ as #2 WR. An upgrade over Bryant as #2 TE. Competition and a possible '24 replacement for Harris at C. And there is probably more...

With respect, why are we talking about RB? Even without Hunt, it is one of our most stacked position groups. Probably second only to CB. Would be more than happy to go into the season with Johnson and Ford behind Chubb.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

The good thing about the RB position these days is they aren't being prioritized early on in the draft.  I'll bet there will be some good RBs available in round 7 or in the undrafted opportunities.  As much as I criticize Berry, he does a pretty good at finding late round RBs that can help us.  Now if he can expand this art of not reaching on guys to other positions, he just might get this whole thang figured out here in 2023...

All true, but how often does a guy land as BPA that has true timed track speeds that would have come in 6th in the last Olympics in both the 100m and 200m. He has that 7th gear and very good hands to boot with the ability to lose coverage and get those long 1st downs or better. Achane may be sitting right there on day 2 with speed that has proven to transfer to full pads. The reason I put the TD video against Bama was because of the kind of speed only a Bama has on STs top to bottom. He made them look slow.

35 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Off the top of my head, we could do with more than one IDL. Possibly an Edge as replacement for Clowney. A replacement for Deion Jones, who we can no longer afford. A possible replacement or upgrade over Walker Jr. An upgrade over DPJ as #2 WR. An upgrade over Bryant as #2 TE. Competition and a possible '24 replacement for Harris at C. And there is probably more...

With respect, why are we talking about RB? Even without Hunt, it is one of our most stacked position groups. Probably second only to CB. Would be more than happy to go into the season with Johnson and Ford behind Chubb.

We've been talking about needing to make IDL a priority since last year at this time so I don't mind people talking about the RB position in the same type of places we've been adding depth to that position (anywhere from round 5 to undrafted FAs).  People have been talking about finding a WR in this draft.  I know I'd like one.  

When your draft begins in round 2, it's not a year to show up to the draft buffet on an empty stomach.  I think we'll get a better idea of what the LBers can do when better IDL keeps the OL off our Backers.  When we couldn't do that 4 LBers ended up on IR.

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

We've been talking about needing to make IDL a priority since last year at this time so I don't mind people talking about the RB position in the same type of places we've been adding depth to that position (anywhere from round 5 to undrafted FAs).  People have been talking about finding a WR in this draft.  I know I'd like one.  

When your draft begins in round 2, it's not a year to show up to the draft buffet on an empty stomach.  I think we'll get a better idea of what the LBers can do when better IDL keeps the OL off our Backers.  When we couldn't do that 4 LBers ended up on IR.

It's not that I mind discussing the position. Heck, I'm partaking in the discussion. 

It's that I would prioritize all the positions I mentioned over RB currently, because of the backs we already have. Wouldn't even spend a late-rounder on one.

2 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

It's not that I mind discussing the position. Heck, I'm partaking in the discussion. 

It's that I would prioritize all the positions I mentioned over RB currently, because of the backs we already have. Wouldn't even spend a late-rounder on one.

Sounds good, but if the BPA is a RB that's so much better than an alternative position of need, what then?

For example, DT is a high position of need, but this is one of the weakest drafts ever for a quality DT. Which do you take then?

3 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

I don't think we need to draft one either; but I wouldn't mind adding 1 or 2 Undrafted FA RBs.  I think Herman Fontenot was one of those back in our 86 season we went 12-4 in.  He had 47 receptions out of the backfield playing almost exclusively on 3rd downs back when we already had Kevin Mack, Earnest Byner, and Curtis Dickey splitting most of the carries.  Fontenot was a nobody from LSU that converted countless 3rd downs for us lining up in the backfield and catching the ball.  That's a perfect example of why you still look for an undrafted RB even when you already have a crowded backfield.  This is exactly what our current team is missing IMO.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Sounds good, but if the BPA is a RB that's so much better than an alternative position of need, what then?

For example, DT is a high position of need, but this is one of the weakest drafts ever for a quality DT. Which do you take then?

BPA is a fine creed, but it shouldn't become a religion. Surely a quality player for the many positions I mentioned will be available when we get to pick. We have too many needs. RB shouldn't even be a want. 

Same goes for CB for that matter. As for the counter that Nickel as actually a need, because Newsome said he didn't want to play that anymore, I say he should stop whining like a little b***h and play his ass off. Emerson surpassed him already. 

45 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I don't think we need to draft one either; but I wouldn't mind adding 1 or 2 Undrafted FA RBs.  I think Herman Fontenot was one of those back in our 86 season we went 12-4 in.  He had 47 receptions out of the backfield playing almost exclusively on 3rd downs back when we already had Kevin Mack, Earnest Byner, and Curtis Dickey splitting most of the carries.  Fontenot was a nobody from LSU that converted countless 3rd downs for us lining up in the backfield and catching the ball.  That's a perfect example of why you still look for an undrafted RB even when you already have a crowded backfield.  This is exactly what our current team is missing IMO.

UFA is another matter. No capital wasted there. And I do like a strong backfield for sure. 

• Upvote 1

Busy watching Pickens, IDL from South Carolina.  

But when you're watching the trenches, you can't help but watch the assignments from the opposing Oline as well.  This center for Arkansas has REALLY caught my eye - #51, Stromberg.    Good eyes, good decision making, good wingspan and hand usage/anchor for a center and moves laterally fluid enough.   Looks like he's the one calling protections at the line too when the Razorbacks go up tempo.  Speaks to his coaches trusting his knowledge of the offense and how to set blocking points = football I.Q.     He also has a nice first punch in his short sets when he goes into pass pro, almost reminds me of the strikes you see OT's land. 

Arky has a nice mix so far of gap and zone calls, and he does a nice job looking strong and well leverage, then explosive and sound in the other.    Count me on board as interested in a VERY early day 3 prospect here. 

edit:

6'3, 306 with a 33 & 1/2 arm is great size for a center.   And seeing how this coaching staff seems to like taller centers, (Pocic, Deaton)... I'd say he's on the radar.   

Also can't help but notice the parallel the last few years in Browns personnel drafted and their overall athletic score via NFL.com.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ricky-stromberg/32005354-5260-5750-52b2-dda533841893

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Take a look at 1st team AA Center John Michael Schmitz of Minn. Same size minus 5 lbs. and highest graded OL for 2022 by PFF. Drafttek says he's a mid-2nd rounder. But if we are not looking that high for another center or OG, seems like your guy would be a good pick for sure.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/john-michael-schmitz/32005343-4836-7249-e8ba-7c4c69915992

• Thanks 1

Somewhere in this draft we probably need to draft a center.  I doubt we sign Pocic, and Harris is in the last year of his contract and he seems to be an injury risk.  He just gets crushed under the larger D linemen.

12 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Somewhere in this draft we probably need to draft a center.  I doubt we sign Pocic, and Harris is in the last year of his contract and he seems to be an injury risk.  He just gets crushed under the larger D linemen.

Our tackle position seems tenuous too...

Will the Browns extend Wills? Will Conklin continue to be injury-prone? 

And at guard, Joel Bitonio was drafted in the infamous Justin Gilbert/Billy Manziel draft. That was a lifetime ago. 

13 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Busy watching Pickens, IDL from South Carolina.  

But when you're watching the trenches, you can't help but watch the assignments from the opposing Oline as well.  This center for Arkansas has REALLY caught my eye - #51, Stromberg.    Good eyes, good decision making, good wingspan and hand usage/anchor for a center and moves laterally fluid enough.   Looks like he's the one calling protections at the line too when the Razorbacks go up tempo.  Speaks to his coaches trusting his knowledge of the offense and how to set blocking points = football I.Q.     He also has a nice first punch in his short sets when he goes into pass pro, almost reminds me of the strikes you see OT's land. 

Arky has a nice mix so far of gap and zone calls, and he does a nice job looking strong and well leverage, then explosive and sound in the other.    Count me on board as interested in a VERY early day 3 prospect here. 

edit:

6'3, 306 with a 33 & 1/2 arm is great size for a center.   And seeing how this coaching staff seems to like taller centers, (Pocic, Deaton)... I'd say he's on the radar.   

Also can't help but notice the parallel the last few years in Browns personnel drafted and their overall athletic score via NFL.com.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ricky-stromberg/32005354-5260-5750-52b2-dda533841893

Thanks!  To your point, the back-up to Pocic was the 6-5 OG Hjalte Froholt (who also played OL for Arkansas like Stromberg before NE drafted him in the 4th round in 2019).

It'll be interesting to see what happens with 6'1" Nick Harris drafted by Berry.  He had an unfortunate season ending injury when he started at Center in the very 1st preseason game.  Prior to that, Stefanski had high praise about the off season work Harris put in to position himself for a great shot at the starting job.  Seems kind of interesting what ideal frames Callahan prefers at Center and what Andrew Berry preferred back in 2020. Since that has recently changed to taller guys, it looks like Berry might have listened to some input from Callahan about frame/size preference.  That's a good thing they're on the same page an working together.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

And at guard, Joel Bitonio was drafted in the infamous Justin Gilbert/Billy Manziel draft. That was a lifetime ago. 

Conklin always tries to play through injuries, which always seems to either aggravate the current injury or to predispose him to another one that causes him to miss starts.  Hopefully, he's healed up this offseason especially considering the generous new contract he got for a guy with his wear and tear.

To state the obvious, Wills really has to step it up this year.  The inconsistency at Left Tackle on the blind side of our $230 million QB looks like a red carpet welcome to the edge rushers on our schedule.  Reminds me of the 68 year old body Guards Saddam Hussain had protecting him from American Troops.  Gee, what could possibly go wrong there?  Tackle seems like a bigger priority than Center to me at this point.

The good thing is I think we have sufficient competition at Center to where we shouldn't have to spend a pick on 1 this year.

I see needs as DT/IDL, Safety, OT, WR, DE/Edge Rush, TE2 (given the situation at LT), LB.  The first need won't be satisfied with just 1 guy.  Given how often Denzel Ward gets injured we could use some depth at Cornerback.  Feels like we're heading to an all you can eat buffet on an empty stomach without a 1st round pick...  

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Take a look at 1st team AA Center John Michael Schmitz of Minn. Same size minus 5 lbs. and highest graded OL for 2022 by PFF. Drafttek says he's a mid-2nd rounder. But if we are not looking that high for another center or OG, seems like your guy would be a good pick for sure.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/john-michael-schmitz/32005343-4836-7249-e8ba-7c4c69915992

I doubt, especially with our current injury ridden log-jam, that we'll be entertaining a center that high.  Which is why I was looking early day 3 that also offers some positional flexibility. 

As Flugs pointed out as well, given Deaton and now Pocic, this front office is seeing some benefits of a center with some serious wingspan. 

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

We might, but it will be more a BPA type pick.  I don't think those positions will be given some sort of priority if there is some sort of grouping of players who grade out more or less the same.

This list does match to the agents (on twitter) that posted a 18 minute team interview at the combine..

WHO THE BROWNS MET WITH AT THE COMBINE..

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/Cleveland-Browns-NFL-Draft-News-notes-rumors-Scouting-combine-206020989/#206020989_1

Interior Defenders

Contents to color chart.. https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/Cleveland-Browns-2023-NFL-Draft-Prospects-Interior-Defensive-Line-206038676/#206038676_1

11661499.thumb.png.8f93ec6b6a917f08648b85f55529595a.png

If the plan is to add a 2nd young DT mid-rounds? Adding these pair of Longhorns to the list... 

Moro Ojomo https://www.nfl.com/prospects/moro-ojomo/32004f4a-4f42-6541-624d-798355140764

Keondre Colburn https://www.nfl.com/prospects/keondre-coburn/3200434f-4282-3710-d7b1-7bab7fe764f1

Sleeper alert.. Kobie Turner & Jerrod Clark

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Interior Defenders

Sleeper alert.. Kobie Turner & Jerrod Clark

I will be greatly disappointed if we don't get a superior IDL in free agency who can start immediately. IMO we are in big trouble barring a huge moveup for one of the top 3 in the draft if we don't get one in FA.

I much prefer to be in position for BPA regardless of position rather than have to use our 1st draft pick on IDL. Do the latter and I think it will end up the way the Browns usually end up in the off-season, a lose-lose.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I much prefer to be in position for BPA regardless of position rather than have to use our 1st draft pick on IDL. Do the latter and I think it will end up the way the Browns usually end up in the off-season, a lose-lose.

Aggie, 

Most of us sat on this board last post draft, posting trusting Taven Bryan & Elliott would be a risky choice.. Berry passed on fixing the DL & picked a Martin Emerson that I & most had to start with google (not Ag1969)... I can't remember a more flustrating draft than last season.. Adding K Cade York was the only thing I agreed on..

I'm guessing Berry might have a FA DT cap budget of 6M-8M... Jim Schwartz you find one or a combo of two..

Jordan Elliott is contracted to make 3M this season.. 6 others, are on the roster now, making a million (Winfrey) or less..

In Schwartz I'll trust.. We need a FA/Trade DT starter & a camp winner of Elliott vs. ________? 

edit-- here's a worth hope list..

FREE AGENT DEFENSIVE TACKLES

Year One Cash - Defensive Tackles

Javon Hargrave - $21.5m

Dre'Mont Jones - $20m

Zach Allen - $14m

Dalvin Tomlinson - $13.5m

Larry Ogunjobi - $11m

David Onyemata - $8m

Poona Ford - $7.5m

Matt Ioannidis - $7m

Fletcher Cox - $7m

Sheldon Rankins - $6.5m

Morgan Fox - $5m

Khalen Saunders - $5m

Jarran Reed - $4m

Dean Lowry - $4m

Shy Tuttle - $4m

Taven Bryan - $3.5m

Akiem Hicks - $3.5m

Greg Gaines - $3m

A'Shawn Robinson - $2.5m

will throw in a wildcard here too if you want DeForest Buckner let's say that costs pick 98

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2023 at 11:14 AM, gumby73 said:

Somewhat odd ?

What comes next/ is a Teams Pro Day schedule..

I've looked at many schedule sites.. And can't seem to find a Penn State's anywhere.. Maybe clearing WR Parker Washington might have something to do with scheduling a Penn State Pro day ? 

Can't confirm WR Parker Washington is ready?

But, can confirm Penn State has scheduled it's Pro Day for MARCH 24th

Can track some Pro day results here..  https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-draft-pro-day-tracker

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:06 PM, gumby73 said:

Final Four WR's...

download.jpg.bf5044c23cf5c58676e1a10ea85528ac.jpg

download.jpg.69372cf0939ddde52e062f7200b3f868.jpg

2nd to 4th round grades

Interesting Gumbs! I don't like ANY Northcutt clones that weigh in the 170s for anything other than a return specialist.  Take that with a grain of salt though since it's only me saying that with very, very limited time spent on researching prospects so far.  I REALLY like seeing Parker Washington has a compact 5'10" frame at 204 lbs with strength of 16 reps so it looks like we could line him up on the line of scrimmage when/if necessary.

I know you have a lot of familiarity with the local guys you see in the Carolinas and ACC.  If you're like me, you'd like to see your local studs end up with Cleveland. EDIT: I just cut and pasted 2nd and 3rd round mock drafts (in the next post) from 2 guys with Clevelandbrowns.com where 1 has the Browns drafting Josh Brown in round 2 and a DL in round 3.  If you had your choice, would you go with the Carolina Kid or the better RAS if it came down to Mingo or Downs?  I get the feeling there's a little James Taylor vibe working here - "In my mind I'm gone to Carolina..."  

Edited by Flugel

2023 ClevelandBrowns.com Mock Draft 1.0

Anthony Poisal and Jason Gibbs make their predictions for who the Browns might select with their first two draft picks

Mar 10, 2023 at 09:01 AM

BrownsStripe

•  
  •  
  •  

031023_MockDraft

We're 48 days away from Day 1 of the NFL Draft — and 47 days away from when the Browns are slated to make their first pick of the draft at No. 42 overall. 

The Browns don't have a first-round pick but will still likely need to select a player in Round 2 capable of making an immediate difference, and that pick has widely been projected by draft analysts to be spent toward a defensive linemen or wide receiver. Their second pick will come at No. 98 overall in the third round and could also be used at those positions, too.

The first mock draft from ClevelandBrowns.com with staff writer Anthony Poisal and radio producer Jason Gibbs follows those mock trends. We'll check back a few more times before the draft begins and find out next week how the free agency shuffle might affect the Browns' draft needs.

Anthony Poisal

Round 2 (No. 42)

WR Josh Downs, UNC - I think the Browns should take care of their needs at defensive line in free agency, where it should be much easier to find instant-impact players rather than taking a chance at finding a starter with a Day 2 rookie. They should have an easier time, however, finding a speedy receiver at this point of the draft who can immediately be inserted into the lineup and help them stretch opposing defenses. That's what a player like Downs can offer. It's far from a guarantee — but far from impossible — he'll still be available this late in the draft, but the Browns need to add another talented receiver and deep-ball threat for Deshaun Watson, and Downs meets the criteria.

Round 3 (No. 98)

DT Gervon Dexter, Florida - It might not be with their first draft pick, but I think the Browns will still want to draft a defensive lineman on Day 2. NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein tabbed Dexter with a grade that ranks him as "an above-average backup," which could still be an upgrade for a Browns interior D-Line that ranked near the bottom of the league last year. A team like the Browns looking to improve their run defense could be intrigued by his massive 6-foot-6, 310-pound frame.

Jason Gibbs

First mock draft of the year, and it's a weird one not having to guess anything in the first round…yet (I'm sure Poisal will eventually lead us down that path). Three biggest needs for the Browns in my eyes heading into free agency aren't really a surprise to anyone: defensive end, defensive tackle and ride Receiver. For me, it's all about accruing weapons for Deshaun Watson. Look at another team in our division — the Bengals are all about putting playmakers around Joe Burrow. I feel like the Browns need to do the same for Watson. You can never have enough.

Round 2 (No. 42)

WR Tyler Scott, Cincinnati - Probably a wish at this point after his combine, but hey, a man can dream can't he? Our friend Dane Brugler from The Athletic compares him to Tyler Lockett. Outstanding speed, a great route runner and, most importantly, he's a northeast Ohio kid from Norton who knows how to play in the weather. He didn't play out of the slot much in college, which could be a concern, but if that's his biggest flaw… Sign. Me. Up.

Round 3 (No. 98)

EDGE Zach Harrison, THE Ohio State University - If the Browns don't go defense at pick 42, I think they look to improve that side of the ball here in the third round, but not necessarily at DT. I think they bolster that DE room with the addition of Harrison from the Buckeyes. Harrison turned heads with his combine weigh-in process landing in the 99th percentile for arm length and wingspan. To play edge in the NFL you have to have length at the position and Harrison has it. The biggest question for him and the Browns: Will he still be there this late in the round? Remember, the Browns have multiple picks in the fourth and fifth round if they want to try and move up. Plenty of Day 3 assets to throw around.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Flugel said:

"Remember, the Browns have multiple picks in the fourth and fifth round if they want to try and move up. Plenty of Day 3 assets to throw around."

To me this is the real key unless we get those needed areas fully filled in FA.