THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

The simpler point is that quarterbacks are going to get hurt.

(the simplest point is that the concussion protocol has fucked up the game)

WSS

C'mon Man! If you think you've got a better chance of making it through a season with Manziel/RG3 vs Brady/Rodgers you're high.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing what a title will do for someone.......a title like "first round pick", for example......

If we picked Johnny in the 3rd round or the 5th round(where many thought he SHOULD be picked).......would he even be here now?....would people still be expecting great things?.......would there be so many fighting for him to stay?.....

I think not.....

This is the only reason I can fathom for the organization not moving forward. It's a oh shit we fucked up on another first round pick. To be more of a conspiracy nut if ODB, Aaron Donald or CJ Mosley was drafted instead of Gilbert, Manziel would be gone. To say that Ray Farmer has been anything other than a complete clusterfuck is insane.

It's amazing what a title will do for someone.......a title like "first round pick", for example......

If we picked Johnny in the 3rd round or the 5th round(where many thought he SHOULD be picked).......would he even be here now?....would people still be expecting great things?.......would there be so many fighting for him to stay?.....

I think not.....

Or....

If JM had to sweat in the green room until Rnd 3 when we some team called and asked him, "Did you get the message, Son? No one trusts you with their team." Would then he have applied himself Day 1 and been ready for OTAs and camp?

Or....

Would then he have applied himself Day 1 and been ready for OTAs and camp?

Or.....not understanding how to deal with the lack of entitlement.....

....would he have taken it to heart and just completely spiraled out of control from day 1....???....

Either option is a realistic possibility.....but we will never know...... :unsure:

Or Mariotta or Bilgewater or "California Slim?"

WSS

Absolutely. I'd even throw Newton on that list because when you are essentially a RB you are at a greater risk. Now that all being said, Bridgewater, Kaepernik, RG3 and Newton have all had more NFL success than Johnny

Absolutely. I'd even throw Newton on that list because when you are essentially a RB you are at a greater risk. Now that all being said, Bridgewater, Kaepernik, RG3 and Newton have all had more NFL success than Johnny

And they've not had a head coach with a hard on to keep them off the field.

WSS

Alex Smith threw for 125 yards in the game, although his completion percentage was much better. The Chiefs also have a pretty darn good defense and the weather was crap.

There is still plenty of work for Johnny to do, as Gannon repeatedly mentioned during the broadcast. I don't see why he shouldn't be given a chance to compete for the starting job in training camp/preseason.

I don't see why he shouldn't be given a chance to compete for the starting job in training camp/preseason.

I think thats a fair statement, but the real issue that is so hotly debated is whether there should even be a competition for the job...

Do we just start him for 16 games anyway?.....Cause I think there is a pretty large faction here that thinks he should start no matter what....even if there are other QB's who outplay and outwork him in pre-season or camp....just so "he has a proper chance like all the other #1 picks, yada yada...."

So....the real question is....do we just hand it over to Johnny?....or have a competition? ....and if he loses, then what?....

I think thats a fair statement, but the real issue that is so hotly debated is whether there should even be a competition for the job...

Do we just start him for 16 games anyway?.....Cause I think there is a pretty large faction here that thinks he should start no matter what....even if there are other QB's who outplay and outwork him in pre-season or camp....just so "he has a proper chance like all the other #1 picks, yada yada...."

So....the real question is....do we just hand it over to Johnny?....or have a competition? ....and if he loses, then what?....

No, we still have Austin Davis, who has shown to be at least a decent starting option. If Manziel cannot show that he deserves the starting job over another young and somewhat proven QB, then you don't start him, but I think you still start the next off season with Manziel as the #1.

Fact is, nothing we get for trading Manziel, or Gordon for the matter, will be worth the risk of trading him. If we could recoup a 2nd rounder for each, then maybe, but anything other than that you should just let their contracts play out and see what you get.

I haven't seen anyone so far in this draft outside of maybe the Mepheis kid who would be worth drafting and giving up on Manziel. Hopefully some of those preseason "1st round" Big Ten QB's fall down to the 3rd round or later, I wouldn't mind picking up a guy to bring in and test out.

He's got two more years under contract at roughly 2.5M cap hit with practically all of it guaranteed, so you only cut bait with him if he continues to be a headache off the field. What kind of return can you expect if you trade him away?

There is so much uncertainty at the moment it's almost pointless to discuss it. What does ownership do with Farmer/Pettine? Would a new coach be willing to work with Johnny or would he rather draft a new QB? If you decide to draft a guy like Paxton Lynch in the first round you've made it clear that Johnny is done. Might as well play McCown in 2016 and then start Lynch once he's ready.

I don't see why he shouldn't be given a chance to compete for the starting job in training camp/preseason.

I think thats a fair statement, but the real issue ...is....do we just hand it over to Johnny?....or have a competition? ....and if he loses, then what?....

you only cut bait with him if he continues to be a headache off the field. What kind of return can you expect if you trade him away?

There is so much uncertainty at the moment it's almost pointless to discuss it

So....ok.....you lost me completely...... :blink:

So....ok.....you lost me completely...... :blink:

Haha I'll try to clear it up. Based on what he's done thus far and the current QB situation, I don't see why he shouldn't be given a change to compete for the starting job in training camp/preseason. At the same time, we don't know what the team will do with Farmer and Pettine, so the situation might change completely between now and training camp.

If you draft a QB in the first round then you've made it clear that Johnny has no future in Cleveland. You're going to hold on to McCown so he can mentor the new QB, so why keep Johnny when he will be the QB3? Might as well trade him away and draft someone late that you can groom into the backup.

If he continues to have off the field issues in the offseason than you cut bait straight away.

If neither of those happens and you stick with the QBs currently on the roster, then you give all three players a chance to compete for the starting job. Johnny wins, you start him. Johnny loses out, keep him as the back up.

That's my line of thinking...

If we draft a QB in 2016, you have to have traded JM before the ink on the card was dry.

As soon as the pick is announced whatever trade value he had is slashed.

If we draft a QB in 2016, you have to have traded JM before the ink on the card was dry.

As soon as the pick is announced whatever trade value he had is slashed.

True, but the decision of drafting a QB will be made well in advance, so there will be plenty of time to make a trade prior to the draft.

If JM isn't in rehab again by next week then you can count him as a goner from the Browns. No need to wait since the season ends tomorrow. He needs not only the refresher course, but a full regular aftercare plan of action with at least one really good sponsor. That latest selfie in the face of all the promises to act like an elite position keeper is nothing more than pure self destructive behavior very common among those with an active problem not be addressed. Same goes for the one after being named as starter the rest of the season the first time.

Personally I think the die is already cast. I give him a 10% chance of waking up before he's gone. Very disappointing for those of us who knew he had the talent, but were unaware of the extent of the rest of it. Pretty bad when you betray the trust of those most loyal & supportive. His family must be even sicker at what they've seen.

And sadly for the Browns fans I really don't think there is a talented NFL QB in this draft. I'd still go with defense first with at least one more decent wr.

Some responses here about faking are just plain ignorant. If Manziel is "faking" a concussion, then the MD who is checking him for it needs to be fired for not knowing how to detect a "fake" from a real concussion. It's ludicrous to suggest that either Manziel or Pettine are using this as a convenient out for Sunday.

I wouldn't claim he is faking it......my only issue is why they didn't do a day to day evaluation. Instead they just declared him OUT.

I mean....is there something they are seeing that says there is no way no how that he can be cleared before Sunday.

It just sounded like a complete snap judgment to me.

I don't know enough about it I guess....and honestly.....I don't want to know. The whole concussion subject bores the life out of me.

I have absolutely NO interest in seeing this movie that is coming out.

Its like all these politically correct movies....whatever the subject.. No interest.

Here's what I would guess. He seemed genuinely disgusted with his performance last week and seems like the kind of guy I would like to get that back. I would bet he probably had a headache or something after the game but, like most of us, thought well if it's not cleared up by tomorrow, or the next day maybe I'll say something to somebody about it.

It either didn't go away or got worse so he reported it. Nothing more sinister than that I'd bet.

WSS

Everybody here knows me, I am a huge Johnny fan (boy). I have more experience watching Johnny than most people here.

This whole thing is fishy as hell. The latest Johnny video, the Wednesday concussion... This is weird. Johnny, despite his really bad judgment, is not a dumb guy. He's also one of the most competitive people you'll ever see. He played through tons of "injuries" in college, including a broken thumb, bad throwing shoulder, hurt knee, and many "possible" concussions.

I just can't see him reporting a concussion on Wednesday if he thought he would be in a Browns uniform next season. He would love nothing better than to beat Pittsburgh, but something we don't know is making him choose to not do what he loves to do - play football.

All this is speculation on my part, but this looks like a way to cement Johnny going to the Cowboys. I don't think there's any way he is back with the Browns next year, and I don't think any other team would want him, which is sad for me because I really think he has NFL talent. So whether Jerry trades a late round pick for him or picks him up after the Browns cut him, I think Johnny will be a Cowboy next season.

If I'm right, this is just another bad chapter in the "Johnny and the Browns" book, mostly due to Johnny's immaturity and stupid decisions. Maybe I'm wrong and Johnny doesn't even know what day it is due to his concussion, but that would go against everything I thought I knew about him.

Archived